No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-04-26, 2:50pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Color of studio inside

I was just wondering if any of you have had to change the color of your studio?
Either because you just couldn't stand that color and it made you feel icky or your muse didn't like it...?

Have any of you found out you really do torch better with certain colors?
We are going to buy a shed at home depot soon and because of the heat here in Red Bluff I thought I would paint the west and south walls that get the most heat a deep grape or plum and the east and north walls spanish olive or spiced gingerbread.

I know I can't stand the old hospital green color or puce.

I surly don't want to have to change the colors. I just priced paint for the time in years. Holy Cow!!! Any preferences to brand? The colors I listed above are all from the Glidden website.

http://www.glidden.com/color/color-v...6=&cid7=&cid8=

Here is the little shed I want but DH wants me to get a tuff shed. They don't do the cute little windows...
Attached Images

Old 2011-04-26, 3:24pm

I wouldn't go "dark" if I were you ... it will make the walls close in around you. My torch room is a medium blue and I have a really hard time with getting the lighting bright enough even tho I have 3 sets of fluorescent (double) light fixtures AND a standard ceiling light.

I am thinking about going with lilac blush and maybe misty aqua.

Make it a "creative" space that you will WANT to go to.

Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-26, 5:17pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you Cheryl! That makes perfect sense. It is a small shed so I don't it to feel closed in at all. I am taking your wise words to heart. Yellows always make me happy and lavenders and ocean blues.

I just checked out the two colors you chose and Lilac Blush and Misty aqua look terrific and light and airy.

I think I might try lime sorbet, spicy banana pepper and fresh pineapple for the inside walls, and for the outside I think I want to paint it like one of these adorable little sheds in the pictures.

Both color combos are very pleasing to me and would look cute on the patio.

Maybe we can share some finished photos? I hope to have mine purchased within the next two weeks but it is going to be awhile before we can get the patio ready for it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-04-26 at 5:20pm.
Old 2011-04-26, 5:48pm
Bead Obsessed

We painted mine a pale, almost white pink with EDP accent. So I have bright and creative purple for my muse.

Old 2011-04-26, 6:11pm
I'm a lilac!

My workspace has concrete walls (it's a converted carriage house/garage) and I am constantly wishing I'd painted them white before moving everything in.

Old 2011-04-26, 6:38pm

I am buying a very similar shed soon myself. It is a suncast. I am thinking that most of my walls will be covered with 'stuff'. I want the peg board glass storage on most of one wall (that will be white behind the glass). I have an artist girlfriend who is working with me to paint and decorate a cork board. I am considering mirror or mirror tile in front of my torch. I am not envisioning a lot of empty wall space...................

SRA #C88

Old 2011-04-26, 7:08pm
I'm meeeeelting

I painted mine white, because I was afraid of throwing glass color off if I went with a color (I have no idea how real an issue that is), although the walls behind my torch and kiln have hardiboard on them, so they're beige, and I put red and black wall decals on my front wall.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-04-26, 7:26pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELSEY View Post
We painted mine a pale, almost white pink with EDP accent. So I have bright and creative purple for my muse.
Yep, purple any shade is my fav with turquoise and lime a close second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
My workspace has concrete walls (it's a converted carriage house/garage) and I am constantly wishing I'd painted them white before moving everything in.
Kalera you could probably get someone to help you move it all out and paint in exchange for a free class with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozles View Post
I am buying a very similar shed soon myself. It is a suncast. I am thinking that most of my walls will be covered with 'stuff'. I want the peg board glass storage on most of one wall (that will be white behind the glass). I have an artist girlfriend who is working with me to paint and decorate a cork board. I am considering mirror or mirror tile in front of my torch. I am not envisioning a lot of empty wall space...................
I agree I will have a pegboard wall for my frit blends that I can start doing again, but I really like the cork board idea. I just want any cracks, crevices or spaces that show through to be one of my happy place colors..LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
I painted mine white, because I was afraid of throwing glass color off if I went with a color (I have no idea how real an issue that is), although the walls behind my torch and kiln have hardiboard on them, so they're beige, and I put red and black wall decals on my front wall.
Hmmm, I don't know either but I do use an ott light on my torch bench. So far it works very well. Red and black is high energy I would I think help the muses...?
Old 2011-04-27, 4:44am

OOHHH that little cottage is so cute!!! Very fresh and airy!

Well, my re-vamp is going to be quite a bit longer than 2 weeks

Have to get a stained glass swag lamp done for my Mom for Mother's Day and have a "potentially really big bead order" waiting for final approval.

So, unfortunately the studio re-vamp will get put on the back burner again. It is such a huge undertaking for me. Because I do so many things, I have to do my studio plus 2 storage rooms all at the same time. To top it all off, summer is coming ... at which time hubby always wants to move to camp for the summer and commute back and forth everyday.

I look forward to seeing your pics for inspiration ... the colors you mentioned sound yummy!

Have fun!
Cheryl

Old 2011-04-27, 5:08am
Resident hippie

I did a bit of my studio with fresh white before I moved stuff in. Now, like Kalere I wish I'd done it all beforehand. I was just this morning looking at it and planning to do it. Yeah, sometime. . .

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-04-27, 5:48am
Hobby Junkie

I will be moving into a "shedio" this summer. I plan to tile the floor in white and black checkerboard and paint the walls a nice cheery blue/turquoise.

Old 2011-04-27, 6:01am
Detail G-Mama!

I wish I could paint the inside of my studio. It's nice wood walls in side but it is dark wood. Still needs to be cleaned out also! I would go with a Robins egg blue or something along that color if I could paint.

Old 2011-04-27, 6:24am
Loving learning

I have a shed too, but there is so much junk in it that I'm getting depressed hearing about all the fun colors/ideas. It is colored vinyl, and I never thought of painting. It's just a deep cream I guess you'd say. If I could just get it neat and keep it that way it would be better I'm sure.

Edited to say, the outside is cream with burgundy shutters, but the inside is white, mostly covered up by shelving and other stuff, and the 2x4 braces and studs are just raw wood. I wish I would have painted them before I moved anything inside. I did paint the wood floor a deep rosey brick that I found for $5 at HD in the offcast paint, and it was for wood flooring, yea!

Last edited by Eileen; 2011-04-27 at 1:35pm.
Old 2011-04-27, 12:53pm
Pyromaniac

The first wall color in my studio (garagio) was like legal pad yellow! Blech!
Suggesting whatever you pick you go a shade or two lighter. Everytime I went in there I cringed, but now I love it.

Anyway, I chose a lighter version called Celery and I love it, it's a very pale yellow green.

The original color on the right:

The softer version:

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2011-04-27 at 1:01pm.
Old 2011-04-27, 1:22pm
Francesca

I battled with this topic for quite a while myself. I LOVE color and nothing would have made me happier than to go crazy with dream colors!! However, after reading lots of threads on here I went with a subtle white that I made myself with 1/2 cans of leftover paint that I had lying around. Lighter colors definitely keep your space open.

Old 2011-04-27, 1:37pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamscapes Studio View Post
OOHHH that little cottage is so cute!!! Very fresh and airy!

Well, my re-vamp is going to be quite a bit longer than 2 weeks

Have to get a stained glass swag lamp done for my Mom for Mother's Day and have a "potentially really big bead order" waiting for final approval.

So, unfortunately the studio re-vamp will get put on the back burner again. It is such a huge undertaking for me. Because I do so many things, I have to do my studio plus 2 storage rooms all at the same time. To top it all off, summer is coming ... at which time hubby always wants to move to camp for the summer and commute back and forth everyday.

I look forward to seeing your pics for inspiration ... the colors you mentioned sound yummy!

Have fun!
Cheryl
Boy do I know about the back burner murphys law thingy!!! Thank-you for the color compliments but the colors keep changing. I keep playing the virtual paint rooms..LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadanna View Post
I did a bit of my studio with fresh white before I moved stuff in. Now, like Kalere I wish I'd done it all beforehand. I was just this morning looking at it and planning to do it. Yeah, sometime. . .
Do it while you have nice weather and promise yourself a treat for doing it...like a new glass tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
I will be moving into a "shedio" this summer. I plan to tile the floor in white and black checkerboard and paint the walls a nice cheery blue/turquoise.
Congrats on the new shedio this summer...the colors sound wonderful, can't wait to see the pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
I wish I could paint the inside of my studio. It's nice wood walls in side but it is dark wood. Still needs to be cleaned out also! I would go with a Robins egg blue or something along that color if I could paint.
If some of the walls are away from hot tools and equipment maybe you could just put up some rods and hang some colorful material around to break up the dark wood.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I have a shed too, but there is so much junk in it that I'm getting depressed hearing about all the fun colors/ideas. It is colored vinyl, and I never thought of painting. It's just a deep cream I guess you'd say. If I could just get it neat and keep it that way it would be better I'm sure.
Oh, don't get depressed I looked at vinyl sheds too but couldn't figure out how to insulate it without a framework inside....The vinyl shed had great skylights and I really liked it but DH said NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
The first wall color in my studio (garagio) was like legal pad yellow! Blech!
Suggesting whatever you pick you go a shade or two lighter. Everytime I went in there I cringed, but now I love it.

Anyway, I chose a lighter version called Celery and I love it, it's a very pale yellow green.

The original color on the right:

The softer version:

The celery is one of my fav colors. I keep playing on the virtual paint site, so many combos...I really like your studio and I think the hutch and sitting area is perfectly framed with the wall colors. It stands out nicely.
Old 2011-04-27, 1:55pm
Loving learning

Lorraine,

As to insulation:

I have it under a large oak, so that helps in summer. I do have studs every 2 feet, and the shed guy said he had put inside walls in his, but I don't want to lose the shelves we've made between the shelves. We put rigid insulation (meaning my DH did it!) in the ceiling because it was losing heat through the ridge vent this winter, and I may put some of the same type (rigid foam with foil covering) between the studs on the front if needed, but my little A/C unit does a pretty good job when it gets really hot outside, which is more of a problem here. I did buy a small electric heater that I used when I was using my potter's wheel before we added the barrier in the ceiling. It warmed up right after the ceiling was finished, so I'm not sure how much it will help but I'm hoping for the best.
Old 2011-04-27, 11:19pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by frano View Post
I battled with this topic for quite a while myself. I LOVE color and nothing would have made me happier than to go crazy with dream colors!! However, after reading lots of threads on here I went with a subtle white that I made myself with 1/2 cans of leftover paint that I had lying around. Lighter colors definitely keep your space open.

Well, after some thought I think i will just go with COLORS..as I too love them so much and my shed is going to be small 8X10 or 10 X 10 probably so just glass, a torch bench and one frit wall. Can't make it look too much bigger, small is small. I guess I will just call it my "SHE CAVE!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Lorraine,

As to insulation:

I have it under a large oak, so that helps in summer. I do have studs every 2 feet, and the shed guy said he had put inside walls in his, but I don't want to lose the shelves we've made between the shelves. We put rigid insulation (meaning my DH did it!) in the ceiling because it was losing heat through the ridge vent this winter, and I may put some of the same type (rigid foam with foil covering) between the studs on the front if needed, but my little A/C unit does a pretty good job when it gets really hot outside, which is more of a problem here. I did buy a small electric heater that I used when I was using my potter's wheel before we added the barrier in the ceiling. It warmed up right after the ceiling was finished, so I'm not sure how much it will help but I'm hoping for the best.
Glad to hear the insulation helped. Cold and hot weather seem to be our worse torching time enemies.
Old 2011-04-28, 3:59am

just durious, why did hubby say no to vinyl?

SRA #C88

Old 2011-04-28, 5:43am

I have concrete basement walls on three sides. Used adhesive and attached a Monet Waterlillies poster that had foam-core on its back. I couldn't stand the concrete. The fourth wall has cabinets that were white. They've been dry-brushed with purple and lime green.
My red metal cart and tool chest also add color. It is so much better. Now I'm comfortable in the space. Before, not so much.
Good luck with your new space.
Joan
Old 2011-04-28, 7:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
I did not go with white but I went with a light neutral color due to having the color of the glass reflect off the walls and give me a different shade of glass I was not expecting....

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2011-04-28, 10:09am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozles View Post
just durious, why did hubby say no to vinyl?
We have very hot summers here from June to Halloween and to have the whole summer 105-116 on average is really hard on vinyls. It will hold up for 2-3 years and then it will start to warp, fade, shrink or move around.

I checked out these sheds from owners in Phoenix and other hot places and most say wood would have been better in the long run, but if you can afford to buy one every four or five years then vinyl is the way to go.

Also in order to add any benches or insulation we have no wood framework like a wood shed has to build off of so adding a wood frame inside really raises the costs and time involved and he likes that the Tuff sheds also come with a metal foundation flooring kit.

Best thing about the plastic sheds are ease of putting them up, no termites, and costs.

We also get very high winds here at times and he feels the wood will hold up better and for putting holes in for our venting and intake fan and A/C he knows how to finish off the wood leak free and is not really sure about the vinyl and because he is paying for it and doing most of the setup work I need him to be a happy camper too.
Old 2011-04-28, 11:41am

Default see....

we made the decision on vinyl because my husband thought it would be easier to cut holes in it and the high high humidty is hell on wood. I did not want a metal shed.

One vinyl shed I looked at had a hook and hole system inside for adding shelves and such, but i choose mine for its windows - gotta have windows. We still rent so I dont want to put much into it and the wood sheds are much more expensive, from what i can find.

I am a little worried about the wind, but we generally do now have a large amount of wind.

SRA #C88

Old 2011-04-28, 12:59pm
Loving learning

I wanted the windows also. The shed was delivered and set up for us with anchors, and is under warranty for ~ shoot, I forget, but a lot of years anyway.

I bet the wood will be cooler though, more insulating from that heat.
We found a source of paver "seconds" and I'm glad we added that, since we don't really have a lawn, and it's very sandy here.
Old 2011-04-28, 2:14pm
Salt Box Beads

Cute shed. Yes, sometimes it is hard because where we live really factors in.

I couldn't have a white or yellow or bright outside color because the patio sitting area, BBQ area etc. is right next to the spot we can put it and the glare would be horrendous from those light walls during the summer.

I might even have to go with a mini barn to raise the roof even higher to help with the heat, in which case I would need the 10 X 12. So many decisions...just when I think I have it figured out!

It is just soooo big though. Here is DH's 10 X 12 we just put up. It would never fit on the smaller upper patio without blocking the view completely from the house.
Attached Images

Old 2011-04-28, 2:17pm

My studio was my husband's unused study over our detached garage. It is painted a french blue, almost navy and I hate it! We have 6 large windows so it is plenty bright but the color really bugs me so much that I avoid torching. I really need to change it and was thinking a taupe with light robin's egg blue ceilings(the walls are short with slanted ceilings) and then I want to paint my tables and bookcases a sagey green.
Old 2011-04-28, 2:41pm
Loving learning

Oh, the barn is so cute!
Old 2011-04-28, 3:59pm

I love everyones shedios. If we ever moved from this house I would get one too. I torch in a spare room upstairs that is painted tiffiany blue and I love it!! Its my little sanctuary. All I need is an iPad to view my tuts on up there and I will be all set!
Caroline
Old 2011-04-28, 6:22pm
Salt Box Beads

Well I think have decided on outside colors that will not disturb DH or the neighbors, they will have to look at it too so I will be kind.

I really want to have a lot of potted plants and trees around it so hopefully it will look more like a little oasis than 'a shed', when you look out onto the patio from the house. So that being said I decided on a green theme for the outside.

That should showcase the plants, blend in and be a good background for all of the majolica type lizards that hang on the walls and pots I want to decorate with. I think they will become my bright spots.

Here is a link to the chosen colors. Now, the inside will be very different!!!

http://www.glidden.com/color/color-v...6=&cid7=&cid8=

This is a fun site but set the timer because you can be here all evening!
Old 2011-05-01, 6:16am

Be aware that the reflected light from a dark/bold wall will add some tint to the procieved color of items in that room. It may not be much, but it will happen. Even a tree close to a window will add a little green to the procieved light in the room. The only time I ran into this was when I was matching colors, but I have never forgotten about it...