No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-11-01, 7:24pm

Default leather cord help

Hi guys:

Any tips for getting (16") leather cord necklaces to loosen up and not hang so oddly? I'm arranging a display for a show and have a mix of leather cord and sterling silver chain. I don't want to do all sterling silver chain but would like the leather cord to hang a little nicer.

I used leather lotion on the cords to soften them up, and I have them hanging while awaiting the show to "train" them.

Not a super big deal but just thought I'd see if anyone had any other advice.

Thanks in advance!

Leslie
Old 2008-11-01, 7:45pm

I have had that problem too. I called the company I bought the cord from and the man told me I had to soak the cord in vegetable oil for a while. I had already made up the necklaces, and really wonder what oil would do to people's clothes, so I just hand-worked the cord with my fingers. It is a real pain, literally, but it did help to soften the cord and release some of its memory.

Of course, if you did soak the cords, you could probably get all the oil off....but after making things up it seemed like a real PETA to deal with vegetable oil! xiola

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-11-01, 8:11pm
Corgi Cult Member

They seem to straighten out pretty good once their worn. I wonder if the body's heat and humidity helps. Perhaps if you have enough days before your show you could wear one or two each day with a heavy pendant to loosen them up.

Old 2008-11-02, 3:01am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Heat and moisture will help. Hang them in direct sunlight for a while - just make sure that your glue does not disintigrate with it. A bit of steam from the kettle could also help, and then hanging it up straight after that.
Diana

Old 2008-11-02, 7:57am

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I'll give them a try.

This is a wonderful resource, this forum.

Leslie
Old 2008-11-03, 9:46am
Megan's personal Sherpa

As an equestrian I have alot of experience caring for and softening up leather goods! I use good old glycerine soap and water to clean, soften and put a nice sheen on leather. You can either buy a glycerine bar or liquid glycerine soap. You can probably find a plain, unscented glycerine bar at you local variety store or drug store. One product I like alot (because it comes in a spray bottle) is Leather New. You can order it online from any tack store but statelinetack.com has reasonable pricing. To use it, just get a regular old sponge, wet it, squeeze out most of the water, spray the Leather New on the sponge and then apply to the leather. It is not oily and does not stain clothing, skin, etc. Also quite gentle to skin and leather alike! My horse has sensitive skin and tolerates it fine.

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2008-12-01, 1:36pm

Sorry I didn't see this until now. Thanks for the great info!

Leslie
Old 2010-08-24, 5:54am
Did someone say SALE?

I know this is an old thread, but I wonder what might happen if you tumble your cords with some steel or plastic shot? (dry, I would say)
Old 2010-08-24, 7:19am

I wet them with water and let them hang. Then I put them in a shoebox sized plastic tote to take to a show. I use a few twist ties to keep them organized for transport.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2016-11-01, 12:14pm
JulieV

Reviving a very old thread - found this fun, brilliant method to soften and straighten leather.

http://jewelrymakingjournal.com/stra...-leather-cord/

Old 2016-11-01, 2:14pm

Great info people. Thanks so much. It's great when the older threads are revived.

Karen Sagar Art Glass

ripzzl
Old 2016-11-01, 7:20pm

I use a bone folder (in the card making /scrapbooking area) and run the leather between my thumb and it. It''ll loosen the leather right up

Lois