Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-17, 4:20pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Default Question about Oxy concentrators.

I just saw one for sale on Craigslist. It's been used for people and I was wondering if it could be used for the torch or are there special things that have to be done to it first?

Anyone know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is............. Deb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-08-17, 4:24pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

it can be used as it is, assuming it is at least a 5 lpm - I doubt I would bother with anything less than that (not sure if they even make less than 5 lpm, but I seem to recall seeing a 3 lpm)

I bought one used for medical purposes as my second concentrator.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.

Last edited by squid; 2008-08-17 at 4:27pm.
Old 2008-08-17, 4:29pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
it can be used as it is, assuming it is at least a 5 lpm - I doubt I would bother with anything less than that (not sure if they even make less than 5 lpm, but I seem to recall seeing a 3 lpm)

I bought one used for medical purposes as my second concentrator.
Most of the oxycons sold for torching are rebuilt medical units.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-08-17, 4:29pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Thank you Squid.

I'm not sure what LPM it is. The ad didn't say. But if I can use it as is, I might look into it.
It's a respironics millenium home oxygen concentrator. I'm hoping it's the M10.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-08-17, 4:30pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Thanks Dennis, I just need to know if they needed some special fittings or parts to use them for torching.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-08-17, 5:01pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

LPM is liters per minute - that and psi are the most important info you need about the oxycon - oh and how many hours on it.

you'll need a screw on fitting and a tube to attach it to your torch hoses - any oxycon supplier should be able to sell it to you.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-17, 5:03pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The M10 is a 10 lpm unit.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-17, 7:18pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
The M10 is a 10 lpm unit.
The M10 is actually a 5 LPM unit.

It's a popular misconception and I try to make sure the right info is passed on.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-08-17, 7:56pm

The places I looked online list the Respironics Millenium M10 as having 10 LPM in the spec sheets including the manufacturer.

http://millennium10.respironics.com

I'm not sure how this relates to the M10 that Unlimited Oxygen sells.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2008-08-17, 8:16pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
The M10 is actually a 5 LPM unit.

It's a popular misconception and I try to make sure the right info is passed on.
huh - every google result I opened said it was 10 lpm?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-17, 8:17pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
The places I looked online list the Respironics Millenium M10 as having 10 LPM in the spec sheets including the manufacturer.

what he said

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-17, 8:22pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Yeah I read it was a 10 LPM too.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-08-17, 8:45pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post

If Respironics claims their M10 is 10 LPM and Unlimited Oxygen is rebuilding the Millenium M10 why wouldn't their M10 also be 10 LPM?

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-08-18, 3:36am
boro color bender

If it's the model straight from Respironics and it's their M10 (not Unlimited Oxygen's rebuilt unit), then I guess it is a 10 LPM machine... but the M-10 from Unlimited Oxygen is a 5 LPM machine... maybe THIS is where the confusion has come from. I had no idea the Millenium unit Respironics sells is also called an M10.

That's too confusing for words... I'll forward this link to Jack and he can explain why the model numbers are the same, because honestly, I have no idea why they would be even close.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-08-18, 3:37am
boro color bender

Oh and I'm hoping it's an M10 for you too... that would be an awesome score off Craig's List.

Old 2008-08-18, 8:30am
PyronamixK

Just to confirm, Respironics builds a 10 LPM machine called the Millennium 10 (or M10). As for the output pressure, the specs are a little misleading. They say that the operating pressure is 10-30 psig. That is the pressure from the process inside the machine, not the pressure of the oxygen coming out of the machine. I had contacted Respironics a long time ago about that and was told that the actual delivery pressure was 5.5 psi, give or take 0.25.
Old 2008-08-18, 11:23am

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
If it's the model straight from Respironics and it's their M10 (not Unlimited Oxygen's rebuilt unit), then I guess it is a 10 LPM machine... but the M-10 from Unlimited Oxygen is a 5 LPM machine... maybe THIS is where the confusion has come from. I had no idea the Millenium unit Respironics sells is also called an M10.

That's too confusing for words... I'll forward this link to Jack and he can explain why the model numbers are the same, because honestly, I have no idea why they would be even close.
Well, you're all right. Respironics does sell an M10 Millennium. I think when Paul and Jerry took a unit to the first show, it was a 10 psi and 10 lpm unit. But, he named the M10 for "Modified" non-medical unit. The M series name kinda stuck. I didnt like the similarities eather, but by that time it was too late. Too many people was associating the M with our units. Our M10 Series and M15 are named for thier pressure, not flow. Confusing as hell but it works. The Respironics M10 is a true 10 lpm unit. Like Kimberly, Im never clear on thier pressure specs. jack
Old 2008-08-18, 12:32pm
PyronamixK

Actually, I'm clear after talking to Respironics about it. The 10-30 psi is the pressure from the compressor inside the machine, but the outlet pressure, what we're concerned with when discussing torches, is 5.5 psi +/- 0.25 psi.

The unit Paul and Jerry took to the Louisville Gathering was called the "Millenium 10 Custom" at the show and put out 10 LPM at 20 psi. It was called the M10 by the time GTT got two to test out and was still a 10 LPM 20 psi unit. I think the "10" in that name reflected the LPM output, like it does in the original Respironics unit. It could not have reflected psi, since the specs for the psi for the original SCC/UO M10 were 18-22 psi. The two units GTT got as replacements to the original M10 were called the M20 and that was also a 10 LPM, 20 psi machine. I think that is the point were the pressure was the number being referrenced in the name. Once that unit was called "M20" (reflecting the pressure), the unit that put out 5 LPM at 10 psi was called the "M10."
Old 2008-08-18, 2:37pm
Oh No You Didn't!

So the Respironics M10 would be a 5 LPM as far as lampworking is concerned, correct?

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-08-18, 2:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsongstudio View Post
So the Respironics M10 would be a 5 LPM as far as lampworking is concerned, correct?
no, the Respironics unit should be a 10 lpm unit
Old 2008-08-18, 5:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
Actually, I'm clear after talking to Respironics about it. The 10-30 psi is the pressure from the compressor inside the machine, but the outlet pressure, what we're concerned with when discussing torches, is 5.5 psi +/- 0.25 psi.

The unit Paul and Jerry took to the Louisville Gathering was called the "Millenium 10 Custom" at the show and put out 10 LPM at 20 psi. It was called the M10 by the time GTT got two to test out and was still a 10 LPM 20 psi unit. I think the "10" in that name reflected the LPM output, like it does in the original Respironics unit. It could not have reflected psi, since the specs for the psi for the original SCC/UO M10 were 18-22 psi. The two units GTT got as replacements to the original M10 were called the M20 and that was also a 10 LPM, 20 psi machine. I think that is the point were the pressure was the number being referrenced in the name. Once that unit was called "M20" (reflecting the pressure), the unit that put out 5 LPM at 10 psi was called the "M10."

I think kbinkster could confuse a rock.

From chaos of the mind...comes creativity.
Theresa (Tee) McConatha ~
Old 2008-08-18, 5:50pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnana View Post
I understood it, but then again, I was trying to

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-18, 7:00pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Well, I'm still confused, but that's a normal state for me....LOL

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-08-18, 7:13pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Well, I'm still confused, but that's a normal state for me....LOL
Here, I'll make it simple... If you find a Respironics M10 (Millenium 10) on Craig's list, it is probably a 10 LPM, 5.5 psi machine. Unlimited Oxygen (Jack's company) also has a machine that they call "M10," but their machine is a 5 LPM, 10 psi machine.

The LPM is more important for most bead torches than the psi. So, the more LPM you can get, the better.
Old 2008-08-18, 7:17pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnana View Post
If you're confused about something, I would be be happy to clarify.
Old 2008-08-19, 9:11am
Butterfly Rancher

If you go to look at the oxycon, look at the gauge and see if the top number is a "5" or a "10". The gauge number relates to the LPM -- at least on all the oxycons I've seen so far. I don't know of a way to tell the PSI of an oxycon -- you have to rely on the manufacturer's spec sheet.

And Kimberly is more than willing to take the time to help clarify what she says -- she's a wonderfully natural teacher.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-08-19, 3:09pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Thank you Kimberly.
I went back and read the whole thread again and I think I got it now.

The ad says 8k hours and has been used very little since last service.
They're asking $350.00 for it. Is that a good deal?

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-08-19, 3:11pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

if it is a 10 lpm, yes, that is a very good deal. if it's a 5 lpm, it's ok, but I would probably try and buy one with a warranty for that price.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-19, 3:22pm

Quote:
Thank you Kimberly.
I went back and read the whole thread again and I think I got it now.

The ad says 8k hours and has been used very little since last service.
They're asking $350.00 for it. Is that a good deal?
I personally think it is a great deal! 8000 is hardly used. Most companies dont even require a filter check until 8000 hrs. jack
Old 2008-08-19, 3:51pm
PyronamixK

Well, it depends. For most other concentrators, it would be a great deal since they usually go 20-25K hours before breaking down, but I have heard that the Respironics units start to go out much sooner - after only 8-12K hours. Even so, you could get it and have it reconditioned when/if it goes out.

At that price, I think that it might be worth a try. You would probably get $350 worth of oxygen out of it before it goes.