Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

View Poll Results: what is yours?
fire 37 34.26%
air 17 15.74%
water 40 37.04%
earth 14 12.96%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-02-28, 9:48pm
Bernhard Riegler

Default fire sign?

just wondering how many of you lampworker are actually fire signs (astrologically). Are fire signs more likely to enjoy working with flames? I know, this shouldn't be in the boro room, but I thought the true addicts work boro.
so please click the poll - maybe we all like to know . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-28, 11:00pm

How do you tell what elemental sign you are??

I'm an Aquarian so I always assumed I was a water baby. (and I really do love the water) But I like to get my hands in the soil with gardening and I love to torch. The only element I don't like is wind ... it makes me jumpy!!

Old 2011-02-28, 11:15pm

I don't put stock in this stuff, but I'm an air. According to the Chinese I'm a wood dog, but ask anyone else and I'm just a normal person!

Old 2011-03-01, 5:18am
I fart diamonds

Leo, baby! (and I prefer soft glass. Off mandrel, of course. )

Old 2011-03-01, 5:20am
Pyromaniac

#1 I'm a Saggitarius (fire)

#2 I put no stock in Astrology - but I do think that it is remotely possible that the season you are born in can affect temperament in a general way.

#3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrolo..._four_elements for which element you might be.

#4 Shawnette secretly loves boro or she would give me her glass so don't believe her - she's in denial. (nice edit there girlie)

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-03-01, 5:59am

Default Fire all the way

I am an Aries. Major fire!!
Old 2011-03-01, 7:32am

Glass is made from sand (earth), made more liquid (water) using a torch (fire) and given shape by breath (air).

Before you say "hang on I make beads and don't blow my glass"; don't forget that air and oxygen are also used to make your flame hotter

So, why is it important to ask who is a fire sign and hence make the implication that being a fire sign is more suited to glassworking? Just because fire is the most obvious and visible part of glassmaking?
It's like a finger pointing at the moon. You look at the finger, you miss all the heavenly glory!
In regards to making glass, fire would be useless without all the rest and vice versa.

Besides, by the opening statement "just wondering how many of you lampworker are actually fire signs" and "Are fire signs more likely to enjoy working with flames?" you're already polarizing the poll Better just to have the poll without initial comments and present your hypothesis once the results are in ... I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't vote

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2011-03-01, 8:22am

Chris ... thanks for the link. I'm the element that I'm least enamored with.

Wicked ... like your analysis. I figured the poll was just a bit of fun. But it's nice to see how all elements pull together to make the whole of the experiece. There's a strong lesson in that ... I believe!!

Old 2011-03-01, 12:00pm
Linda

Interesting poll. I'm water but love to play with fire.

Linda
Old 2011-03-01, 12:35pm

I'm Pisces and in chinese astrology Water Tiger. I don't really believe in much of it but the chinese astrology seems to me to be more accurate in compatibility predictions.

I like this very much-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post
Glass is made from sand (earth), made more liquid (water) using a torch (fire) and given shape by breath (air).
Makes me feel all New Age-y, one with the 4 corners and chit. lol

Old 2011-03-01, 3:53pm
Bliss Junkie

earth sign, Capricorn, chinese sing is dragon

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2011-03-01, 4:33pm
Burnt Wood Beads

I honestly didn't know there was an "element sign"...so I learned something today. I'm an Air, which totally fits!!! lol

Old 2011-03-01, 5:38pm
Bernhard Riegler

Sorry, don't take this too seriously. We had a discussion about it and I thought it would be interesting to find out if there is anything to it or not. My wife always says " your a fire sign and thats why you have to play with fire all the time . . . ." So far it looks like there is nothing to it. This is not a scientific experiment - just for fun . .

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2011-03-01, 7:05pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

I figure fire and air are required for combustion. Water and earth can put out. Therefore we are all qualified to be addicts.

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2011-03-01, 8:25pm

It might be more instructive to ask "has anyone ever told you that you were a perfectionist, detail oriented, or even anal??" If so, you could have the proper temperament to be a lampworker....

Double fire, btw...

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-03-01, 9:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
It might be more instructive to ask "has anyone ever told you that you were a perfectionist, detail oriented, or even anal??" If so, you could have the proper temperament to be a lampworker....

Double fire, btw...
Yup ... yup ... & yup. Pretty much every employee evaluation I've ever gotten regardless of the boss.

I've gotten better about the whole perfectionist thing ... at least with other people ... still tend to be really hard on myself. Especially about my artist endeavors.

Old 2011-03-02, 8:29am

I don't know what sign I am but I sure like to melt glass, it make me smile.

Old 2011-03-03, 6:11am
Growing Edge Glass

Hmm.....a leo..fire sign...elemental sign of fire too. I work soft glass, but have a nice stash of boro yet to be played with. I love the look of boro.

I also work with a torch via the jewelry design...so.. more fire.

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-03-04, 9:03pm
Hobby Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
Hmmm... I'm detail oriented but not the rest. Glass appeals to me because there is so much to constantly learn and try. I love an adventure and I'm passionate about my interests. I usually become obsessed with something until I master all aspects of it, then I abandon it for something else. I can honestly say that I think I will still be doing glass 50 years from now and it will still hold my interest.

Ps. Sagitarius here (fire sign)

Old 2011-03-05, 12:26am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Leo here!

Old 2011-03-05, 1:54am
I'm a lilac!

I'm a Taurus, an earth sign. I've been in love with melting glass since I first touched a torch in 1992, and never looked back.

BTW, boro or soft, true addicts work with glass, period.

Old 2011-03-05, 3:08am
Entropy increasing....

I'm a water dragon. Supposedly, this corresponds to Aries in Astrology. But I'm Aquarius, so what's up with that?

Last edited by Kevan; 2011-03-05 at 3:16am.
Old 2011-03-05, 1:15pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post
It's like a finger pointing at the moon. You look at the finger, you miss all the heavenly glory!
OMG....a line from Enter the Dragon.
Old 2011-03-05, 4:15pm

Interesting water is leading.

Old 2011-03-05, 9:23pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb tarry View Post
Interesting water is leading.
That might have to do with more babies being born in certain months of the year.

Quote:
More newborns arrive during the late summer and early fall months of July, August, and September than any other time of the year.
http://www.babycenter.com/0_22-surpr...tes_1372273.bc
Old 2011-03-06, 7:12pm

Aries
and my wife who also loves to play with hot glass is a Leo

#C-151
Old 2011-03-09, 7:27am

I'm a Leo, but I've been a scuba diver a lot longer than I've done glass.... I guess that might explain everything!
Old 2011-03-12, 12:41am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

And another Leo here

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-03-15, 12:58pm

i hit the wrong one, i'm air and i hit water.
whooops,
G.
Old 2019-09-16, 9:22am

Somehow accidentally got here and realized that it's really worth HomeMakerGuide 
 it. It's a delight not a site

Last edited by Jimmy Mays; 2019-09-16 at 9:25am.