Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-09-03, 10:15am

Default Basic Studio

My very Basic setup. Box fan for ventilation, this is in the works and will be improved. Pint beer cans cut in half to hold punty rods and color. Old CD rack bent backwards to hold points and other hot glass. Its all a work in progress. But I finally have it and its mine. Super proud and stoked. Suggestions welcome!
My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/RC-Glass/159806377399163
Attached Images

Last edited by Troyd; 2012-09-03 at 10:40am.
Old 2012-09-03, 10:41am

might I suggest some kind of covering for your table top......tile or sheet metal.

looking good though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-03, 10:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragonfly View Post
might I suggest some kind of covering for your table top......tile or sheet metal.

looking good though.
Totally. The table has since been burned many times and I want to get it covered asap. The shop that I worked at prior to this had tile and I wasn't to thrilled on it. Maybe it was cheap stuff, I don't know but it liked to crack. Sheet metal is surprisingly expensive.

Carlisle on Tanks/Scorpion on Oxy-con
Old 2012-09-03, 12:07pm

Default Basic studio

I'm setting up my first studio so I have been doing alot of shopping around. An alternative to sheet metal would be metal flashing. It comes in different widths and you can tack or screw it to your table top. They carry it at the home improvement stores or hardware,lumber yards.
Old 2012-09-03, 1:08pm
Alaska Boro

Ceramic backer board (Hardibacker) is available at Lowes or Home Depot for under $14 per 3 x 5 foot piece. The 1/2 inch variety works well for a work surface. Also place a sheet on the back to prevent any possible issue with heat from the torch.

And test your ventilation with the 'smoke test' to make sure it is adequate.

Plus make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy.
Old 2012-09-03, 1:52pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Good work!
My dh lined my bench with some type of sheet metal. I think aluminum perhaps. It was very reasonable and no probs with anything catching on fire.
It was easy to put down and still looks good after over a year. Although it doesn't like my vinnegar salt pickle.

Old 2012-09-03, 6:13pm
Marble Lover

Grats, Troy. Looking forward to some pics of your work, now.

-BEP
Old 2012-09-03, 11:13pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Ceramic backer board (Hardibacker) is available at Lowes or Home Depot for under $14 per 3 x 5 foot piece. The 1/2 inch variety works well for a work surface. Also place a sheet on the back to prevent any possible issue with heat from the torch.

And test your ventilation with the 'smoke test' to make sure it is adequate.

Plus make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy.
I used hardibacker and painted it with flat black paint so I could see the
flame better. It sucks up a lot of paint.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2012-09-04, 4:10am

Ask around if you know any screen room builders etc, often they throw away scraps similar to flashing.

i also painted black, so see better, and use chalk to make notes.

Congrats!

Jen
Old 2012-09-04, 9:07am

do you have a scrap yard in your area, old aluminum street signs work good for covering wood and are easy to cut. Looks like a great start!
Old 2012-09-08, 9:39pm
Queen of the milo field

Hi - since you're in the Chicago area, find out when the various colleges/universities etc. have their surplus property auctions. They're usually scheduled every few months. One can find amazing deals for everything from glass storage to work tops. I posted my studio fairly recently - and some of the stuff I got includes: slate top for a back work table, storage cabinet, old computer work station for my torch table, etc. Sometimes other types of auctions can have stuff too. My stainless steel kiln table came from a pizza joint closing auction. Mind you it took several years of auctions to come up with some stuff, but replacement of something that was make do with something that really works - for cheap - is worth keeping an eye out.

dj
Old 2012-09-12, 1:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
Grats, Troy. Looking forward to some pics of your work, now.

-BEP
I've uploaded some pictures.

Thank you folks. If you look into one of the pictures you can see my fire extinguisher. I will look into your suggestions!

Carlisle on Tanks/Scorpion on Oxy-con
Old 2012-10-14, 7:18pm

Default Sheet Metal

My husband and I bought a piece of scrap metal for my table top for a very good price. They then cut it for us for $5 a cut, and voila, I have a fireproof table top, and wall board, for about $50.