Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-31, 4:39pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Default Why am I so afraid...........??

ok, I had my cricket for almost a year sitting in a box with the hoses, regulator, flash back arrestor......just got another oxycon. WHY am I so afraid to light it???

I've had the oxycon over 2 weeks and have only been on the cricket once since then and that was just the other day......Now, my dh works weekends (fri sat sun) and I will probably not torch because I'm too afraid to light it. I had him sit and light it the other day.

Each time I torch I have to hook up my regulator/propane cause my tank is kept in the back yard with the grill. I don't mind that.
But when it comes to lighting......I'm terrified. I have a big piece of paper with turning on and turning off instructions but I'm still fearful.

any ideas? I waited so long for this and I just don't want to go back to my hot head..........darn
sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-31, 4:56pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

Just take a deep breath and do it. I was scared at first too. You get over it quickly. Really. You can do it!!

Old 2011-03-31, 4:58pm

You just have to make yourself do it! Invite someone over to sit with you and encourage you if you need to. I was afraid of mine at first, but I got over it the same day I made myself start lighting it.

In my first class, I sat next to a woman who screamed every time she lit her hot head. It was hilarious, in an annoying OMG that will be funny later sort of way.
Old 2011-03-31, 4:59pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Thaks Roberta. I just seem to have this fear that I'm going to blow up or something!
About a month or so ago I had another concentrator, it lasted 2 hours.......but during that time when I was trying to light the torch it made a loud bang noise and I'm thinking maybe that scared me too. I just don't want to screw it up.

Old 2011-03-31, 4:59pm
birdergirl ~o~

Just DO it! The more times you do the more comfortable you will be. A little fear is always good (so you don't get too comfortable!) but when you know how much faster, cleaner, better everything is you'll love it. Some people would state that a cricket is actually safer than a HH!
Do you have a glassy friend nearby that can come over and give you a little extra confidence?
I wish I had upgraded much sooner!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2011-03-31, 5:18pm
Miss my BoBo Griff

Sue, I would be happy to come hold your hand and show you how safe it is and spend a couple hours with you while you turn it on and off, hook it up and take it apart. What ever you need to feel better, when I got me first big girl torch (a minor) back in oh 99 or 2000 it took me about 6 mos to get the guts up to fire it up. Now I have a big studio with multiple torches all on tanks ATM but that first minor ran on concentrators for the longest time, it was great. I am down in St Cloud so am probably somewhat close to you. Pm me if you want me to help ya out, I would be happy to do it.
chrisann

Old 2011-03-31, 6:12pm

When lighting most people are afraid of getting a BIG flame or a POP. Do you know what to turn on 1st? and turn off last? Start with a small flame. If chridann or someone close can give you a hand by spending 1/2 hr. or so only turning on and off. You will be on your way. Take chrisann up on her offer. (she might give you some tips for making glass _____. (fill in the blank) But even with the HH your sill working with glass and keeping your skills up.
Old 2011-03-31, 6:20pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Do you use the little pneumonic POOP? Turn on = Propane/ignite THEN oxygen on Turn Off = Oxygen/Off THEN propane off

When you say you got a big POP sound, was it possibly because you had the oxygen running when you ignited the flame??

Old 2011-03-31, 7:07pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Thank you for the encourage everyone!! I really really appreciate it!!
Lyn, Yes I believe it is POOP cause I laugh when I think of it after seeing it on sponge bob once LOL I did run my concentrator 10 minutes first this time and then off, propane, light, oxygen on. then oxygen off, propane off then let the excess out from them after the flame went out.....

Chrisann, thank you for the offer!! My studio is closing up for a bit cause I'm getting a new shed on tuesday and then we will have to drywall and electric and all that but once it is finished if you would still be interested I'd love to take you up on it!!!
I am however in winter haven near Cypress Gardens and not sure if you want to drive all that way. I don't drive unless absolutly necessary like last week my son was in so much pain that I took him to the ER, it was horrible driving but I had to do it.........good thing, cause he had an emergency surgery for his appendix.......... OK, just call me a big chicken!!! LOL I would definetly love to have you hold my hand a few hours

Its funny cause I've never been afraid of my hot head, even when it does that dragons breath stuff when I get low on my propane.......LOL

Thanks everyone!!
Sue

Old 2011-03-31, 7:10pm
Lampworkaholic!

Light the propane with the oxy off. You can just barely crack open the propane and light a small flame, then gradually bring it up and add the oxy.

For turning it off, it doesn't much matter, some say poop and some say popo. If I take a break I just turn off the propane, leave the oxy open, but then close the oxy before I relight.

It soon becomes second nature.

Don't forget to bleed your propane line at the end of your torch session. Turn it off at the tank, let the flame burn out, then shut the torch valve. The oxy valve can stay open, just turn off the oxycon.

It's a good idea to run the oxycon for a few minutes before the start of a torch session, just close the valve when you are ready to light the propane.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-03-31, 8:00pm
honorary bead lady

How can you be afraid of the little flame that the cricket makes compared to a HH???

Open the propane slightly and light it, then turn the propane up and turn the oxy on and adjust down the propane easy peasy.
Old 2011-03-31, 9:11pm
Mr Brutus RIP

David, its cause my dh always talked about me blowing the house up with oxygen. I got a piranha years back and had it for a year. Dh refused to let me hook it up so I resold it and gave away my oxycon. Then I read on here that it was safer to have an oxycon and all that and he was ok with it but then I got so worried. Yet, he is the one that says I can keep the propane in the garage!!! LOL I keep it outside, no worries, just sayin! I guess I've just gotten a little bit chicken in my older years.......LOL.
Maybe this weekend I will try when he gets home. Geez, I wanted the darn thing so bad!! LOL

Old 2011-03-31, 9:12pm
Ad astra per aspera

I'm with David. Lighting a HH still makes me jump! Lighting a gas/oxy torch is quiet compared to that, honest.

Old 2011-04-01, 1:31am

You're not going to blow a house up with an oxycon! The reason oxygen cylinders can be dangerous is because they're at very high pressure. Oxycons aren't.

Remember, while you're lighting it there's no oxygen on anyway. It's a totally propane flame, just like your hothead. Hey, if it would make you feel better, try lighting and shutting it off a few times with the oxycon *off* entirely. Don't even start it up.

Another thing that might make you feel better is to turn the oxycon on and have the oxygen open at the torch. Leave it unlit and put your hand in front so you can feel the oxygen coming through. It's just a slight breeze.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-04-01, 2:01am
Entropy increasing....

There really isn't anything dangerous about it. It's not going to blow up. How about this, turn on the propane, turn on the torch just a little bit and light it. Then turn it off. Do that a few times and then turn on the oxycon.
Old 2011-04-01, 8:01am
Mr Brutus RIP

Heather and Kevan, thank you! First, I'm relieved to know I will not blow up my house with an oxycon! Second, I never thought of it being like the hothead to light with the propane........that makes me feel a bit better thinking of it that way. Thanks Kevan, I'm going to try that on and off a few times..... I'm feeling better about it already!!!
sue

Old 2011-04-01, 8:07am

Yes an oxycon is very safe as far as running your torch! One of the many, many things I like about it lol. My dh teases me about blowing up the house also but as long as your propane is outside and you have an oxycon, you are pretty safe!

Old 2011-04-01, 8:17am
Mr Brutus RIP

thanks Sonja Yes, propane is outside!
sue

Old 2011-04-01, 8:24am

Millions of people light propane BBQ grills every summer. It's true that some of them die, but that's from eating the fatty steaks and hot dogs without drinking enough wine or beer, not from the grills blowing up. We won't even talk about the fact that many of them wheel the grill and tank back into the attached garage when they're done.

With the oxygen off you're just lighting a small propane flame. Do that a few times or a dozen times until you're comfortable with it. Then, start adding oxygen and you're good to go.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2011-04-01, 8:25am

I only have a minor, but I still JUMP when glass pops in the flame when I'm heating it. I get so mad at myself, its so silly. But, I understand your fear of the POP's in glass making.
Old 2011-04-01, 8:40am
Now part of the Dark Side

The propane is WAY more dangerous than the tanked oxy. If you properly secure the tank it's very safe, even if you have a slow leak. Oxygen does NOT burn, it makes other stuff burn better. Propane is EXPLOSIVE!
Old 2011-04-01, 9:05am

I also get reluctant to try new equipment out, sometimes letting it sit in the workroom for months before touching it. One of my aunts calls this tendency "coyote blood". Coyotes are very territorial and absolutely hate it when their turf undergoes any sort of change. They circle the changed areas for weeks, scent-marking frequently, and aren't comfortable until they get used to it being there.
At least we can be trusted not to piss on the new torch.
Old 2011-04-01, 10:01am

BTW, if pops bother you, hang around welders for a while and they won't. I don't know whether its bad practice, but they often turn the torch down, then turn off the gas first. This usually makes a nice snap or pop, but avoids filling the room with dirty little carbon snowflakes from the acetylene burning without oxygen.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2011-04-01, 12:15pm
honorary bead lady

You have more to worry about if you store a 5 gallon can of gas in the garage
Old 2011-04-01, 12:32pm
Mr Brutus RIP

LOL Robin, I swear I havent peed on it once!! LOL I almost lost my mouth full of coffee reading that! LOL

Old 2011-04-01, 1:00pm

Smile POOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_2 View Post
When lighting most people are afraid of getting a BIG flame or a POP. Do you know what to turn on 1st? and turn off last?
POOP:
Propane
Oxygen
Oxygen
Propane

PO: turn on
OP: turn off

Gas first, then oxygen
YOU CAN DO IT!

Old 2011-04-01, 6:19pm
And silence is golden

I used to have torch-fright. I was thinking about it recently. Now I just turn on the propane gently, light it, and then gently add the oxygen. I am now at peace with the torch.