No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2024-01-22, 9:24pm
J R Hooper

Default Murini

Saw this one when I was looking around on Flamedame earlier, how in the world do you get twists like that in a murini?
Edit: Wife just guessed it's twisted while pulling it, is it really that simple? Surely it's some kind of witchcraft? LOL

Last edited by jesnbec73; 2024-01-22 at 9:27pm.
Old 2024-01-22, 11:30pm
Slogan Challenged...

twisted while pulling, yep

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2024-01-23, 7:18am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
twisted while pulling, yep
Thirty years in this and I still just about learn something every day. Was browsing on etsy a while back and ran across these...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1493998...rials?ref=cart
Holy crap, these just blew me away. Any of you guys use these?
Old 2024-01-23, 9:52am

Another method is to to a tube implosion with spiraled tubing (or any other design) at the tip of the blank. The spiral flattens and implodes. Then you pull that 'marble' into rod and the pattern is running down the middle of the rod. Finally use for snapping milles. Takes some practice but allows fairly complex designs.
Old 2024-01-23, 10:35am
Slogan Challenged...

since you like enamels, you might like to learn those, Elena Hernburg is seriously awesome and she also publishes some tutorials. She's quite well known for using splashes of enamel to add color or depth, which is easier than adding more thick glass! I have a friend who is addicted to them and is learning to make her own. I might some day if I ever have the time. Astrid Reidel is another cool one.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2024-01-23, 10:38am
Slogan Challenged...

There is a tutorial on these, or similar, in one of the SLT back issues. **SWOON**

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1251221...&ref=related-3

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2024-01-23, 10:52am

Jenny Lamb also makes some really nice floral murrini. I bought some, but have never used it. One of the Japanese makers too, but can't remember which one. Ikuyo?
Old 2024-01-23, 4:42pm
J R Hooper

I've got a birthday coming up this Feb., going to start hinting on those millis I think
Any of you guys ever use one of those Japanese torches?
Old 2024-01-23, 4:43pm
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktscientist View Post
Another method is to to a tube implosion with spiraled tubing (or any other design) at the tip of the blank. The spiral flattens and implodes. Then you pull that 'marble' into rod and the pattern is running down the middle of the rod. Finally use for snapping milles. Takes some practice but allows fairly complex designs.
I've done some really simple ones, but I'm going to have try that.
Old 2024-01-25, 8:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesnbec73 View Post
I've got a birthday coming up this Feb., going to start hinting on those millis I think
Any of you guys ever use one of those Japanese torches?
I've been wanting to purchase a blue burner from jp lampwork in japan. The 8-jet torch has a control for the outer 7 jets AND a separate control for the center jet. Looks to be the size of most 7-jet torches like Lynx and such. Their larger torches have more outer rings but use the 8-jet as the center, still with 2 controls.
I haven't pulled the trigger due to price of purchase and shipping but I may just have to.
Old 2024-01-25, 9:24am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktscientist View Post
I've been wanting to purchase a blue burner from jp lampwork in japan. The 8-jet torch has a control for the outer 7 jets AND a separate control for the center jet. Looks to be the size of most 7-jet torches like Lynx and such. Their larger torches have more outer rings but use the 8-jet as the center, still with 2 controls.
I haven't pulled the trigger due to price of purchase and shipping but I may just have to.
I was looking into them, apparently they use propane and air, rather than oxygen. The ones I was looking at came with what looked to be a little aquarium type air pump and had a tray around the inside of the flame for warming pieces like millies. What appealed to me, at least initially, was the size of the flame, for beadwork that would be kind of awesome I think. With compressed air it doesn't get very hot and apparently can just barely melt 104. It is meant for satake glass with a COE of like 125, shoot that stuff anneals at like 890F. I guess that it would be hard to get much of that here in the US, but I'd love to try some just to say I did.
Have any of you guys used satake glass before?
Reckon a feller could run some O2 through that torch, the flame size would be just awesome?

http://www.jplampwork.com/a3index.htm
Most of the links on their page is throwing up a 404 error for me...

Last edited by jesnbec73; 2024-01-25 at 9:26am.
Old 2024-01-25, 9:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesnbec73 View Post
I was looking into them, apparently they use propane and air, rather than oxygen. The ones I was looking at came with what looked to be a little aquarium type air pump and had a tray around the inside of the flame for warming pieces like millies. What appealed to me, at least initially, was the size of the flame, for beadwork that would be kind of awesome I think. With compressed air it doesn't get very hot and apparently can just barely melt 104. It is meant for satake glass with a COE of like 125, shoot that stuff anneals at like 890F. I guess that it would be hard to get much of that here in the US, but I'd love to try some just to say I did.
Have any of you guys used satake glass before?
Reckon a feller could run some O2 through that torch, the flame size would be just awesome?

http://www.jplampwork.com/a3index.htm
Most of the links on their page is throwing up a 404 error for me...
Try this link:
http://www.jplampwork.com/kbssenglish.html

These run on oxygen by the way, not just air. They are used by Japanese laboratory glassblowers. They should handle boro no problem.
Old 2024-01-28, 10:25pm
dances with ideas...

Kathy, yes Ikuyo does fantastic floral murrini!
Kristin, that llink didn’t work for me. Was it the one by Elena?
Also Carole Ann Savage. And Kim Fields - I took a wonderful class with her about 5 years ago. They different methods of making them. So much to learn.
To get the best 3-D effects, buy the cane and learn how to use it from one of the masters.
I’m ridiculously crazy about murrini, especially the flowers.
The simple twistie murrini is fun too!

No clue about the torch.

Old 2024-01-29, 1:25pm
Slogan Challenged...

yes Elena tutorials
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Hernburg

Facebook:

Etsy: