Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-04-11, 2:02pm
SandyQ

Red face concentrator/generator torch boro... et cet.

Hello everybody.

I am not well-versed in this area AT ALL. I have never worked with boro. I am currently working with a minor torch and moretti glass and use a mondo oxygen tank that I get refilled every time I run out. I am wanting to go to a baraccuda torch (so I can start playing with boro) and would like to get a different setup for the oxygen part of the glass burning working process. I would LOVE feedback on what I should be getting. I want to get COMPLETELY away from paying 55 bucks every time I need to refill my oxygen tank. Last year alone, I spent nearly 800 bucks in oxygen.

SO, honestly, I really need someone(s) to TELL me what I need to get in order to get the proper oxygen to run a baraccuda torch and get completely OUT of paying to have my tank refilled. (I live in Canada, and would love to find a place in Canada to purchase from - but will purchase from States if I need to ). Right now, if hubby is not home and the tank needs refilling, I am SOL and have to wait till he does get home, as there is no way in heckums I can lift that huge tank and get it down to the shop to refill it...and they don't do pickup/delivery.

SO, please, everybody, e-mail me at chickadee_quiring@sasktel.net or PM me via LE ...OR just put message here... with your suggestions. I would sooooooo GREATLY appreciate it.

Have a great day everybody!

Sandy Quiring

Last edited by SandyQ; 2006-04-11 at 2:48pm.
Old 2006-04-11, 4:14pm
PyronamixK

Nortel (in Canada) sells concentrators.

It would be great if you could get a 4 stud Barracuda so you could run the centerfire on a seperate source of oxygen from the outer fire. That would open up your options for concentrators/generators. Heck, you could run your center on a concentrator, just like a Piranha, and your outer on a tank if you wanted. You would probably use your centerfire much more than the outer anyway.
Old 2006-04-11, 5:38pm
borobucaneer

Isn't someone makin a conversion? I could have imagined it...Hmmmm
Old 2006-04-11, 5:40pm
boro color bender

I use 2 M-20's on my Cuda and love it so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-04-11, 6:50pm
SandyQ

Thanks for the info so far... I am just SOO stupid in this stuff... LOL. BUT I am TRYING to learn. Thanks Kibinkster. I'll research Nortel tomorrow when I find my brain. Been editing medical records since 6 a.m.

Mr. Smiley, you crack me up (the other white meat) ... I have no clue why but that just makes me laugh like crazy. Where would I look for the M-20s? (I know... you are so rolling your eyeballs at me) LOL

Keep the info coming...the more the merrier!
Old 2006-04-11, 8:42pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylie
Isn't someone makin a conversion? I could have imagined it...Hmmmm
Yes, someone is making a 4 stud manifold for the Barracuda. I believe Kristian at Generations Glass is selling them. He also sells the M-20 concentrators.
Old 2006-04-12, 5:20am

Yes, we have the Barracuda 4-Port manifolds. The Tiger Shark ones will be arriving next week.
Old 2006-04-12, 5:54am

oxy system specs
OG 15 $1600.00
OG 15 deadband pressure switch $150.00
Rix micro boost oxy compressor 115v; 50/60Hz # MB-D-115 $4500.00
High pressure hose $100.00
Shipping $100.00
Misc fittings apx $100.00
K tanks from local fire dept supplier $150.00 each (I picked them up)
Total apx: $6750.00
It takes 24 hours to fill one empty k tank. I have them set to fill when combined tanks go to 1000psi. I usually set them to run at night. No issues for fill time so far its great.
Considering mirage eats a tank so fast it was cost effective to use the system. I could not keep filling 80 cuft. tank daily at 18.00$ per fill. Now at least after a year or so it will have paid for itself then free oxy forever. Also if your system is in a basement it needs to be 40% humidity or less. I have a large dehumidifier running 24/7 which pump drains outside. It was the best decision for me. If I purchased a generator for direct feed to the torch it was about 11,000$ and torch specific for flow rates. Now it does not matter what torches I run. contact fred morgan at ogsi if your interested.
ro
Old 2006-04-12, 1:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro
oxy system specs
OG 15 $1600.00
OG 15 deadband pressure switch $150.00
Rix micro boost oxy compressor 115v; 50/60Hz # MB-D-115 $4500.00
High pressure hose $100.00
Shipping $100.00
Misc fittings apx $100.00
K tanks from local fire dept supplier $150.00 each (I picked them up)
Total apx: $6750.00
It takes 24 hours to fill one empty k tank. I have them set to fill when combined tanks go to 1000psi. I usually set them to run at night. No issues for fill time so far its great.
Considering mirage eats a tank so fast it was cost effective to use the system. I could not keep filling 80 cuft. tank daily at 18.00$ per fill. Now at least after a year or so it will have paid for itself then free oxy forever. Also if your system is in a basement it needs to be 40% humidity or less. I have a large dehumidifier running 24/7 which pump drains outside. It was the best decision for me. If I purchased a generator for direct feed to the torch it was about 11,000$ and torch specific for flow rates. Now it does not matter what torches I run. contact fred morgan at ogsi if your interested.
ro
Yo Ro,

I talked to Fred about this system except he now offers the OG 20 and said that it will fill a k tank in about 16 hours.

The only issue I had with the systems is that Fred told me that I would be limited to 4 k tank refills per week.

How often do you refill a k tank per week?

Robert
Old 2006-04-12, 4:54pm
SandyQ

thanks Ro for the information. More research for me I really appreciate the help!
Old 2006-04-13, 6:38am

Default oxy set up

i have 2 k's ponied together with fittings from my local welding supply, i fill when they combined go to 1000 lbs. i usually set them to fill at night when im done working, then turn off before starting again, although i could fill and work at the same time, just have to watch if kiln is running cant do laundry too or dishwasher. i fill less than 1x./week but definitely at least once every almost 2 weeks, ive been working a lot more lately but still no issue with fills. it depends on how much i work but with this set up i have never had an issue with not having oxy just the opposite actually. if they have a 20 and its 16 hrs rather than 24 like mine you should never have fill time issues. as of now if i get down to 1000 and run it 2 nights even working during the day between they are full again. either that or i run it when i know i wont work for a day or so.
ro
Attached Images

Last edited by Ro; 2006-04-13 at 6:44am.
Old 2006-04-13, 6:39am

black hose you see is from microbooster, green out on tanks is to foot pedal for torch, capped end to right of black hose is for my hand torch regulator if i ever buy one. you may want to do 2 tanks and pony or swap out, this way never an issue for you. I might have a oxy issue if i only used one tank. math doesnt add up, 16 hours times 4 fills is only 64 hours there are 168 hours in a week?
ro

Last edited by Ro; 2006-04-13 at 6:42am.
Old 2006-04-13, 8:05am
ManBearPig

So you're running the torch off tanks, and just using the generator to fill the tanks, right? Not using the generator to run a torch?

This idea really intrigues me, especially with our studio getting ready to open, and the prospect of feeding 12 torches with oxygen...

Old 2006-04-13, 8:14am
Member of the Booger7

I'm so glad that someone is asking about this. I am also looking into opening a studio/classroom area and would like to hear suggestions for running several torches.

Dianna -

Old 2006-04-13, 11:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro
black hose you see is from microbooster, green out on tanks is to foot pedal for torch, capped end to right of black hose is for my hand torch regulator if i ever buy one. you may want to do 2 tanks and pony or swap out, this way never an issue for you. I might have a oxy issue if i only used one tank. math doesnt add up, 16 hours times 4 fills is only 64 hours there are 168 hours in a week?
ro
Ro, I was told by OGSI that the microboost is not made to be run 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I was told by Fred that it would be best ti fill a tank every other day and the unit would last many years of service.
This is why he said the unit had a limit of filling only upto 4 k tanks a week.

The salesman at Rix industries, the company that makes the Microboost that OGSI sells, also said that the microboost is not a heavy duty unit and it better used to refill halk empty tanks.

http://www.rixindustries.com/products_mini.html

I guess a lot of suba drivers alsoo use this unit to refill tanks.
Old 2006-04-14, 8:33am
SandyQ

Wow, THANKS EVERYBODY. I am getting a lot of information. Right now, I have a tank I use that is huge that I refill (as stated above). I have a tiny kiln, and a table, that is the extent of my "studio." However, my renter moved out of our revenue suite in January and we won't be renting it out again, so I will be moving into the revenue suite and will actually have an honest-to-God studio! woohoo... That is why I had asked the question above as well because I want to be set up for "FUTURE" adventures that I would like to dabble in Thanks so much for all the input
Old 2006-04-14, 6:21pm

I checked out purchasing a system from "On Site Gas Systems Inc." after reading the article in "Glass Line" about them. (December/January 2005/06 Volume 19, Number 4) They can do a system which will feed the inner and outer rings of the Delta directly, or a system that can feed the inner ring, plus charge a K tank that feeds the outer ring. The quote wasn't cheap (around $8K) and the system does require a rather noisy compressor along with it. However, it is a heavy duty industrail system that should last over 20 years. I know the US military uses some of their units.

You can check them out at the following web site.

http://www.onsitegas.com/application_details.asp?ID=43

Oh, and I have no connection with this company. In other words, they aren't paying me squat to write this.

Eric
Old 2006-04-14, 6:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort
I checked out purchasing a system from "On Site Gas Systems Inc." after reading the article in "Glass Line" about them. (December/January 2005/06 Volume 19, Number 4) They can do a system which will feed the inner and outer rings of the Delta directly, or a system that can feed the inner ring, plus charge a K tank that feeds the outer ring. The quote wasn't cheap (around $8K) and the system does require a rather noisy compressor along with it. However, it is a heavy duty industrail system that should last over 20 years. I know the US military uses some of their units.

You can check them out at the following web site.

http://www.onsitegas.com/application_details.asp?ID=43

Oh, and I have no connection with this company. In other words, they aren't paying me squat to write this.

Eric
I also looked that On Site Gas for there Pro 4 system. The only issue I have is with the compressor. Some say the Compressor is not that loud, but my small compressor for my porter cable nail gun is LOUD.

I'm not sure if I could handle a loud system running in the background all the time.

Robert
Old 2006-04-14, 7:48pm

Yeah, the noise is a big issue for me as well. (Of course the price is a big issue too.) But, I can just picture my neighbors getting after me about a noisy compressor. Couldn't really blame them for it either as I wouldn't appreciate it if they were running a noisy compressor all day either. I know you can build a "hush box" for it, but that can get pretty expensive as well. Well, maybe one day when the kids are out of school, I can move out into the boonies someplace and not have to worry about it.

Oh, and the unit I was quoted for was the Pro 8....I think.

Eric
Old 2006-04-16, 5:44pm
SandyQ

thanks for the additional info. It is very appreciated. Now I have to find the basement suite...it is filled with my brother-in-law's furniture now LOL. We are gonna have a mondo garage sale once it gets warmer. That could be sometime in JUNE OR JULY bwahahaha. Have a great weekend everybody!