No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-13, 8:05am
Empress of Fire & Wire

Default bottons with shank

hi all, I have a new project that I will start working on, and I wondered did anyone know where I could find info on how to make buttons with the shank at the back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-13, 8:21am

Cindy Jenkins book, Making Glass Beads, has instructions. There are probably tutorials out there as well.

Mimi
Old 2008-12-13, 8:26am
Empress of Fire & Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xMI View Post
Cindy Jenkins book, Making Glass Beads, has instructions. There are probably tutorials out there as well.

Mimi
thanks, I haven't seen any tuts but I will be on the look out, thanks.

Old 2008-12-13, 8:35am
Empress of Fire & Wire

anyone else?

Old 2008-12-13, 8:38am
all for the love of glass

Yeah, these are fun! My mom makes bags and covered books and wanted me to try to make one a while back and so I've since got a little carried away.
I started with a little base bead and set that in the kiln while I made the face of the button.
Start with a maria..flatten the end of your rod of glass..add your decoration to that. I've been pretty much staying with frit so far. I encase mine, shape as you want it. I use a press so I can stay uniform. Punty up to the face with a clear rod (why its easier to encase ) but you can punty up with whatever makes sense for your button. Melt off the base rod and flatten and shape that side up. Remove your base bead from the kiln and fasten your button securely on in the flame. Remove the punty and flame polish the face where punty was. Have fun!

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2008-12-13, 8:44am
Empress of Fire & Wire

oh wow, thanks so much!!!! I'll have to try that, I have plenty of frit, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamemoth View Post
Yeah, these are fun! My mom makes bags and covered books and wanted me to try to make one a while back and so I've since got a little carried away.
I started with a little base bead and set that in the kiln while I made the face of the button.
Start with a maria..flatten the end of your rod of glass..add your decoration to that. I've been pretty much staying with frit so far. I encase mine, shape as you want it. I use a press so I can stay uniform. Punty up to the face with a clear rod (why its easier to encase ) but you can punty up with whatever makes sense for your button. Melt off the base rod and flatten and shape that side up. Remove your base bead from the kiln and fasten your button securely on in the flame. Remove the punty and flame polish the face where punty was. Have fun!

Old 2008-12-13, 10:57am
Empress of Fire & Wire

anybody else?

Old 2008-12-13, 11:02am
Always with a smile!

I've done them with 16 gauge copper wire for the shank!

) and
)
Old 2008-12-13, 11:04am
Empress of Fire & Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknapp View Post
I've done them with 16 gauge copper wire for the shank!
that sounds cool, do you have pictures?

Old 2008-12-13, 2:29pm
Cancer Sucks!!!

You can also make them on the end of your mandrel. It will leave a little hole, that you can then epoxy a wire shank into.

Button collectors prefer wire shanks, I'm told. They have contests and collect different themes, they then put them on cards, that is why they prefer the wire shanks. They go onto the cards better. They have prizes for who collects the most of a particular theme, most imaginative way to display and others.

I'm bilingual, I speak Sarcasm as a second language!

New beads in my shoppe!! Finally!

Last edited by Vickie; 2008-12-13 at 2:31pm.
Old 2008-12-13, 2:54pm
Empress of Fire & Wire

thanks Vickie, do you have any like that to show a picture of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie View Post
You can also make them on the end of your mandrel. It will leave a little hole, that you can then epoxy a wire shank into.

Button collectors prefer wire shanks, I'm told. They have contests and collect different themes, they then put them on cards, that is why they prefer the wire shanks. They go onto the cards better. They have prizes for who collects the most of a particular theme, most imaginative way to display and others.

Old 2008-12-13, 4:26pm
Cancer Sucks!!!

Here ya go. These are quick, crappy pics but you'll get the idea. Looks like this one is a crappy epoxy job too. oh well. This is the last one of these I have too. I sent them with a button dealer to a show in Texas and he sold a bunch of them.

I'm bilingual, I speak Sarcasm as a second language!

New beads in my shoppe!! Finally!
Old 2008-12-13, 4:53pm
Empress of Fire & Wire

thank you so much!

Old 2008-12-13, 5:06pm
Dildo Kween!

I took the small copper tubing and cut them into individual shanks... heated the back of the button and the shank to pink-glowing... then placed it on the back of the button. Then I took a rod of whatever color.. and dabbed on the shank - then took a flattie tool - like a little knife, and flattened the dabs to the back og the button, and just made the shank look nice and pretty.

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2008-12-13, 5:09pm
Empress of Fire & Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi von Frozenfyre View Post
I took the small copper tubing and cut them into individual shanks... heated the back of the button and the shank to pink-glowing... then placed it on the back of the button. Then I took a rod of whatever color.. and dabbed on the shank - then took a flattie tool - like a little knife, and flattened the dabs to the back og the button, and just made the shank look nice and pretty.
that sounds really cool, as yo ucan guess, I am a visual person, do yo uhave any pictures of any that you have done? And thanks for sharing!

Old 2008-12-13, 7:08pm

I have some boro ones in the kiln tongiht. I'll get a pic for ya' tomorrow ;-D
Samma

Old 2008-12-13, 7:52pm
Empress of Fire & Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by samandsha View Post
I have some boro ones in the kiln tongiht. I'll get a pic for ya' tomorrow ;-D
Samma
cant wait to see them, thanks!

Old 2008-12-13, 8:01pm

Where do you get those shanks that aren't copper?

Old 2008-12-13, 8:30pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I have done them with cooper wire as the shank. bend the wire so it looks like an elecronics OHM symbol. I put the loop in a pin vice, and then wrap the prongs with glass and build up and out from there, they sky is the limit.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2008-12-13, 8:42pm
Dildo Kween!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplelilyone View Post
that sounds really cool, as yo ucan guess, I am a visual person, do yo uhave any pictures of any that you have done? And thanks for sharing!
Sorry I stopped doing glass 2 years ago and I threw out all photos and everything

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2008-12-13, 8:53pm
Type ZZZ personality

Do you have any trouble with the glass cracking where the metal is?

I've just done them like a cab, then do a loop on the back like you'd put on a pendant.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2008-12-13, 9:43pm
Empress of Fire & Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
I have done them with cooper wire as the shank. bend the wire so it looks like an elecronics OHM symbol. I put the loop in a pin vice, and then wrap the prongs with glass and build up and out from there, they sky is the limit.

Candice
thanks so much that sounds interesting.

Old 2008-12-14, 7:17am
Empress of Fire & Wire

I made a few last night, I'll post when I have pictures..... if they come out alright!

Old 2008-12-14, 9:16am
Run Free Sweet Boy

if you use copper and soft glass, dont kn ow about boro, but suspect it wont be a problem either... you dont have a lot of cracking, the metal is pretty forgiving with the glass.

but I have done boro over the head of stainless steel screws to make small drawer knobs.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2008-12-14, 10:53am

I build my button on the end of the rod. Then punty the face on another rod. Take a gather of glass and attach it in the back. Cut the gather in two and form into a loop.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-12-14, 11:05am
Empress of Fire & Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I build my button on the end of the rod. Then punty the face on another rod. Take a gather of glass and attach it in the back. Cut the gather in two and form into a loop.
wow, those are so nice, thanks for the ideas, I'm not so good with off mandrel work but I want to try those!!

Old 2008-12-14, 11:16am

My thinking with these is that the hole is less likely to have sharpe edges to cut the thread that the button is sewn on with.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-12-14, 1:51pm

I'm sorry for the dodgie pics! I dropped my camera and now the settings are all goofed up. So here's the ones I made yesterday.
Boro Buttons:

Button Backs:

Samma

Old 2008-12-14, 4:19pm
Empress of Fire & Wire

so pretty, thanks for posting front and backs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samandsha View Post
I'm sorry for the dodgie pics! I dropped my camera and now the settings are all goofed up. So here's the ones I made yesterday.
Boro Buttons:

Button Backs:

Samma

Old 2008-12-14, 6:39pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
but I have done boro over the head of stainless steel screws to make small drawer knobs.

Candice
Candice, how did the knobs turn out? I know boro's a little iffy with some metals, but that sounds like a wonderfully easy way to make them. I've got two knobs on my dresser made another way that I'm now testing to make sure they hold up

Oh, and the copper shank works with boro, it's just kind of a pain in the hiney to do. Though when I tried it I was putting the copper into the soupy hot back of a boro button. Building it around the copper from the get go might be a better way to go, I just worry about the heat from a boro friendly flame on copper. It's not so much melting it I worry about, but rather burning straight through it!

|
|