No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-06-08, 9:26am
HotFlash Designs

Default making your own frit

I was curious if any of you make your own? I do, but just for my own use. Its my way of using up the little bits of silver glass rods that I don't want to waste.

But I have a project in mind using clear frit, and I want it to be high quality clear.

would I be better off asking a professional to make it for me?

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2014-06-08, 10:13am
Lifelong Student

I have a frit maker. I can get three different sizes of frit and I mix my own blends. It's actually a lot of fun to see the results of each combo.
Old 2014-06-08, 11:23am
HotFlash Designs

I have the sifters, and I enjoy making it.

Norma, do you keep the powdery bits? I usually toss it, but the more I think about it could there actually be anything good in there?

I'm just curious if I could get a good clear frit myself. I'm assuming if I use a quality clear glass, it will work. Trouble is, I'm wanting to make it in 96COE, and have no clue which clear is clearest, and will I ruin that by smashing it? I could use sheet glass. I have a ton of that.

Only way to find out is to do it. Right?

Old 2014-06-08, 11:34am
hyperT

Here is an easy way to make frits in smaller quantities But they can build up on you pretty fast if you stay at it. Watch the video a couple times before you try it.

https://vimeo.com/60524320
Old 2014-06-08, 11:50am
HotFlash Designs

Thanks!

Old 2014-06-08, 6:07pm
Lifelong Student

Sheri, I do use the powder frit when I want a more uniform color. The smaller the size the less splotchy...IMHO
I do have clear frit. I have used it as a quasi thin encased layer. it does not look nice and smooth like normal encasing does

Last edited by Mina; 2014-06-08 at 9:23pm.
Old 2014-06-08, 9:16pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Sheri, where do you get the sifters?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-06-09, 5:24am
one day at a time

Delphi and a seller on eBay has them. About $40.
Old 2014-06-09, 7:28am
Mr Brutus RIP

Thanks Lisi. I have big coffee containers with shorts so I figure I should start using them or get rid of them.

Old 2014-06-09, 7:35am
Lifelong Student

Glassy, if you decide to get rid of them send them my way...lol

Last edited by Mina; 2014-06-09 at 8:47pm.
Old 2014-06-09, 7:02pm
HotFlash Designs

I bought my sifters at Ed Hoys. I live fairly close, so I don't pay shipping when I buy from them. They are wholesale only though. I can let you know next time I am going if you'd like something. I do share my discount here, as it helps me reach my minimum order. Sometimes the discount isn't that great (since I'm not a huge account) but the sifters are 27.50 for a set .

Old 2014-06-09, 9:15pm
Glass-aholic

96 clear is Devine! Regular ole clear. It's beautiful soft and can take abuse. I stock 4 colors in my studio that are 96 (other than a lotta frit) more clear and raku than anything, and black and white just for accents/detail/core.

The clear will seriously make you think about switching coe's if you use a lot of it.

If you don't own any clear, it may be easier to order frit depending on how much you need. It's pretty easy to come by. (Even by the pound)
I have a blog post about making frit w/ instructions. Links in my siggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantonetoo View Post
I have the sifters, and I enjoy making it.

Norma, do you keep the powdery bits? I usually toss it, but the more I think about it could there actually be anything good in there?

I'm just curious if I could get a good clear frit myself. I'm assuming if I use a quality clear glass, it will work. Trouble is, I'm wanting to make it in 96COE, and have no clue which clear is clearest, and will I ruin that by smashing it? I could use sheet glass. I have a ton of that.

Only way to find out is to do it. Right?

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2014-06-09 at 9:17pm.
Old 2014-06-10, 6:01am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantonetoo View Post
I bought my sifters at Ed Hoys. I live fairly close, so I don't pay shipping when I buy from them. They are wholesale only though. I can let you know next time I am going if you'd like something. I do share my discount here, as it helps me reach my minimum order. Sometimes the discount isn't that great (since I'm not a huge account) but the sifters are 27.50 for a set .
That's a pretty good price, and with Priority Mail shipping, it will still come out lower than buying them elsewhere. Are they the same as Delphi's and this set on eBay?

http://www.delphiglass.com/fusing-su...ls/frit-sifter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frit-Sifters...-/390031035090
Old 2014-06-10, 6:23am
one day at a time

Just checked the site, it's the same set!

I have been needing another set ever since I lost mine in the fire in 2011. I used them to sort out the frit I buy from OCR to get it more consistent. Definitely have to do that with Gaffer frit! I'm picky about the consistency in the grain size of my frit when it's supposed to be #0 or #00.

Please let me know at least 10-14 days ahead of the date you want to order, and I should be able to Paypal you the funds in time so you can send your order in. Thanks for offering this! I really appreciate it!
Old 2014-06-10, 8:57am
Mr Brutus RIP

LOL Norma, ok
Sheri Yes, please let me know too and like Lisi, 10-14 days ahead would be great!!
sue

Old 2014-06-10, 7:19pm
HotFlash Designs

I will let you guys know. I usually go every couple of months or so. and "sharing" helps me get closer to my minimum order, which isn't really very high, but I don't always need a lot.

I can't get a good sized picture on their page, but it looks like the same set.

The only shipping you'd pay is from me to you.

Old 2014-06-10, 9:30pm
one day at a time

Thanks for sharing in getting such a great price! I'm making a lot of the little beads these days, and the finer frit needs to be more consistent than the size #1. The sifters will definitely take care of that!
Old 2014-07-21, 6:56pm

Here's a set of graduated sieves for $18.
http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Purpose-...eywords=sieves
Old 2014-07-22, 5:46am
MacGalver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrassGlass View Post
Here's a set of graduated sieves for $18.
http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Purpose-...eywords=sieves
I bought a set like this and was kinda disappointed in them. They're not horrible, but the design of the interchangeable sifters makes it easy to end up with glass bits stuck in the seam between the edge of the sifter and the screen. If you just sifted your frit through the center of the screen and stayed off from the sides it would probably be okay, but the set from Ed Hoy has worked out much better for me.

Also, at least on the set I got from Amazon, the largest size of sifter is pretty useless, it would maybe sift out size 3 or 4 frit from larger grains, but not too many of us use chunks that large anyway. This leaves you with only 3 screens, and the smallest one is so small almost nothing can get through it. I tried to use these when I was first making my own frit, and felt like I was wasting glass and repeating steps in the sifting process. If you're planning to do any quantity of frit, I think you'll like the sifters from Ed Hoy better.

Just my 2 cents worth!