No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-06-29, 7:45pm
Lifelong Student

Default Lower COE with mini CC

I use a mini CC torch. I have only used COE 104 and was wondering how I would adjust my flame to use on lower COE glass...more specifically, glass used for stained glass projects
Old 2014-06-29, 8:39pm

Try it first as though you were using a 104 rod and don't adjust anything. See how the glass you're using reacts. I find 90 and 96 glass to feel stiffer than 104, but it can vary depending on whether it's opaque or transparent. Depending on what I'm doing I might use a hotter, but still neutral, flame.

Mimi
Old 2014-06-29, 8:51pm
Lifelong Student

how do I make a hotter neutral flame? I am on an EX-15 O2 concentrator. I already use the O2 at full force...cant turn it up any farther
Old 2014-06-29, 9:04pm
Glass-aholic

Sounds like you are working really hot. I use one 5-lpm oxy con with my minor and it's good for 104. With a 15 you could easily do boro... And all the others. I would also suggest turning down the concentrator a bit. At full force you are not getting the fullest % of oxygen, and you certainly should not need all of it to work 104 glass.

I find that working 96 or 90 you can really tell the difference on a HH but not so much on a duel fuel torch. You may need to make a minor adjustment at the torch just like you would working with stiffer 104 colors. But that's all. 96 melts like butter!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-06-29, 10:16pm
Lifelong Student

I was wondering if I might be burning too hot. How do I know what is the right ratio of O2 and propane for 104
Old 2014-06-30, 4:22am
Loving learning

You need more or less heat depending on what you're doing. How long are your candles normally?
When you say you are using your oxy at full, are you talking about at the machine or at the torch?
Old 2014-06-30, 6:31am
Lifelong Student

The torch O2 is open all the way and the condenser is at the highest setting. The candles are about 1/2 inch with yellow/white tips and the candles are nice and even. I find that less O2 takes forever to melt the glass
Old 2014-06-30, 7:10am

A Mini CC is particularly easy to adjust to a neutral flame.

1. Back off the oxygen until the center candle is longer than the rest.
2. Bring oxygen in just until the candles even out.

For some glasses, this is perfect. For others, I bring in a little more oxygen until the hairy heads on the candles go bald. I consider both of them neutral flames - they're just tiny steps from each other.

Last edited by dusty; 2014-06-30 at 7:20am.
Old 2014-06-30, 9:32am
Loving learning

OK, the condenser should NOT be at the highest setting, maybe 80-85% from what I've read. That gives you purer oxygen, and your torch should work better.

My candles are not normally that long either, unless I'm needing a raging heat for some reason, but I'm on a Minor. Hopefully making your oxy give a higher oxy concentration will allow you to back off a bit at the torch.

I have never had my oxy knob turned up all the way, don't even know how far it will go, maybe I will check it when I go out in a bit.
Old 2014-06-30, 10:00am
Glass-aholic

When u turn the knob at the tank if you can see your concentrator you can watch the file move to it's setting, on a 5 lpm I find my sweet spot right around 4. I don't usually go higher than that. I do hook 2 concentrators together, and both will hover about 3-4 when I'm using them at my normal working conditions. It takes less time to melt with both hooked up, and I'm envious of your 15-x for sure!!! I'd probably work between 8-10 with it, and be comfortable there I'm thinking to melt at a decent pace but still be not burning the glass. Remember you may need to work further out in the flame working hotter as well. Some colors will not like u.. Lol. Silver glass I'm sure will love the heat! Oh and be sure to check your psi on your propane too. When I am working with the minor w/ the 5lpm oxy con I like it between 8-10psi, but I have seen many different opinions on this. You may want to check out the torch questions section of the library and do a search for your torch. You may find some really great info about your torch settings.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-06-30, 1:36pm
Lifelong Student

Good info, thanks all. I did recheck my settings and realized I gave incorrect info. My concentrator can go up to 10 LPM but I have it at 8 LPM, and I keep my propane at 5psi.

I tried using less O2 and keep my candles a little shorter. It worked fine just took a little longer to melt the glass especially the transparents
Old 2014-06-30, 2:24pm
Loving learning

I'm glad you're experimenting and finding out what your torch will do, and it's working for you.

It does sound like you've been using a really hot flame, so I'm sure it seems really slow if you turn it down!
Old 2014-06-30, 4:43pm
Lifelong Student

I'm glad I'm figuring this out now cause I'm about ready to start playing with more expensive ingredients. Just ordered some raku, silver foil, psyche, Rubino oro, and some Clio. I also got some EDP. All of these are heat sensitive
Old 2014-06-30, 5:42pm

maybe I misunderstood what you're doing, but if you have an M15, I believe the maximum LPM you should be running is 8, not 10. If you're running it at 8, you're running it full bore.

Mimi
Old 2014-06-30, 6:58pm
Lifelong Student

Is an M15 the same as an EX15? The company I bought it at told me to run it at 8LPM
Old 2014-06-30, 7:19pm

I believe they're the same as far as LPM/PSI. I have one of each and they seem to run the same, although cabinet color is different. I run it at around 7 when I'm just using one; I believe I get a better flame/better oxygen purity when it's lower than the Max setting.
I thought you'd written that yours went up to 10?

Mimi
Old 2014-06-30, 10:56pm
Lifelong Student

That is what I thought. I thought the company I bought from said it will go up to 10LPM but it was not the best thing for the machine
Old 2014-07-02, 9:50pm

I run a Hellcat which has a Mini CC in the middle when I am not firing the outer ring and I agree you need to kick your oxygen concentrator down a bit. What elevation are you at?
Old 2014-07-05, 7:09pm
HotFlash Designs

How do we adjust them to run at 8? Mine only has an adjustment knob up to 5. Does that mean mine only runs at 5psi/lpm? I thought mine was a 10lpm machine, but maybe not. As I read through this thread I am wondering. (it's all a learning curve for me still)

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2014-07-05, 7:45pm

It sounds like you have a concentrator that runs at 5 LPM. Not sure what the PSI is-- maybe that where you got the 10 from?

Try calling one of the vendors here and describing your machine to them. I'm sure they can help you determine which machine you have and what the LPM and PSI for it are.

Mimi
Old 2014-07-05, 8:33pm
Lifelong Student

Mountain, I am at sea level. I have turned down my O2 and adjusted propane to have a neutral flame. It is working fine except for when I am working with Devardi trasparents which are a little stiffer, but I take my time with them. In fact, I was able to do a sculptural piece because I was working with a cooler flame!!