LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-09-28, 12:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJames View Post

As for the work you did with HGTV, well I don't think that is comparing apples to apples. I did watch the Carol Duvall show and I did refer to some of the "cheat sheets" that were on the web site. While I enjoy many of the segments, if I paid to purchase any of them individually as a DVD or if I paid $10 - $20 for any of the "cheat sheets" on the web site, I would not be a happy person. They just did not provide enough information. Not like the information provided by the tutorial writers I have purchased from here on LE.
----

I could not agree with you MORE! We spent much time sending in absolutely PERFECT directions with the goal being the viewer should be able to print them off the website and complete the project even if they never saw the show. It was a huge bone of contention with Carol, her producers AND THE VIEWERS that the info frequently got edited to smitherreens on the website. Our output was book quality... HGTV did not care and that is why, IMHO, they are the crap network they are today!

----

Quote:
I like lots of information. I like knowing about the author. I am more than satisfied with what I have purchased.
-----
I do too... it just doesn't need to be packaged in the product I take to the torch. The unnecessary bits can be left on the website. They are the sales features, not the meat and potatoes. But I think the formatting issues has been discussed quite a bit...

---

Quote:
Again Holly, you had some good things to say. You just could have found a better way to say it.
---

Again, I became a producer at the ripe old age of 29 because I'm direct. I've discovered that 90% of the people I encounter have no idea how to deal with someone who is direct. It's been an issue my whole life... but it is a personality trait and at 46, I'm not likely to change. I feel I constantly have to walk a line between saying what I think and babying it down to not offend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-09-28, 12:47pm
sunscreen me baby

I'm not sure tact is babying it down

~

Old 2010-09-28, 12:57pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I agree - I think if you had left off that first paragraph, you would have eliminated most of the negative feedback. The first paragraph had nothing to do with your advice, it was just your perception of tutorial writers and their motivations, apparently.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-09-28, 12:59pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Age is not a factor which prohibits personal growth. You have great information to contribute but the delivery needs work. You want tutorial writers to be open to your advice and we want you to be open as well. Remove ego from the equation and both sides can benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly'sFolly View Post
----

I could not agree with you MORE! We spent much time sending in absolutely PERFECT directions with the goal being the viewer should be able to print them off the website and complete the project even if they never saw the show. It was a huge bone of contention with Carol, her producers AND THE VIEWERS that the info frequently got edited to smitherreens on the website. Our output was book quality... HGTV did not care and that is why, IMHO, they are the crap network they are today!

----

-----
I do too... it just doesn't need to be packaged in the product I take to the torch. The unnecessary bits can be left on the website. They are the sales features, not the meat and potatoes. But I think the formatting issues has been discussed quite a bit...

---

---

Again, I became a producer at the ripe old age of 29 because I'm direct. I've discovered that 90% of the people I encounter have no idea how to deal with someone who is direct. It's been an issue my whole life... but it is a personality trait and at 46, I'm not likely to change. I feel I constantly have to walk a line between saying what I think and babying it down to not offend.

Old 2010-09-28, 1:05pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I couldn't have said it any better.

Old 2010-09-29, 6:10am
Karen James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly'sFolly View Post
----

Then don't print that part.
---

I have found that as I have gotten older, I have learned how to temper my message. I am going to be 49 tomorrow. Maybe you just need a few more years to understand that.
For this one Holly, you may want to step out from behind the Producer's position and stop giving people direction and join the discussion.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-09-30, 3:31pm
Help i am on fire

so many feelings hurt, very sad.
Old 2010-10-03, 8:32pm

:::Backing out of the room on tiptoes:::

Old 2010-10-11, 7:36am
Carpe beadum

This has been very helpful to me. Thank you for your very clear and concise directions.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2010-10-12, 2:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I've said this before but since you brought it up I'll say it again. If it wasn't for the tutorials for purchase I never would have revealed my technique at all. In fact I deliberated over revealing it for a price for almost a year. Some things you just don't give away for free. Of course no one has to buy it either. I think I'm more than helpful around here when it comes to problem solving or answering questions.
But to be completely honest, Amy, I BEGGED for the tip to storming, so I am grateful to put that particular DUH moment to rest. Your tute helped me sleep at night!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2010-10-12, 2:46pm

And just a note. This may have been said elsewhere, but I will say it again. When you write, no matter how well you write, have someone knowledgeable read it over for errors. When you have written a document, you tend to see on the page what you MEANT to say, not necessarily what the printed word says. We all overlook our own typos, and grammatical oopsies. Just make a deal with a friend and have him/her double check you! It really makes the final product so much easier to read and comprehend! Also, personal pet peeve: Don't put "LOL" into your tutorial. It isn't an email. JMHO.

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2010-10-12, 3:18pm
Nikki Haverstock

I think you had some good points. Even if they don't agree atleast people might re-examine their tutorials. I teach at a college and I have to be very critical of my lectures. I ask myself "Does this add to the lecture or am I including it to please myself?". Often I want to include extra information because I think it is funny but it isn't necessary. I lose their attention pretty quick. I am not sure if tutorials are the same since people paid for them. I hope they are paying better attention.
Old 2010-10-12, 3:20pm
Nikki Haverstock

Oh, I missed the end of the thread and it seems that the discussion is no longer about th original advice. Sorry to join so late.
Old 2010-10-14, 10:06am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoon View Post
But to be completely honest, Amy, I BEGGED for the tip to storming, so I am grateful to put that particular DUH moment to rest. Your tute helped me sleep at night!
You're welcome.