Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-03, 5:00pm
Smooches!

Default Opal Yellow?

Hi all,
I know a lot of people really like opal yellow. But what I don't know is WHY?
I bought some from Frantz a while back, but so far am unimpressed. Must be just me though.

Why do you like Opal Yellow?
What do you use it for? Base bead or decorations?

Miss Kate (who would've made a poll of this, but didn't know how)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cocktail napkins available at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Last edited by Miss Kate; 2007-06-03 at 5:01pm. Reason: added questions
Old 2007-06-03, 5:15pm

reactions
Old 2007-06-03, 5:38pm

I strike my opal yellow before I apply to the bead - I heat then marver with the brass -

Most of my rods have a lot of pink - it may not be you Miss Kate - it just may be the rod.

Vonna

Old 2007-06-03, 5:59pm
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

Opal yellow makes a great base for a lot of the reactive glass colors. Try it with anything reactive - make a bunch of small spacer with melted in dots to start just to see what the color reactions are to get an idea. You might get lines or different colors or color spread. Different combos will yield different looks.

Dark opal yellow (the old stuff) would strike to a have a blush pink/rose color throughout it which was very pretty. The lighter opal yellow (different batch) didn't blush as well, at least for me, but still worked well with reactive glass.
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2007-06-03, 6:15pm
Smooches!

I'll try it again. I'm starting to think I got Uranium yellow & not opal yellow though. I'll have to find my invoice tomorrow & double check.

Miss Kate

Old 2007-06-03, 6:19pm
Entropy increasing....

I love opal yellow. If they stop making opal yellow I have no wish to go on living.

Old 2007-06-03, 6:35pm

Opal Yellow is great with almost ANY frit!! It's very useful stuff!!

Candy

Old 2007-06-03, 6:37pm

OH Michelle, how pretty - wow -

Old 2007-06-03, 6:51pm

Uranium yellow is nice too. I love it with copper green or the old lauscha wedgwood blue.
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2007-06-03, 6:53pm
Smooches!

Ok, I'm pretty convinced I got uranium yellow now & not opal yellow. So, either I ordered the wrong thing or got shipped the wrong thing.

No wonder I'm not seeing any reactions!
Can you say "Kate's a Goober" with me?

Miss Kate (the Goober)

Old 2007-06-03, 7:17pm

There was recently a VERY light batch of opal yellow - you might have that. How about a photo?
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2007-06-03, 7:52pm

I picked out opal yellow glass the other day - huge rods with lots of pink - they also had a batch with hardly any pink at all in the bin.

I can't find my picture where I made my bead just plain - somehow it had a light blue in it to.

The blue it could of been another color picked up on the rod. I am still looking.

I tryed the OP with that new Violet today - it's still in the kiln.

Old 2007-06-03, 8:57pm

I now have a question about opal yellow. I don't have a vendor close to me so I order most items from the internet.

When I order stuff like red copper green, copper green, and opal yellow etc. I noticed that they always say (hand pulled). What does this mean?

Am I getting the real deal or a copy?
Old 2007-06-03, 9:25pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

It means exactly what it says....those are hand pulled rods/colors....thus the variation from batch to batch.....sometimes you might hear about odd lots....those are "experiments" or variations and usually what people try to get their hands on.....cause it doesn't go on in availability land forever.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokersdesign View Post
I now have a question about opal yellow. I don't have a vendor close to me so I order most items from the internet.

When I order stuff like red copper green, copper green, and opal yellow etc. I noticed that they always say (hand pulled). What does this mean?

Am I getting the real deal or a copy?

Old 2007-06-03, 9:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Irish Girl View Post
It means exactly what it says....those are hand pulled rods/colors....thus the variation from batch to batch.....sometimes you might hear about odd lots....those are "experiments" or variations and usually what people try to get their hands on.....cause it doesn't go on in availability land forever.....

So they are hand pulled by Morretti and not some guy at home?

what vendors do you have the most luck with getting stuck that is actually in stock and these "experiments" odd lots?
Old 2007-06-03, 10:08pm
Entropy increasing....

Some of the odd lots are colors that were made by mistake. Happy mistakes. Really, really happy mistakes.
Old 2007-06-04, 2:43am
Venus Nocturne

I've obviously got the new batch of opal yellow because I certainly never got a blush tone out of mine and the actual rod is almost white. It does have the most beautiful creamy buttery colour that works so well with corals and intense black. I will have to look out for the old batch!

Old 2007-06-04, 4:28am

Oh Kandice, that top set is just ohhhhhhhh.......yum......droool!!!!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-06-04, 4:35am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokersdesign View Post
So they are hand pulled by Morretti and not some guy at home?

what vendors do you have the most luck with getting stuck that is actually in stock and these "experiments" odd lots?
My favorite supplier of the cool odd lots is galaxyglass on ebay.

~

Old 2007-06-04, 4:51am

Default Opal Yellow

Same rod of opal yellow! Same torch sitting...it looks scrumptious on the darker corals.

Deanna

Old 2007-06-04, 5:08am

Here are a few more done with the darker Opal Yellow:
Attached Images

etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2007-06-04, 6:39am

This is darker opal yellow on its own as the neck of a rather wonky vessel. The pink tones come out on reheating.

Old 2007-06-04, 7:41am
On the flippity flop

Oh, Kandice, run away with me!

Jeannette

Jayne: "I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -- Serenity
Old 2007-06-04, 7:47am
Smooches!

Will try & take a pic tonight of the rod, and the finished beads (when I unload the kiln).

Miss Kate
Who thanks you all for your help!

Old 2007-06-04, 8:57am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

I mostly use Opal Yellow with frit.
Attached Images

Old 2007-06-04, 9:26am
Who me?

Quick way to tell the difference between opal yellow and uranium is to apply a dot of rubino and melt it in - if it turns rusty or stays pink its opal yellow - if it turns black, its uranium.
Old 2007-06-04, 11:47am
Smooches!

Pretty beads all!

Hey swamper - thanks for the tip. I'll do that little test tonight.
My invoice showed opal yellow - but the rods sure don't look like the pic on Frantz's web site. That's why I started wondering if I had gotten misshipped.

Anyway - thanks again for the testing tip!

Miss Kate

Old 2007-06-04, 11:58am
a pox upon an idiot :..

Opal yellow and silver pink are my two favorite colors, well today they are.

I have a theory that Opal Yellow, the original first batch, was born when a mistake was made when they were trying to make Silver Pink. Maybe they added too much pink, maybe too much of something else and this mistake took off and became Opal Yellow.

I have found many similarities with both of these glasses and their reactions. Depending on the batches, the similarities can be strong or subtle, but they are still the same.

I love OY with all of the foils!
Old 2007-06-04, 5:34pm
Smooches!

Ok, looks like it is officially opal yellow! Swampers test tip proved it to me. And the beads did look a whole lot better coming out of the kiln. So looks like I'll be a new convert to opal yellow!

Starr - thanks for the help! Now I just gotta try to find time to mess with it & some silver leaf!

Thanks again all,
Miss Kate

Old 2007-06-05, 1:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Dove View Post

Same rod of opal yellow! Same torch sitting...it looks scrumptious on the darker corals.

Deanna
OOOHHHHH yum, how beautiful