Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-01, 5:28am

Question what the freak??

I was working with green glass yesterday. I have no idea what manufacturere is, it came in a box of glass i bought of craigs list before i even had a torch.

The rod was a lovely kelly green - started making the bead and the bead started getting bright orange streaks all in it. so I started thinking... ok - they use copper to color glass green right? so what in the world have i done to make the copper come out of the glass??

It wasnt a bad effect at all, really quite pretty in ANOTHER bead, NOT the one i was working on. Im working on a grrrr fireworks bead torch HH on order!! so did i just get the glass too hot? i can see this being lovely on something else, but i need my green to stay green.

any ideas?
Old 2011-04-01, 5:38am
Run Free Sweet Boy

sounds like it is reducing,,, too much fuel to oxygen ratio. work further out in the flame. I have never worked on a HH type torch, so others may have tips specific to that type torch to help you

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-04-01, 5:40am
Tweedle Dumb

I'm guessing you reduced it. HH's and Fireworks torches are always slightly reducing. Reducing brings metals to the surface, sometimes really pretty, sometimes poo. I would recommend working further out in the flame if you would like to avoid it in the future. Fireworks torches suck rocks, HH's are nice reliable beginner torches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2011-04-01, 5:56am
Sarah Jane's grandma

Yes, I agree. It sounds like you reduced it. I think you'll be much happier when your HH gets here. Working further out in the flame should help also, just like the other ladies said. Good luck, and don't get discouraged.

Old 2011-04-01, 6:49am

I've got an old green that does that with the slightest hint of reducing. You are seeing copper crystallizing out in the glass matrix. It has to be worked cool in an oxidizing flame or you'll get the red streaks. I'm not sure it'll stay green on a Hothead at all.

Robert