No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-10-31, 3:24pm
Dichro Addict

Default Max free air CFM of 12in round duct

Can anyone tell me the maximum free air flow through an open smooth 12 inch round duct?
THanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-31, 3:46pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenorasdesigns
Can anyone tell me the maximum free air flow through an open smooth 12 inch round duct?
THanks!
Zero..... Unless you have low pressure on one end of duct and air pressure (atmospheric) on the other end there will be no air flow....

Now if you have a fan pulling air out of a room at the rate of 500cfm (creating low pressure in room) .... The air flow through duct (fresh air in) to fill the room will be 500cfm.... There is no real free flow as it is, there must be some force pushing (or pulling) air through duct to get flow...

At some point it gets ridiculous to try and draw (force) a extremely large volume of air through duct, but I don't think you will ever come near that extreme building a glass studio...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-10-31, 4:16pm
Dichro Addict

Okay, I have a 900 CFM fan pulling air out of the room. Is a 12" open duct large enough for my makeup air?

Old 2006-10-31, 8:43pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Yes... If it has very little restrictions...

Dale

Old 2006-11-01, 5:25am
Safety ALWAYS

A 12" duct can handle approximately 700 CFM of fresh air intake.

An 8" duct can handle approximately 350 CFM of fresh air intake.

A 12" duct has twice the square inch area as a 8" duct (pi r squared).

So, no, a 12" duct cannot handle 900 CFM of fresh air.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-11-01, 9:00am
Gentleman of Leisure

Then are we to assume the 900cfm fan can only effectively move 700cfm of air through area?

Dale

Old 2006-11-01, 9:20am
Safety ALWAYS

I'd use the word efficiently instead of effectively.

You have to consider the whole system - fresh air in, bad air out. What will happen in a situation like this where there is a 200 CFM (I hate to use the word restriction) difference in powered exhaust and free flowing fresh air is that there will be an increase in SP somewhere in the system.

The fan will still pull/push 900 CFM, and 900 CFM will flow into the space, but it won't be free flowing, and there will be SP issues in the entire system.

In a large space, such as a garage or good sized room, this difference is rarely noticable, but in a small room it can make a difference.

The key point is "free flow".

In this case, what I'd do would be to duct the fresh air using a rectangular duct that measures at least 160 square inches to get to the 900 CFM free flow number. You can also use a 12" round and an 8" round, or a pair of 12" round ducts, but I'd rather make one hole than two.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-11-01, 10:33am
Dichro Addict

Thanks guys! I think I got the info I needed!!!