Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-04-08, 10:42am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Default First Success With Boro

Just wanted to say thanks to Brent & Eric & everyone else...your Q&A points have really been helpful. I'm attaching an image - it's waiting for your constructive comments! Again - thanks to all - this Room is FABULOUS!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-08, 10:52am
Nah, not really...;)

Wow, awesome colors!!! Way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-08, 10:52am

Very Nice! Is that DAP or GA Triple Passion in those beads on the left. Regardless, you were able to get great colors on your first try. I am curious, did you get the colors after flamestriking or did you have to anneal?

Eric
Old 2006-04-08, 11:02am
Satake Woman!

Super! That green/blue on the right is very nice.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-04-08, 11:06am
Serenity Now!

Beautiful! I'm curious about Eric's questions as well

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-04-08, 11:21am
Yup.

Beautiful colors, Lynn!!!! Way to go!!! You said you were going to do it and then you did. Perfect! Do tell more about the process, please!

(I'm so ashamed I haven't been here playing in this room more. I'm a silly girl.)

~
~
Old 2006-04-08, 11:28am
borobucaneer

They look great!!
Old 2006-04-08, 11:31am
The Venerable Bead

way to go girl! excellent job. Is that my Coral Passion and Amber Mist frit?

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2006-04-08, 12:14pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

The pink/coral beads on the left of the screen are a base of DAP, a little yellow and Coral Passion frit from Paula. Added the boro to a clear rod and pulled the cane...made a base bead of clear and the cane added to that and melted slightly....then spot heated to pick up Coral Passion frit - heated to seat and start to melt - encased and then heated the snot out of it until the haze left - cooled for about 60 seconds under the bench until the glow was gone and then flame strike (got light color) then into annealer at 850 garage temp - anneal at 1150 x4hrs then cool down.

The blue was Glacier Blue and Phatol Green with Purposeful Turtoise frit from Paula's website - made the same way as the pinks.

Now I need to play with actually covering all the base pyrex so I don't have that ring effect from the side.

Forgot - I used 2 layers in each coating - base, boro cane & encasement.

Old 2006-04-08, 12:16pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Forgot the most important part - THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!!!! It's truly appreciated.

Old 2006-04-08, 5:00pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Not really my first try - I've had LOTS of mud!!! This was the first success...but, OH, so far to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort
Very Nice! Is that DAP or GA Triple Passion in those beads on the left. Regardless, you were able to get great colors on your first try. I am curious, did you get the colors after flamestriking or did you have to anneal?

Eric

Old 2006-04-10, 5:52pm
Old enough to know better

Lynn - the colors are beautiful. Looks like you're doing just fine! You might want to consider garaging above the strain point - say at 975 or so.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-10, 7:17pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

What will that do for the boro???? I thought good "seed seating" was about 850.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya
Lynn - the colors are beautiful. Looks like you're doing just fine! You might want to consider garaging above the strain point - say at 975 or so.

Old 2006-04-10, 7:33pm
borobucaneer

Most Boro starts striking at 950 up to 1250. Strain point is about 950
Old 2006-04-10, 8:01pm
Old enough to know better

Your colors won't do anything below the strain point of 950 since this is where the molecules are no longer able to move around. Your colors are striking nicely because you are annealing at a high enough temp. I like to garage around 975 or so unless I'm working with colors that I want to strike on the higher end of the scale - 1250 as Baylie points out (I admit I chicken out at 1200.) I think 850 is the strain point for 104 COE glass.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-11, 6:32am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Back to programming the digital controller!