Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-01-07, 8:38pm

Default Sarah's Quickie Ribbon Bead Tut

Just wanted to repost this here in the Tutorials section, so it doesn't get lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
HOW TO MAKE A RIBBON BEAD

Prep: Make encased stringers in different colors, by encasing opaque bases in darker transparent colors and pulling. For instance, cobalt or dk. amethyst over periwinkle, dk. amber over coral or trans. teal over turquoise. Make some encased goldstone stringers too, if you like.
You can also use regular stringers, but the darker encasing layer is what makes them look "ribbon-like".
Don't pull the stringers too thin. Something like 1.5-2mm is good.

1. Start out with a very thin tube-shaped core, in an opaque color. Paler colors usually work best, because it's easier to see the "ribbons" on top of them. (Don't use white, though - it doesn't like to be heavily encased.)
By "very thin core", I mean, I usually make mine with commercial stringer.

2. Encase the core in clear, or in a pale transparent. If your stringers are in colors which could be reactive, i.e. turquoise or coral, be sure to use a color they won't react with. For instance, if you're going to be using aqua-encased turquoise stringers, be sure your base color isn't, let's say, orange, because you'll end up with mud.
(As for the "how do I get such nice clear on a Hothead" question, the answer is, I only use Lauscha clear.)

3. Marver back into an even tube shape if necessary.

4. Using your encased stringers, paint vertical stripes all around the base, from top to bottom. Melt them in.

5. Encase everything in clear. I find that encasing by heating the tip of a rod of clear and painting vertical stripes from top to bottom is usually easier in this case (as opposed to coil-encasing, but you can do that too if you prefer). Marver into an even tube again.

6. Turn the heat up and hold one end of the bead in the flame, twirling slowly to let it soak in the heat. You will see the stripes inside beginning to twirl around. Continue doing this until you are happy with the results.

7. Let the warm end of the bead cool completely.

8. Do the same for the other end of the bead. If you twirl in the same direction as you did for the first end, you'll get a "wave". If you twirl in the opposite direction, you'll get a "twist". You'll see what I mean if you try it.

9. Let cool and fix the shape if necessary. You can leave it like this if you like, or...

10. Mash into a tab - the effect is pretty cool. You can leave it like this if you like, or...

11. For extra "clear space", heat the end of a rod of clear and paint a couple of stripes down both edges of the bead. Heat well to melt the stripes until they look like part of the original bead, then mash again.

12. Don't forget to flame-polish - it really makes a difference in this case.

13. Decorate with murrini, raised dots and other cool stuff.

Enjoy!

(There are some examples in this thread: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110655)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-07, 8:56pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Thank you!!
Old 2009-01-07, 9:13pm
I think I could be a bead

Great tutorial, Sarah! Thank you!

Old 2009-01-07, 9:22pm

Thank you for posting -- nice tutorial and very pretty beads!
Old 2009-01-08, 4:14am
Knob Creek Glass

Thank you!!!
Old 2009-01-08, 4:33am
BeadsonCypress

Sara - Thank you from all of us for a FREE TUTORIAL!! I have printed it and added it to my small collection of Tut's in my notebook for a day not too far in the future when I can give this one a try! Thanks again! (ps.....love your beads and color choices!)

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-01-08, 6:00am
Who me?

Nicely, done and very generous of you to share. I've been wondering how you achieved this.
Old 2009-01-08, 6:13am
Just a Member

Great tutorial- thank you so much for sharing!!!
Old 2009-01-08, 8:02am

Default Thanks!!

Thanks Sarah,
Just bought your color tut and this will help me make some of your beautiful beads - I hope
Old 2009-01-08, 8:51am

Thank you, Sarah. This is going to be so much fun to make.

Candace

Minor
Old 2009-01-08, 8:59am

Thanks Sarah! I purchased your color schemes tut and love it.
Old 2009-01-08, 10:08am
Normal is Boring!!

Hummm got a picture?? Sounds cool.

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2009-01-08, 10:29am

Thanks everyone, hope you all enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterdark View Post
Hummm got a picture?? Sounds cool.
Is the picture in my first post not showing up? Let me know, if it isn't I'll try to post again.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-08, 11:48am
Lampworkaholic!

Hi Sarah - I want to add my gratitude. I will be giving this a try. It looks very cool. Liz

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-01-08, 12:52pm
Valparaíso - Chile

Thank you so mucho Sarah!!!

@cristallo_perle
Old 2009-01-08, 5:53pm

Thank you so much for doing this! I'm going to give it a try tonight.

Old 2009-01-08, 6:17pm

Thank you so much for sharing. I cann't wait to try it.
Old 2009-01-08, 6:31pm

Thanks Sarah, your tuts rock and I tried this one out tonight and then mixed it up with some styles from Think Pink too.

Mini-CC& M-5 oxycon

Old 2009-01-08, 6:47pm

Thank U Sarah for reposting this again. It's so awesome and generous of you!

Now people will have to post beads they made with your tutorial!

all the best,
karen

May the love of animals inspire you, teach you & heal you...
Old 2009-01-08, 6:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrina View Post
Now people will have to post beads they made with your tutorial!
YES!!! Pictures, PLEASE!

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-08, 8:14pm

Sarah your a doll Thanks for being you!
Old 2009-01-08, 9:21pm

Wow, Sarah! Thanks so much for sharing this! You're incredibly generous to do so. I love your work so much. What a treat!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2009-01-08, 11:31pm

Such beautiful beads! I would have never guessed how to do them, thank you so much for sharing.
Old 2009-01-08, 11:52pm

Beautiful beads Sarah. Thanks for the tutorial. I cannot wait to try it.

Debbie
Old 2009-01-09, 12:35am

You are wonderful Sarah. Thanks so much for sharing that!
Old 2009-01-09, 9:23am

Here are my first tries at this tut. Thanks so much Sarah! I am still quite the noob, but loved this tut, so easy!

I am happy with them, the green one cracked though, but gives me an excuse to try it again. Thanks again!

Mini-CC& M-5 oxycon

Old 2009-01-09, 10:45am

Woohoo, pics!

Those are awesome, Manda! I love the silvered one. Make more!

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-10, 7:55pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

These are SO much fun to make!!!! I have a bajillion cased stringers and this is a great way to use them up. Thank you Sarah!

p.s. stop staring at my bubble. Desiree says it adds "flavor".

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2009-01-10, 8:39pm

I absolutely love your ribbon beads! Thanks for sharing Sarah.

Michelle

Old 2009-01-10, 8:52pm
Critter Mom

Thank you, thank you, thank you Sarah. I'm not very good when it comes to figuring out what colors go with what, but I'm gonna give this a try. Maybe I'll be able to come up with something for the Tut Bead Swap. Wonderful tutorial Sarah.