Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-08-07, 12:03pm
one day at a time

Default What can I do with odd lot Effetre translucent yellow??

I have 7lbs of this glass because I went crazy and bought all of this that Flametree had on their shelf because I was freaking out! (kicking myself because I could have bought a LOT more streaky pink at that time too!)

I fell in love with it because I could mix this color with striking red and get a beautiful shampoo glass "flames" color with a pearlescent sheen. I made a few round beads with it, but never anything else since then. I think I have one rod of striking red around here somewhere.....

Anyway, what have you done with it? I need some inspiration mostly because I'm not too crazy about yellow. But other people really like it and I would like to make a few of my buyers happy....maybe.
Old 2005-08-07, 4:44pm

I have some of this too and am curious to see what you get for answers. Paula
Old 2005-08-07, 6:37pm

Hmmmm ... maybe use with reds, browns and dark greens for some fall beads?
Old 2005-08-07, 6:48pm

I love this stuff too and have used it mostly the way you mentioned. Now I wish I had 7 lbs, I only have about 1/4 - 1/2 lb ERRRR. I was thinking about how you can mix it with the red and get a nice sparkly orange and thought "what else could you mix it with and get a nice color?" Now, usually in glass mixing you can't mix like pigments, but I mixed with transparent cobalt and cased in clear and got a very nice sparkly olive green. Seems that no buyers liked it, but I do. Good for x-mas time I think.

Lara

For those of you that might be interested in the yellow red combo, here is a fire bead that I made. Again, nobody was interested in this one either. HMMM.... maybe it is the Translucent yellow and not me....NAH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2005-08-07, 7:18pm
Stress Cracked

I recall a color mixing chart that has some transparent yellow combos.

- Jim
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2005-08-07, 8:20pm
I'm a lilac!

Lara, that fire bead is gorgeous! And I wish I'd seen the T. yellow/cobalt blue combo earlier... I mixed some today and then looked at the resulting stringer and went "What am I going to do with that, anyway?" I like the color but would bet money on not being able to sell it, and it looks like you've confirmed that already. I love that set, though.

I also used it as a core and encased it with orange, red, cobalt, and grass green. We'll see if any of them look decent tomorrow! It might look great under dark topaz for fall.

Old 2005-08-08, 7:50am
A True Woofer

Lara, I love the sparkly olive beads! But then I'm a green fan, anyway.

Old 2005-08-08, 9:42am
one day at a time

Oooo Lara! I love the sparkly green!!!

I wonder if mixing this color with transparents is what gives it the shampoo pearlescent look?? I wish there was a way to mix it with a color and come up with something that looks like tigereye! Hmmm.....(ideas brewin') I think there is!

I'll try a few things and see what happens.....
Old 2005-08-08, 10:02am
One Crazy Mama

what does this color look like alone?

Old 2005-08-08, 11:33am
sunscreen me baby

I have been using it for Lance Armstrong type beads. I make an etched tab to go on black leather cord. It was a big hit with my husband and some of his friends at work.

~

Old 2005-08-08, 11:35am
sunscreen me baby

Sondra, it is the color of those livestrong rubber bracelets but semi transparant. I get so used to some of the cool things about glass I forget that the layperson finds them cool too. I kept hearing "wow, you can kinda see through it", lol.

~

Old 2005-08-08, 11:40am
One Crazy Mama

what does the regular stuff look like? I think i have 2 rods of it...kinda a butterscotch-y look?

Old 2005-08-08, 8:10pm

Thanks for the compliments guys. I really like the green color too. I'm thinking of making some red beads to go with it. I'm going to hunt for the picture of my plain yellow bead.

Lara

Old 2005-08-08, 9:00pm

OK 11 disks later, I found my picture. This picture sucks. It is one of my first digital picutures I took and it is not in focus. The base of this bead is made with the translucent yellow. You can't really see the sparkles, but they come out when cased.

This will give you an idea of the color. It is very pretty.

Lara

PS - Someone on WC said that mixing with amber, will give you honey, with red, as we can see, gives you fire. Wish I could remember who posted that first so I could give credit. I'm thinking I might try mixing with teal......
Attached Images

Last edited by Lara; 2005-08-08 at 9:02pm.
Old 2005-08-08, 9:31pm
Metallic Flame Studios

what number is it? I think I found some translucent Vetro but I can't tell if it's what you are talking about... plus now I can't find my darn striking RED! can find the striking orange, but not the darn red!

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-08-08, 9:51pm
<--- Time traveler

I think the color was Moretti 419.

Courtney
Old 2005-08-09, 4:16am
Who me?

It likes raku stringer on it - very organic.
Old 2005-08-09, 4:07pm

One of most favorite beads was a layer translucent yellow on clear and then sculpted into a solid colored head bead. And if I can remember where that picture is stored, I will post it. I called it an Avatar, but Nikki called it something like "the yellow guy with a lobster on his head.."
Think I can find a dump truck in the swap shop and can unearth it?

But I thank one and all! I never even thought of mixing it to get a shampoo like effect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bowing Deeply,
Ms. Booger

Old 2005-08-09, 7:10pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp
I think the color was Moretti 419.

Courtney
thx for the number...

now to go out to the shop while REMEMBERING the number!!!

LOL!!!

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-08-09, 7:11pm

*mutter* It did have a lobster on it's head, you were showing man's unhumanity to crustaceans. *sigh* Do I have to tell you everything??!?!

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2005-08-09, 7:16pm
Certified Glassaholic!

The number is 409

Old 2005-08-09, 7:29pm
<--- Time traveler

Hey, two out of three is... not helpful at all! Sorry about that.

Courtney
Old 2005-08-09, 8:51pm

Vetrofond Translucent yellow is not the same as this odd lot Moretti translucent yellow (the one with the sparkle). I don't think it is available anymore.

Lara

Old 2005-08-10, 6:29am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
PS - Someone on WC said that mixing with amber, will give you honey, with red, as we can see, gives you fire. Wish I could remember who posted that first so I could give credit. I'm thinking I might try mixing with teal......
Lara,

I'm pretty sure that was me, lol!!

I'm going to try and find the striking red and then I'll make some fire beads tonight!

Last edited by Lisi; 2005-08-10 at 6:32am.
Old 2005-08-10, 6:31am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotesfamily
what does the regular stuff look like? I think i have 2 rods of it...kinda a butterscotch-y look?
That could very well be the tranlucent yellow! The rods do look like the butterscotch candy.
Old 2005-08-10, 7:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefaniBeads
Lara,

I'm pretty sure that was me, lol!!

I'm going to try and find the striking red and then I'll make some fire beads tonight!

YEAH, now I am able to quote someone. Hope I remember next time Lisa

Lara