LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-05, 10:17am

Question Are there tricks for seeing design when working?

Yep. I'm a newbie! I can't 'see' where to add dots in my implosion efforts. I realize I could use contrasting light/dark colors but am trying to do subtle colors. I have the same problem seeing where to poke flowers unless I'm using glass that contrasts when hot.

I had good success with j2canoe's little implosion tut except when I try the suggested purple transparent base, dark blue pastel (opaque), purple, aqua transparent, and light pink pastel. I could not see my dots to add the next row! I tried leaving them slightly raised instead of melting flat. It only worked for one row as they melted in as I proceeded to the next row. The whole process worked great... I just couldn't line things up.

Do any of you have tricks you'd like to share for identifying design elements when working your bead?
Old 2012-02-05, 10:26am
Tweedle Dumb

Are you using didy glasses or tinted glasses or any kind of soda flare reducing safety glasses? Those help.

They are all going to be shades of orange when they are hot, but they should show a little more when it is not molten. Take it out of the flame, let it cool a bit, get an idea of where you are at in the design then continue on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-02-05, 10:58am

Thanks Jamie Lynne. Yes, I'm wearing didy glasses. I find them an absolute must. You hit on the problem. When I let it cool a bit I can't see the difference between the blues and purples... not in or out of the flame.
Old 2012-02-06, 3:27am
Unmedicated since '62

Wait till you try red on black! Sometimes you just have to poke on faith

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-02-10, 5:16am

You put something under the red, clear? or white? Then you can see it against the black

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2012-02-11, 12:54am
Early Flameworker

I flash in in and out of the flame to keep it at the point where the colors almost always contrast, even on red and black. Just finished a ladybug-themed series, lol, I had to develop a technique
Old 2012-02-11, 1:41am
beads....mmmm

What color wall is behind your torch? I have light colored walls and white ceramic tile on my work table. I sometimes have to put a stainless sheet pan behind my torch to see what I'm doing. I have it propped up with my water/dump can. It helps!

Does this make sense?

::
Old 2012-02-11, 7:53pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Hmm I agree with Mediocremind- I use a lot of colors that "all look the same" in the flame and I use the flash in and out method I can see the outline of the dot and then I know where to place my next one or where to poke.

Deb- you made me laugh!!! I remember the first bead I made with red and black dots- That poor bead looked like a VERY special person who had WAY too much caffeine made it!!!! Nothing lined up and I was very disappointed...........