Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-03-01, 3:31pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by recipegal
how deep do most of you cut the actual containers for these/ It seems to me that the glass rods at my first class were quite a bit shorter than the ones i bought through the mail. I'm wondering if it's mis-memories or different suppliers cutting differently.

I don't want to cut inefficiently- but I'd love to get my small amount of glass off the counter
Mine is 12".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-03-02, 4:28pm
Just me

I was supposed to post a pic of my glass storage in this thread a long time ago. Man a mind is a terrible thing to waste!

I cut all my fence rails 13" because I'm a clutz and didn't want any of the rods sticking out. The shelf they are stacked in is supposed to sit on top of an office desk. I got this thing for free with a couple of desks an office was tossing out. I have it sitting on top of an old metal door which is stacked on cinder blocks on top of an old coffee table. Just using what I have.

I have a lot more rails to cut and want to fill the upper and lower shelves eventually to accomodate the other coe glasses I have. What you see there is my effetre, vetrofond and lauscha. It looks like more than it is really. Quite a few cubbies only have a couple rods in them.

Old 2006-03-03, 6:22am

I usually store mine whole and then cut it into 1/2 making them around 18". When I actually organize my glass, I think I'll cut it when I get it home, but probably still in half.

Last edited by Just Nancy; 2006-03-03 at 6:25am.
Old 2006-03-03, 7:12am

Thanks Nancy- it was escaping me how people got it so nice and neat in some of those cubbies
Old 2006-03-03, 9:09am

The thing that escapes me is no one seems to have a bunch of shorts in their cubbies. (And everyone is so organized, except me.) So, I'm thinking keeping the 'whole' partial rod in the cubby and the shorts on something someplace else.

Maybe I miss the point on the whole thing.
Old 2006-03-03, 2:20pm
Thank God I'm Friendly

I use 2" watchmaker cases for my frits, enamels & powders - they have clear glass lids and aluminum cases so you can see the frits and roll hot glass in them without melting the sides. I'll try to post pics this weekend...

Old 2006-03-03, 7:26pm
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy
The thing that escapes me is no one seems to have a bunch of shorts in their cubbies. (And everyone is so organized, except me.) So, I'm thinking keeping the 'whole' partial rod in the cubby and the shorts on something someplace else.

Maybe I miss the point on the whole thing.
If you have looked at Kalera's studio pics, you'll see what I'm planning to do. She uses shallow metal pans to store all her "shorts" and used rods - looks like one pan for each COE. They just sit on top of the rest of the glass on that shelf. I'm going to get some cheapie heavy foil pans for now, but I think that's better than trying to keep them upright in glasses. It's easier to dig a rod out of a flat pan than try to pick it out of a prickly bouquet in a glass.

Teresa
Old 2006-03-12, 5:25pm

well here is mine. I bought a few of the laminate storage cubbies at walmart or target and so far I am only using one. I drew up my glass color labels with excel and I was going to cut them out and then tape them to the inside of the pvc and my Shane was like "why dont you use a glue stick" DUHHH! Well it works out great for me but I am out of pvc again. I went to lowes to check on the vinyl fence railing and they do not carry it here. Then I checked on the florescent light covers and they were $7 for 8 feet. Well I get pvc for 4.28 for 10 feet so... more pvc to cut!
The right side is moretti and the left is supposed to be vetro but I ran out of space on the moretti side. See I need to break out that other cubbie.

I have about 25# of glass on the way so I cant wait to see it full!!!! OMG I have given each its own compartment and labeled it and I cant wait!!! I am so "nesting" LOL But my poor coral is all bundled together in an empty spot

Old 2006-03-21, 6:43pm
N2Beadz

Okay, I now have a really bad case of storage envy. Not to mention glass envy. I see some of you are surely considered glass hoarders. I thought I was doing fairly well with my collection of rods. I'll be unable to keep up with most of you after spending way too much money on my bead hobby collection last year before discovering lampworking. I really love all your set ups. Surely gave me some ideas to work on.

My husband gave me a little area of the garage so I don't have all that much room to work with. He just decided to purchase one of the new 2007 Shelby Cobra Mustangs coming out in June/July so I guess asking for more garage space is really a bad idea. I'll have to be sharing my space with his hot rod soon.

So now I need to cover the space he gave me completely so that I don't loose any of it when he decides he needs extra space for something. I could always more into the formal living room which we don't use. I've already taken over the formal dinning room with all my beads. The huge dinning room table works really well as a work area. I can have awesome bead jewelry parties.

Thanks for the pics with ideas everyone,
Donia
Old 2006-04-01, 2:55pm
Surrounded by Trouble

So I am always late to the party.
A dear friend of mine made this for me, it hold most my glass. Love the divider shelf so my different coe's can be put on top. I have showed a pic of it with and without the PVC pipes so you can see it has a light in the back. The transparet glass shines so bright when I plug in the light. There is a little door in the back so I can change out the bulb when I need to. Also love that it is on wheels so I can move it if I ever need to. My kiln now sits on top.
I think I counted over 160 tubes that it will hold.

Old 2006-04-04, 12:44pm

Shawn,
That's a good friend to have around! Beautiful option. The light is a wonderful idea. I've been using my light table as I sort glass that has previously been just thrown together. I would have never thought to have included a light in the cabinet. (But then I don't have finished storage yet. )
Nancy
Old 2006-04-04, 7:59pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Nancy, Thank You I love it! The light is the best, and it was my friends idea who built it for me. He had been to my stuido and first thing he said was you need more storage for your glass. Have no idea what would have given him that idea. Could it be the stacks of glass I had on my work table or the bundels laying on the floor, since my old one was full to the brim.
Best thing about having a light in the back of it is it I mix up and put a rod in the wrong stop, like the pale and light blues that are so close together, I can tell right away when I turn on the light that they are in the wrong spot.
Also it just looks pretty when the glass shines through it.

Old 2006-04-06, 3:25am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Wow, Shawn! That storage dealie is a thing of beauty! I bet it looks really cool with the light shining through all the glass! What a good friend you have!

Lil
Old 2006-04-06, 4:59pm

Hey Donia,

Would love to see your set-up. I haven't had time to bead or lampwork lately...but still got the urge! We all need to get together on a evening or weekend some time soon. Felicia
Old 2006-04-07, 1:45pm

I use the flourescent tubes. The difference is, I put 2 of them into a downspout section, and I have a wooden cube that they fit in. Each flourescent tube holds 1 lb of glass, and in the 1-foot square box I use for the arrangement I can fit 90 colors. Each tube is labeled with the color name, reorder number, and coe in case I try boro some time in the future! Works for me!
Old 2006-05-19, 6:53pm

Time for a new post. This is what I'm currently using for 63 colors. I can't afford more at the moment but when I can I will buy more.

Edit: Please note, people are having problems with this supplier. I am trying to correct posts when I see them. If you see an old one please warn people. I love my unit but I don't want anyone else to have problems.

Last edited by Just Nancy; 2008-03-27 at 5:06am. Reason: removing contact info
Old 2006-06-16, 8:57am
greenesh

Default Tennis, anyone?

I'm a newbie, so don't have as much glass as you-all, but I was already having storage problems. So...I took a plastic "milk crate" and filled it with tennis ball CONTAINERS. They are round (like the PVC) and are 8 inches tall. When I get a real studio, I'll get better storage, but for now, at least I can separate the glass, see what I am doing, and move it easily!
Shirley
Old 2006-06-17, 10:29am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I can remember the days when I kept ALL my glass inventory in two glass flower vases

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2006-06-28, 1:04pm
Michelle Morrison-Geschke

Default and to think...

I almost have something in common with the world famous Tink!

Ok, so it's not even one full flower vase, but I'm getting close!

Tink, if you're ever in Oregon, I sure hope to meet you someday!
Your vessels are to drool for!

Michelle

and
New items!

I'm mostly over at Facebook these days... and working. Life has gotten... Hectic. I will try to check messages here... but try FB if you need me...
Old 2006-09-05, 10:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette
Plastic stackable storage container purchased at Walmart for $15. Use the 6" fencing material for the glass:

open

closed
Shawnette,
I have looked for these everywhere I can think of. How long ago did you buy these? You probably bought the last ones ever made and I will never find them. LOL.

Susie
Old 2006-09-06, 6:46am
I fart diamonds

1 year and you're probably right because I haven't been able to find any more, either. I ran out of space so Sunday I built a new case:

24 x24 and made out of MDF, with wheels and a light. I'm so proud of myself!! I think I should have gone bigger, though. I'm already running out of space and I haven't even finished transferring the glass over! It holds 52 sections of the fence rail, so that's enough space for 300+ lbs of glass. (Each cubby holds 2lbs 4-5mm 13" glass. More if it's long rods) Fits perfectly in the corner with my kiln on top. I'm going to use the old cases for frit and my Asian glass collection.

Last edited by shawnette; 2006-09-06 at 6:49am.
Old 2006-09-06, 11:39am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I just bought this fencing yesterday at the local Lowes. Home Depot didn't heve it, but the Lowes all did.
Old 2006-09-07, 3:17am
Knob Creek Glass

Each section of the fence rail should hold approximately 2 pounds of glass.
Old 2006-09-07, 4:58am
<--Want a Kiss

Great job Shawnette. Congrats on being Ms Handywoman. I really like the light - that's a great idea.

mini cc w/EX-15 oxycon
Old 2006-09-07, 9:11am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaracollins
Each section of the fence rail should hold approximately 2 pounds of glass.
Actually, each section holds 6lbs because each cubby holds 2lbs and there are 3 cubbies per section. Even more if the rods are long like BE and Uroboros.

Old 2006-09-07, 9:21pm
Fire Monkey

You are so handy ma'am
I love it!

H

Old 2006-09-08, 2:36am
Knob Creek Glass

I just bought more of the fence rail last night. My wall of glass is now about 6 ft by 4 ft. My DH did not want me to buy more fence rail, because he rightly presumed that I would fill it up with more glass!
Old 2006-09-08, 5:29am

Smart man you've got there. At least it is organized glass.
Old 2006-09-09, 6:07am
Knob Creek Glass

What he does not know is that about 30 pounds will come next week, when I am out of town.

And then!!!!
Old 2006-09-09, 8:43am
Spoiled

I had posted this in another post a couple of days ago but I figured I'd post it here too. It's one of those cheap bookshelves ($1 from either Lowe's or Menard's filled with sections of the ranch fencing. Boy I love that stuff. The shelf spacing is perfect. And my frits are sitting on top.

There's another one of the bookshelves next to it that I have all my books and magazines on.
Attached Images

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.