LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-01-27, 3:03pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Keep this thread going!!! I love it. I am into making just plain ole raku stripey cane but now have started making raku frit wags with it. I love raku and love when I can find a new application for a twisty!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-27, 8:45pm

Default Keep this thread going!

Oh I love this thread and I even have something good to add!
I am twistie challenged, but have learnt a lot from Mary "Moth's" tut and made my best twisties ever this past week. This is my fav - nice over dark colors too.
I use Kim Affleck's mandrel method too - so much easlier.

Please excuse the husky hair in the bead scan!

Last edited by Vicki B.; 2009-01-27 at 8:58pm.
Old 2009-01-27, 8:55pm

Default DH twisties?

I'd love to see some recipes using Double Helix reducing glass!
Old 2009-01-27, 11:54pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

That's beautiful vickie!

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2009-01-28, 8:07am

Thanks Mona,
It's a triumph to finally get some decent twisties!

I've figured out it takes about an ounce of MAPP to pull a 2 foot twisty. I was able to pull each of these with 1.4 ounces left in my canister. (just in case any HH users are interested - I weigh the canister on a postal scale after each session, deduct 1 lb for the can itself and mark the remaining gas on the canister with a felt tip - DH's idea)
Old 2009-01-28, 8:30am

Nancy, I find that putting the hot twisties in a fiber blanket to cool a little slower minimizes the shocking.

Toni
Old 2009-01-28, 11:32am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki B. View Post
Thanks Mona,

I've figured out it takes about an ounce of MAPP to pull a 2 foot twisty. I was able to pull each of these with 1.4 ounces left in my canister. (just in case any HH users are interested - I weigh the canister on a postal scale after each session, deduct 1 lb for the can itself and mark the remaining gas on the canister with a felt tip - DH's idea)
OMG! Why didn't I think of doing that!!! What a great idea! I've always saved twisties and stringers to be made when I'm running out of gas, but never thought to weigh the cannister...I usually just tried to completely run out.

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2009-01-28, 2:40pm

Actually the canister weighs approx 15.5 oz.

I wouldn't try to do a big or complex (for me) twisty with less than 1.4 oz or so. Hate running out in the middle.

As far as the shockiness, air will cause it, but I also prewarm my twisties on the kiln top.
Old 2009-01-28, 2:43pm

Default Double Helix twisties anyone?

Anybody feel free to chime in with DH twisty ideas. I see some great ones in beads (I think) but can't tell if they are DH with clear, 2 DH colors twisted tog, or.......
Old 2009-01-28, 3:07pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Quote:
As far as the shockiness, air will cause it, but I also prewarm my twisties on the kiln top.
One of the things I learned in Trey's class regarding twisties is that when you set it down you want air around in in as uniform a way as possible, which means nothing touches the twistie except at the ends. You can also anneal your twisties.

Quote:
Anybody feel free to chime in with DH twisty ideas. I see some great ones in beads (I think) but can't tell if they are DH with clear, 2 DH colors twisted tog, or.......
Because silver colors are either striking or reducing, you would want to consider that need when thinking about encasing it vs leaving it exposed to the flame (I guess.)

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2009-02-09, 2:55pm

I'm chiming in here - please please PLEASE some twisties made with silvered glass. Please?
Old 2009-02-10, 4:32pm
Yeah me!

Here you go... Silver glass and DH twistie recipes....

http://www.seraphimflameworks.blogspot.com/

Old 2009-02-10, 9:13pm

Rust and Cinnamin by NS. Plum Crazy and Blue Exotic by NS
Old 2009-02-15, 8:02pm
Mr. Bubble -- OBS Member

Hi everyone. Thought I'd check out the twisty thread tonight. I saw the link for
seraphimflameworks. Wow, some of those twisty beads are out of this world. For those
of you who didn't keep up with the twisty exchange. Here's a picture of a bead I did
useing one of the twisties I made for the exchange, and the receipe.
The two little beads are the same but on opal yellow.

Twisty = LT. Brown core striped with Wasabi, Nile Green and CIM Black.

Last edited by FERRET; 2010-02-22 at 5:04pm.
Old 2009-02-26, 7:30am

Hi, Kristina!

Thanks so much for posting the Seraphim link - have greatly admired their beads for the longest!
Old 2009-02-26, 1:13pm

Hey Vicki
This info is VERY useful... If you figure in the cost of your glass, and the cost of MAPP gas used, what does it end up costing you for a 2 foot pull of Twisty? Any ideas?

The reason I ask is that we have a customer who buys 20 pieces
(ie (20 pieces) - 8 inch lengths equals (6.6 pieces) - 2 foot pulls) of our Raku and IB twisties at a time and she told us that making that amount of pieces on her MAPP torch, figuring cost of MAPP with the cost of the Raku and IB Twisties, ends up costing her over $55, so it's cheaper and less labor intensive for her to buy them from us.

I'm just wondering if she is figuring the cost correctly (I don't know the price of MAPP gas). If she is, the that means that it's cheaper for ANYONE using MAPP to pay to get them (RAKU and IB) made by us... and that sounds incorrect to me. Thanks for the info, it's helpful to me when helping customers decide to make a good decision (for them).

Hugs Pam & Lynnie

Quote:
Thanks Mona,

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2009-08-15, 12:47pm

great info, thx to all!!

Old 2009-08-19, 5:32pm
Recovering Enabler

Love this!

Old 2010-02-25, 1:41pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Any more NEW twisty recipes??????

Jack

Old 2010-02-25, 2:00pm

She could be purchasing those small cannisters from Home Depot. They are so expensive for such a little dab of gas!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2012-02-08, 11:48am
Cat Winx

bump

Old 2012-02-08, 12:09pm

Absolutely gorgeous work Cynthia!
Old 2012-02-08, 2:17pm
...displaced ocean lover

Default Where did this go??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiG View Post
The last I read he said "Ok, I will build a thread".... where?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-02-08, 2:22pm
...displaced ocean lover

ha! found it!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75360

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-03-01, 6:27am
what's a senior moment ?

I hadn't made any twisties in a VERY long time (I'd say in over 2 years) so went searching here to get started again with some basic ideas and this terrific thread came up. Only one thread of many twistie receipes and how to threads. It brought it all back pretty quickly plus I remembered how I enjoyed trying all the different methods of making them ! Gotta love it !

Last edited by dla; 2012-03-01 at 6:30am.
Old 2012-03-03, 8:20am

Default Twisties/Canes Murrini fun

These are my own handmade twisties with goldstone, bluestone and different patterns.
Attached Images

Old 2012-03-03, 10:54pm

Oooh. Those are very cool! And I've never seen one like the hite one with the little black stripes in between the twists. Nice!

Oh.. I really like that tut by Wes, too! Wish I had a big poker. Did I really type that?

Last edited by LampworkbyLori; 2012-03-03 at 10:57pm.
Old 2012-03-09, 8:59am
Formerly FishBulb

Love this thread! All sorts of great ideas here.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-03-09, 7:00pm
color bomb

Jador, I love your ballerino cane! (The black and white one by the top). Wonderfully balanced on top of everything else. Yay!

I'm too scared to try ballerino just yet.
Old 2012-03-09, 11:00pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Beautiful. I love to make twistys but have never written them down........which is a drag when I find a good one. LOL Gotta start writing them down as of now!!