No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-03-05, 9:25am
Mary Lockwood

Default Simple Starfish Pictorial on a mandrel

Hi!

I had an email request recently for some help making a starfish bead on a mandrel. Bear in mind that I haven't actually made any starfish on a mandrel, they have all been offhand. I did want to share with everyone though, my response to the request in case it helps someone else too.

I guess this is a pretty all-purpose pictorial because you could make sideways hanging star beads out of it too, and whatever else your imagination can come up with.

First, here is the picture I sent, after that I have the email message it accompanied. Have fun!
Please notice that the mandrel is off-center in the tab. This allows for symmetrical placement of the arms. If the mandrel were running dead center, it would impede the arm placement.

I have made offhand starfish before, but I've never tried one on a mandrel. I've put together a little pictorial for you and I'm attaching it to this email.

As far as tips go, if you look at real starfish, they generally have a simple, repetitive pattern on their surface. If you are going for realism, I suggest building the center and the arms out of all one color, smoothing them out, then heating just the front-facing surface hot enough to cover it with frit. Get a relatively deep pile of frit, heat the face of the starfish to glowing, then press the whole thing into the pile of frit so it covers all over. Melt it in sloooowwwlly because you want it to smooth out and blend, but you don't want to lose the definition or shape of the arms.

However, if you are going for something more whimsical, you could decorate them with stringers and silver and raised flowers and all sorts of things. The final look is up to you but I hope I've helped out at least with the technical aspect of building the base of the starfish.

Good luck to you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moth; 2008-03-05 at 9:27am.
Old 2008-03-05, 11:08pm
Channeling Chaos

Mary -
This looks great. I will have to try this.

Is it true you will be coming out to take Tink's class in April? If so, look forward to meeting you.
Alana
Old 2008-03-06, 12:32am

Miss Mary
You Rock Woman! Thank you for always being so willing to share your hard earned knowledge.
Jen
Old 2008-03-06, 5:45am
Anyone need some spacers?

Thanks for posting this, I can see that this could be used for several other applications like thoes big flowers.

Old 2008-03-06, 7:38am
Mary Lockwood

Thanks, guys. Hope you have fun playing around with it.

This one wasn't so hard-earned though, I haven't even made one myself. I just didn't want to only send it to one person if it could help anybody else too.

Alana, as much as I'd like to sit in on a Tink class, I'm unaware of taking a trip to Oregon anytime soon. I will need to speak with my travel manager and see if there is a trip I don't know about. Heehee.

Tracy, yeah actually I was thinking the same thing. I think when I try it I'm going to make a big flower. I like how this ends up with the hole running horizontally. If I make anything decent I'll post pictures here.

~~Mary

Old 2008-03-06, 8:26am
No Problem!

Cool pictorial Mary..just wanted to add that you can run the mandrel dead center if you give the starfish 6 legs instead of 5.. Would be easier to use a press for the center that way.
It wouldn't be unrealistic either ;~)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29788585@N00/2157834364/

Edit..though I do like the look of the five leg shape better...someone posted these in a pixie dust thread I was looking at yesterday..
http://www.rejiquar.com/GlassBeads/peggy_starfish.html

(Beau & Shani)

Last edited by evolvingBeau; 2008-03-06 at 8:34am.
Old 2008-03-06, 9:15am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingBeau View Post
Cool pictorial Mary..just wanted to add that you can run the mandrel dead center if you give the starfish 6 legs instead of 5.. Would be easier to use a press for the center that way.
It wouldn't be unrealistic either ;~)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29788585@N00/2157834364/

Edit..though I do like the look of the five leg shape better...someone posted these in a pixie dust thread I was looking at yesterday..
http://www.rejiquar.com/GlassBeads/peggy_starfish.html
Those are beautiful, I especially like the 5-legged beads. I have a soft spot for pixie dust to begin with. LOL

All the starfish I've done were offhand and I always made the top 'arm' be the loop, or I attached a loop onto the back above the center somewhere.

This pictorial was for someone who is either a beginner or trying something completely new so I was shooting for as uncomplicated as possible.

Thanks for sharing the links!
~~Mary

Old 2008-03-07, 12:13am
Channeling Chaos

Mary-
From the "classes" section:

I highly recommend Tink's classes. And I saw Mary Lockwood is going to be there too.... man, why do I have to be on a budget in Maine in the winter....

Sue, sulky and green

Well, I guess I shouldn't believe it just because it is posted on LE!
Alana
Old 2008-03-07, 6:55am
Mary Lockwood

Hi Alana,

I think Sue must have seen that Tink and I will both be teaching at Glass Firenze in Eagle River, Alaska and gotten the location mixed up. That's the only venue I have scheduled for 2008 and I'm not planning on taking any classes myself yet this year.

~~Mary