LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-22, 2:42pm

Question What's the best kiln to use?... please help a newbie out

I want to set up my own studio and I'm hoping someone can give me advice on the subject of kilns. I will just be doing beads so I don't need anything extravegant. Plus I'm on a budget. I like the ones with the flip-up doors. If anyone knows of a brand that is reliable and inexpensive or has any other advice to offer on the subject, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 2008-05-22, 3:26pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

I am a Crowley kiln convert. I just love the tall double doors and ease of use. Here's a link to all the details

http://theglasshive.com/BEAD%20ANNEALLERS.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2008-05-22, 3:40pm
Cancer SUCKS!

I would save up until you can get one with that is brick lined. I just learned how to fuse and also do PMC. I have a chili pepper and I can't use it to fuse or do PMC.

You said that you just want to do beads in it, but you just never know where that might lead to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-05-22, 3:46pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
I would save up until you can get one with that is brick lined. I just learned how to fuse and also do PMC. I have a chili pepper and I can't use it to fuse or do PMC.

You said that you just want to do beads in it, but you just never know where that might lead to.
Many that have an AIM 84BD are pleased with its versatility in being able to anneal beads or do small fusing/slumping projects.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-05-22, 3:46pm
da General

I second Mike Crowley's kiln . . . best customer service included!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-05-22, 4:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsGlass View Post
I am a Crowley kiln convert. I just love the tall double doors and ease of use. Here's a link to all the details

http://theglasshive.com/BEAD%20ANNEALLERS.html
Thanks Pam,

That kiln looks terrific, I only wish I could afford it... darn, where are those lottery winnings when you need them

Unfortunately my budget is very tight right now.
Old 2008-05-22, 4:55pm
Sheryll

Yeah but then it's better to wait to get the kiln that can grow with you. Unless you pick up one used (which is still pricey and hard to find) new ones are going to run you a minimum of $500 or more. And you'll want a digital controller - makes life a lot easier.

Old 2008-05-22, 5:00pm

[quote=Raven Wylder;1868283]Yeah but then it's better to wait to get the kiln that can grow with you....[quote]

I agree, Sheryll, I think I'm going to have to start saving up my pennies. I know it's going to take some time (and alot of buck-a-roos) to get my studio up and running, but it will be worth it in the end, I'm sure.

Last edited by BeadNiks; 2008-05-22 at 5:01pm. Reason: correction
Old 2008-05-22, 5:09pm
Sheryll

BTW, for lampworking, I got the Paragon SC2 kiln with bead door and love it. I have a kiln shelf to do quick fuses of small things (trial pendants) and PMC - it can do enameling and small ceramics but I haven't gotten into that yet.

Old 2008-05-22, 5:56pm

Smile

Hi every one, is it okay to just jump in with a question as well. My pennies are very tight too. I saved my "hiney" off and bought a cc and i currently have a standard AF99 on order. I am very new this and this seemed to be my best option for a kiln and as a beginner. Can any of you offer your opinions on this.

I will also be getting a fire III digital controller with it so no need to babysit.

anyway The AF99 has a temperature limit of 1900 degrees. It has a flip door, it is fully lined inside, no elements showing etc, it is an annealing and fusing kiln. Is this not an option that beadniks can consider or is there a reason why nobody mentioned it?

I am just wondering because now i am a little nervous about my order.... i still have to wait 4 weeks while it gets built... I can still pull out of it?

I just found this on the site regarding the AF99. : http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...highlight=af99

Last edited by LDowdle; 2008-05-22 at 6:14pm.
Old 2008-05-22, 6:01pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I LOVE Paragon! I currently have the Bluebird and had the Caldera. They're both great kilns and the Caldera can do fusing and ceramics in addition to bead annealing.
Old 2008-05-22, 6:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDowdle View Post
Hi every one, is it okay to just jump in with a question as well. My pennies are very tight too. I saved my "hiney" off and bought a cc and i currently have a standard AF99 on order. I am very new this and this seemed to be my best option for a kiln and as a beginner. Can any of you offer your opinions on this.

I just found this on the site regarding the AG99: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...highlight=af99
Hi Lorraine,

Thanks for the link to the other thread about this, great info.

I have actually been looking at and considering the AF99 from arrowsprings myself. It looks like a great kiln but I would also be interested in hearing what others have to say about it.

You can just call me Nik, btw.

ps - I viewed your website link, very nice jewelry there.
Old 2008-05-22, 8:35pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadNiks View Post
Thanks Pam,

That kiln looks terrific, I only wish I could afford it... darn, where are those lottery winnings when you need them
Can't win if you don't play

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2008-05-22, 8:40pm

Arrow Springs AF99. Great kiln, great service, great controller. Costs so little to run that it has never been noticeable on our electric bill. You can fuse, do PMC, whatever.

I didn't mention it earlier because it is not the least costly option and there is a tendency for people to ignore the AS owners (because it's not the least costly option).

LDowdie, you do not want to pull out of it.
Old 2008-05-22, 8:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Wylder View Post
BTW, for lampworking, I got the Paragon SC2 kiln with bead door and love it. I have a kiln shelf to do quick fuses of small things (trial pendants) and PMC - it can do enameling and small ceramics but I haven't gotten into that yet.
I have have this kiln and love it. A breeze to use and no problems.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-05-22, 9:08pm

Hey Nik, Thanks so much for your compliments re my work.... I love it, and hopefully by February next year (well that is the goal) 90% of all my jewellery will be done with "my own beads" .. ( wow i have always wanted to say that... hee hee )

Kew..... I have to say in my bones I am very at ease and excited about this kiln. I investigated quite a bit and felt this combination and running costs etc would be perfect... so Thank you for your opinion.... greatly appreciated.... I can not wait to receive it.

Nik.... let us know what you have decided to go with. Hey I just saw your etsy... coooooooooooooooool ..... you also make jewellery.... Lovely lovely stuff.

xx Lorraine
Old 2008-05-22, 9:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEW View Post
Arrow Springs AF99. Great kiln, great service, great controller. Costs so little to run that it has never been noticeable on our electric bill. You can fuse, do PMC, whatever.

I didn't mention it earlier because it is not the least costly option and there is a tendency for people to ignore the AS owners (because it's not the least costly option).

LDowdie, you do not want to pull out of it.
I'm not ignoring you, believe me, very reassuring to hear this... I'm sure Lorraine (L Dowdle) will agree.

Last edited by BeadNiks; 2008-05-22 at 9:17pm. Reason: correction
Old 2008-05-22, 9:15pm

Quote:

Nik.... let us know what you have decided to go with. Hey I just saw your etsy... coooooooooooooooool ..... you also make jewellery.... Lovely lovely stuff.

xx Lorraine
Thank you Lorraine... yes, I guess you could say that making beaded jewelry was the "gateway drug" to my newest obsession with actually making my own beads... lol
Old 2008-05-22, 9:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
I have have this kiln and love it. A breeze to use and no problems.
Cool... I'll have to look further into the Paragon. Thanks to both of you!
Old 2008-05-22, 9:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsGlass View Post
Can't win if you don't play
lol... so true!
Old 2008-05-22, 9:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post

I know what you mean... it would be good to have something that can grow with me, so to speak. Thanks Deb!

Last edited by BeadNiks; 2008-05-22 at 9:23pm. Reason: correction
Old 2008-05-22, 9:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns View Post
I LOVE Paragon! I currently have the Bluebird and had the Caldera. They're both great kilns and the Caldera can do fusing and ceramics in addition to bead annealing.
I seems Paragons are getting rave reviews... I will definitely have to investigate further. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
Old 2008-05-22, 9:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadNiks View Post
Thank you Lorraine... yes, I guess you could say that making beaded jewelry was the "gateway drug" to my newest obsession with actually making my own beads... lol
It sure is.... and for me it is also the frustration of having to search or buy the precise item/colour/bead combination that I need for a client.... At least this way I can make what I envision or exactly what I need. It is so exciting hey!

Okay but in saying that...it is going to take a while LOL! Prior to today..which is 3 days counting on my new mini carlisle which I think rocks , I had 2 days experience on a braising torch(not a hothead) with map gass canisters... So I have heaps to learn about this fabulous glass venture.. I am a REAL rookie newbie at this..
Old 2008-05-22, 9:52pm

Quote:
It sure is.... and for me it is also the frustration of having to search or buy the precise item/colour/bead combination that I need for a client.... At least this way I can make what I envision or exactly what I need. It is so exciting hey!

Okay but in saying that...it is going to take a while LOL! Prior to today..which is 3 days counting on my new mini carlisle which I think rocks , I had 2 days experience on a braising torch(not a hothead) with map gass canisters... So I have heaps to learn about this fabulous glass venture.. I am a REAL rookie newbie at this..
So am I (a newbie that is)... I know exactly what you mean about how exciting it is to be able to make what you envision. It's very free-ing. Luckily I live near the Corning Museum of Glass which is a world class museum of glass. That's where I recently took a lampworking class and now I'm able to rent studio space until I get my own studio up and running ...which may be a while due to the cost factor, but hey, one step at a time. I'll get there eventually, luckily I'm patient by nature.

Last edited by BeadNiks; 2008-05-22 at 9:56pm. Reason: correction
Old 2008-05-22, 10:15pm

That is awesome. I think taking a class is/would be a great idea... but then I would have to forfeit my kiln. aaaaa NO WAY.... I have decided to make a journal as i go on so that when I can afford a class I can ask the questions I don't have an answer for... I hope it is soon...I have many questions

Take care and don't forget to let us know which kiln you go for in the end...

x
Old 2008-05-22, 10:38pm
Salt Box Beads

Sundance has a cute little go anywhere table top gas kiln..pretty inexpensive too and it can be converted to electric at a later date if you want.

Lorraine
Old 2008-05-22, 11:10pm

I have the Arrow Springs AF138-T4 - it's the bigger and taller version of the AF-99. Really nice kiln. It was worth saving my pennies and getting the one I really wanted. Do get a digital controller - it will make your life much easier when you anneal your beads!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2008-05-23, 4:39am

I have 3 arrow springs kilns, including the AF99 (which I have had since around '94/'95 without one problem), but never butt into a thread where someone says they want an inexpensive kiln. However, this kiln, to my thinking, is the best kiln on the market. I have 3 kilns and one controller that I can switch to whatever kiln I am using. I will never buy anything but an Arrow Springs kiln because of their reliability - never had a burned out element or relay - never had a problem with the controller that I couldn't fix using the info on their website. Love, love, love AS kilns and controllers.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-05-23, 2:30pm
HotFlash Designs

I love my Blue Bird. I got it from www.Clay-king.com

His customer service is great!!!

I also have a jen-ken for fusing. I'd recommend either one!!

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2008-05-23, 4:41pm
Storm Queen

I have the AF99 also and used it for a couple of years without the digital controller. I hand cranked it a tiny bit every 20-30 minutes over a 4-5 hour period. It's doable if you don't want to spend the money on a controller right away but it is a pita. I finally got the controller and it's wonderful. Holds lots of different programs. I noticed that one mentioned in this thread only holds two programs....that just wouldn't fly for me.