Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-04-12, 4:02pm

Default Boro Trivia

Did you know that borosilicate occurs in nature? (Do you care. )

Dumortierite is a basic aluminum borosilicate Al6.5-7(BO3)(SiO4)3(O,OH)3.

My uncle just sent me a bit of it to polish up. Here is what it looks like so far.

Eric
Attached Images

Last edited by e. mort; 2006-04-12 at 4:03pm. Reason: Needed to post the picture!
Old 2006-04-12, 4:19pm
In search of her path....

wow thats beautiful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2006-04-12, 6:27pm
Old enough to know better

I didn't know. How interesting. I have a small piece of it somewhere. It looks a lot like lapis.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-13, 3:29am
borobucaneer

Can it be used like moldivite, or gilson opal?
Old 2006-04-13, 4:21am
Old enough to know better

I don't think so, although the information below indicates it's used in ceramics and porcelain. It's not actually glass, since it does form crystals. I looked it up - it's a lot harder than I thought it was. I didn't realize Tourmaline is a borosilicate! I know for a fact you can't use Tourmaline in hot glass since I've tried it with some tumbled stuff. Here's some info from my favorite mineral website, mineral.galleries.com:

Chemistry: Al6.5 - 7(BO3)(SiO4)3(O, OH)3, Aluminum Boro-silicate Hydroxide.
Class: Silicates
Subclass: Nesosilicates
Uses: As an ornamental and semi-precious stone, in the manufacture of high grade ceramics and porcelain and as mineral specimens.
Specimens
Dumortierite is a boro-silicate mineral that is used as a popular ornamental stone. It has a deep violet to blue color that is very attractive and unusual. Although it is not used as a gemstone due to a lack of clarity, it does have good hardness and a bright color. Massive dumortierite can be carved into cabochons, beads, sculptures, eggs and spheres. A variety of quartz called dumortierite quartz is massive quartz colored blue by included crystals of dumortierite. Dumortierite can be misidentified as other ornamental stones such as sodalite, lazurite and lazulite. Blue sodalite has more white portions and is much lighter in density. Lazurite and lazulite are not fibrous. In China, some dumortierite has been used as an imitation lapis lazuli in carvings.
Dumortierite is related to several other nesosilicate boro-silicates such as grandidierite, harkerite, holtite, kornerupine, magnesiodumortierite, prismatine and werdingite. Dumortierite is far more common than all of these. In fact, it is the most common boro-silicate with the exception of the more common members of the Tourmaline Group. Dumortierite is commonly found in aluminum rich metamorphic rocks in contact metamorphic regions and in some pegmatites. It can alter to the mineral pyrophyllite. Dumortierite is named for the French paleontologist, Eugene Dumortier.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-13, 5:56am
ManBearPig

Save a small piece and try encasing it.

Old 2006-04-14, 11:02am

Really cool.
Old 2006-04-15, 1:19pm
Save the Numbats

That is cool. What a pretty stone.
I wonder if some of the Chinese stone beads you see at bead stores are made form that stone? They cut plenty of Lapis and Sodalite beads.

As far as encasing... well, I guess you could try it. Just because it's borosilicate -like chemically doesn't necessarily mean it's any where near 33 coe, however.
Old 2006-04-15, 3:01pm

The Chinese cut a lot of beads out of this stuff, and use it as a lapis substitute.

Eric
Old 2006-04-16, 5:39pm

Wow, that's a pretty blue color. Mother nature does good stuff. - Kristy