LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-01-01, 2:31pm
In spite of it all!

Default Solution To The Tapley Tool Hot Handle Problem OR How To Wrap Your Hot Tools.

I posted this in the other glass forum but thought that it would be good to share it here too.

Hi Everyone!

I went to post in the thread "Why I like the Tapley lentil tool" about the solution for the Tapleys being to hot to hold after a few presses and thought it would be better served to post in it's own thread.

Take your favorite Tapley (or any tool that needs to be wrapped to protect you from the heat) and about 8 to 10 inches of the rubber tape.
You can commonly buy this tape in the hardware stores. It looks like this......

Cut 2 pieces... one for each handle side of the tool. Once you have your pieces cut...(DO NOT REMOVE the blue protective cover from the tape yet).

Start at about 1/2 inch from the fork and place the splicing tape onto the tool.

You will notice that this stuff does not stick to the tool.... but it DOES stick to itself (most often irreversibly) and wrap the handles with it.
With the length cut you should be able to wrap your handle 2 times on each side.

After your first initial wrap stretch the tape as you go by giving it a good smooth tug. The tape works better this way to make it a permanent seal. It is mainly used for electrical splicing but the manufacture states that it protects to 500f.

You can also wrap the entire handle.

Be sure to wash hands well after handling.

Oh... cat hair optional!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-01-02, 1:07am

Yay for tool improvements!
(one more thing to add to my "hardware store store shopping list")

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies