No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2020-05-08, 3:37am
Nick

Default Newbie, don’t want to explode

Hello, so I’m new to lampworking and have been taking the extra time I have to really get into it. I just set up my Spartan torch, (after a lot of trouble). Now my issue is my torch is not turning blue, I turn on the gas. It doesn’t stay lit half of the time and when I finally get it lit no matter how much oxy I add the flame does not turn blue and small. It remains at about seven inches with a noticeable flame at the tip.
I have been using a hot head until now and have not been able to successfully get a gather with either the spartan or the hot head. With 33 or 104. The 104 was a little easier but still no father. I tried different settings but mainly I did 20-25psi oxy and 10-15 psi propane.

Why is the torch not staying lit? Why is the propane flame not constant when regulator seems fine? Why when I add oxy does it not turn the flame into a sharp blue flame. Why does nothing ever work?! Why doesn’t it work like it does in the movies?!?!

Thanks in advance, this is a great board, I’ve learned so much already. I wish I had found this board PRIOR to investing $130 in a spartan. (Which is even $30 higher than retail!!!)
Old 2020-05-08, 7:37am

Welcome! Sorry, I don't know anything about Spartan torches, but it is possible your regulators are not set to provide a neutral or oxygenated flame. If it is anything like the torches I have used, I set my propane at 3-4 psi. 10-15 sounds way high. I use concentrators though. I have never tried to melt boro on a Hothead, but 104 should work just fine.
Old 2020-05-08, 8:19am

I just checked the Devardi site for specs and it said 5psi for propane and 5 for oxy for soft glass. 10psi of each for boro. You have way too much propane at your settings. Generally, more oxy gives you a hotter flame BUT I would be careful doing so with that torch. I'm not at all familiar with it and for all I know getting it raging hot for boro could damage it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2020-05-08, 9:22am
Phill

Aye, sounds like you are pushing fuel and oxygen out of your torch so fast it doesn't have time to mix.

Start with fuel only and get a small 5 inch long yellow flame.

Then add oxygen until the flame turns blue.

That should leave you with a monster flame probably pushing the burning flame off the face of the torch by a quarter inch.

Back everything down until you get some small blue cones at the base of the flame and then back it down some more to get the base of those to within a 16th to an 8th of an inch from you torch face.

That should leave you with a flame some 6 to 10 inches long.

You want to work in the last three inches of that flame.

You can turn it all down to a smaller flame for small work but you want to make sure to keep the base of the flame from touching the torch itself.
That can heat the metal up enough to bake the valves and even the hose connections which will damage the torch.

Stay safe.
Start slowly and just let your body get used to being in that position while you learn what the glass does.

33 is some seriously hard stuff and requires a heck of a lot of heat and also shade 5 glasses because it glows so much it can give your hands and face a sun burn not to mention what it will do to your eyes without proper protection.
Old 2020-05-08, 9:22am
Phill

Oh and Welcome to the Addiction
Old 2020-05-08, 11:43am
Nick

Thanks all for the quick responses, I have to wait until Sunday until I can try again. It’s just so hard To set my oxy regulator so low. I’ll try just barely opening it.

They should have a disclaimer with all torches sold about the addictive potential. I’m already addicted and I have only successfully made what I set out to make in an one hour workshop and can’t wait to make something...anything on my own. lol idc what I end up making, I’m even proud of the pulls I’ve done as I read that was a good place to start.

Would beads be a good next step? Or would a small marble maybe be better? That is assuming I get everything working.
Old 2020-05-08, 12:48pm
Slogan Challenged...

ok I'm a little confused. Are you using tanked Oxy? for a concentrator, you do not need a regulator....I'm not sure it would work with one.
Propane should be set at 5 max, I personally set mine at about 3.
Was it an actual hothead, or one from Devardi? I have had trouble with theirs, so some of it might have been the torch.
I haven't worked with the sparta, but if you message them they should be able to give you more advice.
Welcome, and update us with how it goes. The first few weeks can be frustrating to set up the equipment, we all have stories! But melting that first bit of glass......priceless

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2020-05-10, 10:53am
Nick

I’m working with an oxy tank with a regulator that goes to I believe 200 psi. I have tried messing around with the pressure and still can’t get the sharp blue flame, i try turning knobs on the torch all different ways to no avail. Is it just a lousy torch? I may be able to invest about $200 on a new torch, should I just bite the bullet and buy ANOTHER torch?? If so what torches are a good option...there is a cricket on eBay for $185.00 I was looking at. But I wish the spartan I just bought would bloody work. Thanks all around.
Old 2020-05-10, 11:20am
Phill

I have no experience with the Devardi torch but you could try hunting up the you tube videos they used to have.
They might have a few on that torch.

They are on the lower end of quality on occasion but I don't remember any particular problems with those torches that I had heard of.

There is the possibility that your regulator is designed to work with high volume, metal cutting torches and that it won't go down low enough to work with your torch.

I wish I had more information for you but my torch experience is limited to the GTT Cricket which is specifically designed to work with really low flow volumes of oxygen concentrators and house hold natural gas.

Come back and teach us what you learn what works when you can.
Old 2020-05-10, 1:08pm
Loving learning

You do not use a regulator with an oxygen concentrator. Just go directly to the concentrator from your torch.
Old 2020-05-10, 1:40pm

And what are the pressure settings on your tank gauge now? Have you adjusted that? You need to balance the regulators on both tanks to the requirements for the torch. Sounds like your max on either should be 5psi. Are your regulators new? If either is not performing properly, it can prevent your torch from having a proper flame. But first you should verify for us that you have backed off the pressures you listed earlier. A Cricket is a good torch, but will have the same problem if you incorrectly set the pressure, or your regulators are bad.
Old 2020-05-10, 1:54pm
Phill

Oh and something you may not have heard about oxygen tanks;
the valve stem on the tank itself needs to be fully closed or fully open, letting the second stage of the two stage regulator control the flow.

The valve on the tanks will leak oxygen out around the valve stem other wise and will empty out your tank even if you only open the tank a small amount.

It's a design thing on the oxygen tanks.
Old 2020-05-10, 1:56pm
Phill

Here is a You Tube video about the torch ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azg4geKIs4o&t=206s
Old 2020-05-10, 6:40pm
Slogan Challenged...

I haven't heard anything bad about the Sparta torch, sorry if that was confusing. I only meant their version of the hothead. I found it extremely frustrating until I bought an actual brand name hothead.
did you get the regulators from them also? Then they should work with that torch.
I agree with Phil to check out Youtube, and speak to the folks at Devardi. They offer support for their equipment.....sorry I can't be more help. I've nveer worked with the Sparta or used tanked oxy.
The cricket is a great torch, also the alpha if you wanted to go that route. But you should get the Sparta working first. Whatever the problem is, probably will show up whichever torch you get. Hope you can get melting soon!

Facebook:

Etsy: