Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2005-08-14, 10:09am
The Venerable Bead

Question need help pulling boro cane

I've been practicing pulling boro cane after watching the Doug R video like a dozen times. I can't seem to pull it evenly yet. I need some help figuring out if my hands should be turning in opposite directions like when pulling a twistie in soft glass, should they be turning in the same direction or should the holding rod hand be still and only one hand turning? HELP thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Paula AKA The Venerable Bead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2006-04-15, 8:13pm
borobucaneer

Twist in oppisite directions, at an even speed
Old 2006-04-15, 8:52pm
AKA Vanna

Hey Paula! I turn only my 10 mil rod in the flame and gently pull on the receiving rod. One thing that helps me is to turn the receiving rod about 90 degrees so that it's more like a handle. It gives me more control.

I hope this makes since, if not PM me and I will try to get someone to take a picture for ya.

Kim's Klub
. Come on, you know you wanna!!

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2006-04-15, 10:50pm
product of the universe

i twist with my left hand and pull with my right.
Old 2006-04-16, 4:08am
Serenity Now!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i twist with my left hand and pull with my right.

Me too! I kinda let the mass get loose and let it all kinda sag in the middle...this also helps so the punties don't get too hot. When I am ready to pull, I kind of tip one end up so it is angled until it sets up a bit, then pull both ends out straight. Hope this helps!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-04-16, 5:20am
Old enough to know better

I turn both hands in the same direction. Right hand on the receiving rod. When the right hand side of the glass is ready to twist and pull, I turn more slowly with my left hand and pull with my right. This sound tremendously awkward and it was when I first started. It's a lot easier now and seems to be the way I can get the most even cane - I did try doing it the same way I would for soft glass, but this just works better. I like the fact that I don't have to have the whole mass molten and then race against cooling. I only need the leading edge hot enough to pull, meanwhile the flame is preheating the next section.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-16, 6:22am

Well, it depends. On some of the canes he makes in the video he doesn't twist, so for those I turn both hands at the same speed in the same direction. For those that he does twist, I still turn both hands in the same direction, I just turn the pullling hand much faster.

Eric
Old 2006-04-16, 6:37am

i do stream stretch sometimes if im not trying to melt it in all the way, but for even size canes, i either gather and pull, or use my outerfire to heat a large section, 3-4" heated at once then pull.
ro
Old 2006-04-16, 10:08am
Serenity Now!

LOL! Paula - after reading all these different answers, d'ya feel any more enlightened??! I agree with Tanya about "only need the leading edge hot enough to pull, meanwhile the flame is preheating the next section" - if it's a really large mass of glass - otherwise you can pretty much get it all out in one shot!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here: