Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-08-01, 10:28am
back at it

Default Source for glue-on bails for fusing?

Years ago I did fused pendants,etc. and always incorporated a stringing hole in them. I have just started playing around with fusing again and am wanting to try the glue-on type of sterling bails. Does anyone have a good source? I see that Burgard carries some but would like to see a few different types before making a decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-01, 3:05pm
It's time to sparkle

Rings and Things have a few different varities. They have a really nice sterling silver disc bail for only $4.25. That sounds like a lot until you see others at $12.00!

Old 2005-08-01, 3:29pm
back at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Rose
Rings and Things have a few different varities. They have a really nice sterling silver disc bail for only $4.25. That sounds like a lot until you see others at $12.00!
Thanks. I tried to find them online but could only find their basemetal ones. I'll have to check my catalog but it is years old!

Old 2005-08-02, 12:01pm
It's time to sparkle

I tried to transfer the link to here, but it wouldn't work.

Just do a search on their site of 'silver disc bail'. They'll be right at the top.

Old 2005-08-02, 4:36pm
back at it

Thanks! When I was on the site I looked for the search "box" and didn't see one. Should've looked at the links on the side. Duh.

Old 2005-08-02, 4:59pm
Aanraku Glass Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAnn
Thanks! When I was on the site I looked for the search "box" and didn't see one. Should've looked at the links on the side. Duh.

Try www.abasg.com/shop and click on the FINDINGS link.

Old 2005-08-02, 8:04pm
It's time to sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanraku
Try www.abasg.com/shop and click on the FINDINGS link.

Those are nice-I forgot about them. And they work either way-so you can have a leaf design on the front or back.

Old 2005-08-02, 10:58pm

I just found this link tonight: http://www.aaproducts.com/FUSINGSUPPLIES.html
On the left about half way down the page - chain bail. Sterling. 10 /$7.86
Old 2005-08-03, 9:20am
back at it

I might think about the ones at Aanraku for the future, they are nice. Really wanted something simple for now, and a bit cheaper for resale. Unfortunately fused pendants generally don't get the prices that lampwork does. The ones at AAproducts look like a good possibility. The fine silver ones that you fuse in are an interesting idea as well. Thanks!

Old 2005-08-03, 10:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAnn
I might think about the ones at Aanraku for the future, they are nice. Really wanted something simple for now, and a bit cheaper for resale. Unfortunately fused pendants generally don't get the prices that lampwork does. The ones at AAproducts look like a good possibility. The fine silver ones that you fuse in are an interesting idea as well. Thanks!

For the fused in ones I would guess it would be easy and cost effective just to make your own with fine silver wire. It is my understanding that you need to use fine silver, not sterling. I've read that sterling becomes too brittle in kiln. The fused part of the wire can even become a design element if you add some interesing bends to the wire. I do this with copper, but I have to admit to sometimes getting bubbles around the wire. But I'm a pretty newbie fuser so there are many things I haven't worked out yet.