Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-13, 2:27pm

Default Marver HELP!?

I just quit smoking this week, and have been totally spastic (decades and decades of smoking)!! 2 nites ago, I dropped an entire sculpture on top of my torch marver, and this happened:

Here is the remaining stand, and how it's mounted to my torch:

Here is what it's supposed to look like (just parked on top of the torch, it wont' stay there):

I have no idea what to do... should I try sticking both parts in the torch and trying to weld it back together again at the solder??

As you can see from the first pix, the bottom is very smooth so it wasn't strongly attached and came off cleanly.

I've never welded anything in my life... any suggestions?? I don't think the people who made this are still making them, or I'd ask them directly.

Any help would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Non-Glass Sites:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-13, 2:37pm
Trying to Hope!

try that industrial jb weld if it can be used in engine blocks it should be able to take the heat

but make sure

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2009-01-13, 3:18pm

The Raz Steadyrest marver was originally glued together with JB Weld (it's a 2-part epoxy like glue). You can fix yours with it too. Just make sure you remove as much old glue as possible, and roughen up the surfaces before gluing.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-01-13, 3:55pm

AHHHH!!!

Thanks you 2!!!!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-01-13, 4:09pm
He can do the origami

Like Malcolm and Wendy said lol. It looks like there was never a real good bond between the adhesive and the plate for your marver, that is why it popped off so neatly. After you scrape all the dried adhesive off, take a good medium grit sandpaper and rough up both surfaces the adhesive needs to stick to. Make sure you go and use tack cloth or some other means to remove the dust from sanding prior to gluing it back together so you will get a good bond.
Old 2009-01-13, 4:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
Like Malcolm and Wendy said lol. It looks like there was never a real good bond between the adhesive and the plate for your marver, that is why it popped off so neatly. After you scrape all the dried adhesive off, take a good medium grit sandpaper and rough up both surfaces the adhesive needs to stick to. Make sure you go and use tack cloth or some other means to remove the dust from sanding prior to gluing it back together so you will get a good bond.
Didn't I just say that?

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2009-01-13, 4:17pm
He can do the origami

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
Didn't I just say that?

Malcolm
Like Malcolm said.... he just said that. lol

Yes Malcolm but I just wanted to give a little more detail on what you meant by "roughen up" ..... lol.... unless you actually did mean for Hels to beat up the surfaces lol
Old 2009-01-13, 4:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
Like Malcolm said.... he just said that. lol

Yes Malcolm but I just wanted to give a little more detail on what you meant by "roughen up" ..... lol.... unless you actually did mean for Hels to beat up the surfaces lol

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2009-01-13, 4:46pm

I'm good at beating up things (no comments from either of you pweeze )!

Think REGULAR epoxy will work? I just happen to have some... or does it have to be that brand??

My Non-Glass Sites:

Last edited by Hels; 2009-01-13 at 4:53pm.
Old 2009-01-13, 5:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hels View Post
I'm good at beating up things (no comments from either of you pweeze )!

Quote:
Think REGULAR epoxy will work? I just happen to have some... or does it have to be that brand??
You can try it ... What's the worse thing that can happen?

(It'll fall apart while you're using it, and the epoxy will burst into flames! )

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2009-01-13, 6:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post

You can try it ... What's the worse thing that can happen?

(It'll fall apart while you're using it, and the epoxy will burst into flames! )

Malcolm

Well... that would brighten my day...

LOL!

Actually, so long as I do not use it as a marver (as I'd been doing) and only use it as a handrest... it shouldn't be a problem...

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-01-13, 10:45pm
Corgi Cult Member

But did you save the sculpture? Hope it didn't bounce onto your lap!