AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2024-02-28, 3:20pm

Olympic is the biggest distributor of lampwork cane. East Bay does not sell cane, just frit and rods (the big kilo furnace rods) There may be smaller sellers around, but I am not aware of them. There are a couple in Canada, but their selection is limited.
Old 2024-02-28, 3:23pm

And RL6209 is Multicolor. My rods look NOTHING like that. It is a striking color like many of the Double Helix strikers. Tan in the rod, strikes to green/purple/blue/magenta if you are lucky as hell and then when you put it in the kiln it reverts to tan. Ugh. But I have seen people that are better than me at striking the amber purples get some beautiful tones from it.
Old 2024-02-29, 5:37am
J R Hooper

One of the Devardi pinks I got turned out some really beautiful minis, very similar to the ones I posted earlier that turn from a pinkish-purple haze to gold in sunlight. I made a couple hundred or so and got to a spot in the rod that must have had an air bubble in it... ugh.
I actually talked to the Devardi guy, he seemed super nice and he's aware of the reputation they have. I was telling him that this would be a great opportunity for them to do something like a re-launch and start making some quality glass and he actually seemed to take it to heart and said he would put some serious thought into going with another manufacturer. If he were to follow through with that they could really make their mark right now. We should get him and that Zhou Defei guy together before he changes his mind!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2024-03-22, 3:31am
J R Hooper

Might have just gotten some really good news guys, got a response last evening to my email to CIM, I won't include the whole email, but here's an excerpt...

"I think it is likely that we will melt Gelly's Sty sometime this year. I'll add you to our enewsletter list so that you will get notification when that happens and it is back in stock.
Thanks so much for creating with CiM!"

Signs of life from CIM, I was tickled to hear it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2024-03-22, 8:47am

Sounds promising!
Old 2024-03-22, 12:53pm
Fried Cat

Kathy has always been transparent. I am 100% convinced if she was closing the doors, we’d know. She also indicated she was shifting CIM to part time. So naturally, she’d have less production this year.

That’s to say, CIM is alive. I don’t think we need to look for signs. Or encourage her partner to form a relationship with her competitor. She supports the lampwork industry in ways that we don’t have anywhere else in the world. If we ask for a true brown, eventually we get a seasonal release of many brown tones as they experiment with the color. No other international manufacturer does that. No other manufacturer sends out test samples to peers with different working styles and promotes their discoveries, for better or worse.

I am glad to hear some favorites are pencilled in to remelt. But calling her letter suicidal and suggesting Zhou jump ship is, frankly, a little offensive for all that she’s done for our community.
Old 2024-03-22, 4:38pm
Slogan Challenged...

Well I don't know that's fair to put that on someone who doesn't know her. That announcement did not sound very promising, so the news he has shared is VERY encouraging!

Lauscha has done a few new melts, recently. I hope we see some more from them too!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2024-03-23, 7:04am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGA View Post
Kathy has always been transparent. I am 100% convinced if she was closing the doors, we’d know. She also indicated she was shifting CIM to part time. So naturally, she’d have less production this year.

That’s to say, CIM is alive. I don’t think we need to look for signs. Or encourage her partner to form a relationship with her competitor. She supports the lampwork industry in ways that we don’t have anywhere else in the world. If we ask for a true brown, eventually we get a seasonal release of many brown tones as they experiment with the color. No other international manufacturer does that. No other manufacturer sends out test samples to peers with different working styles and promotes their discoveries, for better or worse.

I am glad to hear some favorites are pencilled in to remelt. But calling her letter suicidal and suggesting Zhou jump ship is, frankly, a little offensive for all that she’s done for our community.
I think if you will read my post, I used the word 'like', as in 'like a suicide letter'. That is a part of speech we used to call a simile, words such as 'like' or 'as' which are used to make comparisons and therefore avoid any literal interpretations. I don't know if that is something that is still taught or not, but generally speaking, when you see the word 'like' or 'as' used like that in a sentence, it is making a comparison and not meant to be taken literally.

As far as encouraging anyone to jump ship, when I wrote that post, I was under the impression that CIM was shutting down for good. So unless that ship was the Titanic or the Edmond Fitzgerald, I assumed this brilliant chemist was no longer making ANY glass, and halfheartedly suggested we should hook the guy up with another glass gig. I was just about to apologize for what I said, but then it occurred to me that I am not responsible for other people's feelings or their interpretations, be they correct or otherwise. But I will leave you with this 'food for thought'...

In a fairly recent interview John Cleese, of Monty Python fame, said something about modern dialogue with other people that I thought was pretty profound, which I will paraphrase roughly... 'There are people who go around looking for the thrill of being offended.'

Old 2024-03-23, 1:06pm

Zhou has other employment. CIM was a side effort for him.