Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-08-02, 5:41am

Default Dot Question

Is there a trick to making those little dots? I've tried and they always end up with all different sizes. Is it better to use a stringer instead of the regular rod? Thanks for any help. Plus...those cute little flowers so many of you make. When you overlap the petals, do you cover them in clear before putting on the second round of petals? I love all your guys work that you post. Now...if I can just make some decent dots and even just a single layer of petals! Even if I could just make one so I could wear it on a chain and actually be able to say, yes... I made this! LOL Thanks again, Barb H.
Old 2005-08-02, 5:49am
boro color bender

Practice practice practice... and yes, stringers are easier for some dots... Heidi invented the "dot", so I'm sure she'll chime in here too.

Just keep at it and you'll be inpressing yourself with what you made, in no time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-08-02, 7:09am
Dildo Kween!

Yes! This week only I'm having a sale on dots. 0.05 cents each!

I think you can have better control with stringer-made dots - until you get the hang of it and you can make dots out of just about any thickness of rod.

Work in a rythm

melt a tip of stringer to the size of dot you wish to have - then plop that baby onto the bead.

remember - the sale is this week only

Heidi

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2005-08-02, 7:46am

Thanks guys...........Yep I will do the P.P.P. thing, and Heidi, maybe about 5 dozen should do! You're tooooo funny. When frustration lurks, I get a chuckle when I come in here and lots of great info, so then I feel much better. Thanks again, Barb
Old 2005-08-07, 11:51am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi von Frozenfyre
Yes! This week only I'm having a sale on dots. 0.05 cents each!

I think you can have better control with stringer-made dots - until you get the hang of it and you can make dots out of just about any thickness of rod.

Work in a rythm

melt a tip of stringer to the size of dot you wish to have - then plop that baby onto the bead.

remember - the sale is this week only

Heidi
Hehe, Heidi you're funny!!

I found out recently (and I've been making beads for 2 years, sheesh) that I can get better dots this way. I had trouble with the HH because it threw the heat out all over and balled up the stringer too quickly. I have it much easier with the new torch. Now, was it the HH or me?! More likely me I think.
Old 2005-08-07, 3:32pm
Professional Bead Pimp

Lisa,

It was the HH. You MUST have good flame control to do consistent dots.

And Heidi summed it up:

RYTHYM !!

1. Heat the stringer to the size dot needed
2. Stab the dot onto the base bead
3. Pause for a fraction of a second with the stringer on the bead
4. Pull the stringer away the same direction off the dot each time

RYTHYM, works great for dots, not so good for birth control.

See post #24 in the 'Fish' thread for an example of consistent dots:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2552

Bill

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7

Last edited by BillBrach; 2005-08-07 at 3:53pm.
Old 2005-08-07, 4:28pm

RYTHYM, works great for dots, not so good for birth control.

LOL!!
Old 2005-08-07, 4:39pm

Get Brad Pearson's and Deanna G Dove's new book on Dots. Paula
Old 2005-08-07, 6:14pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I picked up the Pearson/Dove Dots book at the gathering - first time thru it was confusing as they seem to contradict each other. Then I decided it was SUPPOSED to be that way as it gives the "traditional" and the "impromptu" approach. The next time thru, it made lots of sense!

Old 2005-08-07, 6:54pm

I use the rythum method too and have birth lots of dot beads. Bill discribed it right, but you may want to try counting and start with larger dots. Hold the stringer or rod in the flame for X number of seconds, then dot onto the bead, turn bead, count for X number of second and dot, etc. As you get used to this, you won't need to count anymore. I just got the new dot book to, it is very good.

Lara

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2005-08-08, 4:09am
Professional Bead Pimp

Oh, I meant to add in my post that larger stringer, about 1/16" or so, works best. Too skinny and it melts too quickly, loosing control before you are ready.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-08-08, 9:36am
one day at a time

Thanks Bill! I'm relieved to know it was the HH and not me! It's a lot easier now, and the Mini CC does throw out a lot of radiant heat, but no problems really. I do have a problem with a "breathing" flame from the generator though. Yeah, I do have a small holding tank that I need to get hooked up, but I have to call the guys in NY (Airsep) because I think I need an 02 regulator??

Oops, sorry, veering off the subject!
Old 2005-08-11, 7:43pm

I ordered my book Monday, recieved it today (Thursday), and ~BRAVO~ Brad and Deanna, best $ I've spent in a while, great color pics, simple explanations. You've identified a few "trouble spots" I've had and given easy "fix-its". Now if I can find the time to PPP!

Vanessa
Old 2005-08-11, 10:34pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsrlove
I ordered my book Monday, recieved it today (Thursday), and ~BRAVO~ Brad and Deanna, best $ I've spent in a while, great color pics, simple explanations. You've identified a few "trouble spots" I've had and given easy "fix-its". Now if I can find the time to PPP!

Vanessa
No fair! I ordered mine Saturday! I'm getting better, but my dots still suck.

Old 2005-08-13, 2:36pm
Dances With Fire

yup....buy stringer! after awhile it will come naturally...ppp....also if you do pull your own stringer maybe try pulling the stringer off the end of the mandrel of the bead you are making....it is easier to get a thicker and shorter stringer that way when you are just learning to pull stringer thick!

crystal