Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-12-31, 10:08am

Default What do you do with boro powder?

I was wondering what boro people do with the boro powder. I bought some and wondered what to do with it.

Any ideas?

Lou
Old 2009-12-31, 12:40pm
The Venerable Bead

you can back pendants with it. you can roll a gather in it and pull out a stringer. you can roll a hot bead in it and encase. anything you can do with frit you can do with powder. what colors did you buy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Paula AKA The Venerable Bead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2009-12-31, 1:15pm

I bought all kinds, about 12 different.

Lou
Old 2009-12-31, 1:29pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

Seal of an end of a tube....pour some power in...heat nice and easy. -> instant colored tubing.

Old 2009-12-31, 6:18pm
Borovangelist

Just make sure you have really good ventilation too. Powder's fun, but it moves in the air easily.

|
|
Old 2009-12-31, 6:22pm
Borovangelist

Here's an example of what can be done with powders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQJv-CGQDYU

|
|
Old 2010-01-01, 8:14pm
randrew97

Boro powder is great for lots of applications. One of my favorites is to roll a piece of clear in powder a few times and create coloring tubing for pennies on the dollar. I quit coil potting (for the most part) after discovering powder. It is highly volatile though, by that I mean it gets airborne very easily and can destroy your lungs as well as a number of other respiratory issues. I usually transfer powder wearing a ventilator and carefully spoon it into the frit tray. I'd say above all just be smart when handing powder!
Old 2010-01-03, 8:51am
judejudejude

my son adds just enough water to make it the constituency of clay and then puts it in one section of a cardboard egg carton container to remove some of the water and then carves it. when finished carving he fires it. looks like raku pottery, it's beautiful. i have two of his pieces and will see if i can take pics and put them up on here.
Old 2010-01-03, 9:03am
ManBearPig

I use a lot of powder. This piece is amber tubing with silver strike 5 powder. This was my first vessel ever so no making fun of the lip...

Old 2010-01-03, 12:30pm

Looks good Cosmo!

Lou
Old 2010-01-03, 6:35pm

I use them for all sorts of things here is a fish i made after a class with Robert Mickelsen where we explored powder a bit. I also use it for pendant backs. that vase is beautiful cosmo!
have fun
ro
Attached Images

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.