Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-01-25, 9:13am
SandyQ

This was my first attempt at a calla lilly bead. I think I failed horribly; however, I do want to thank everybody for their ideas, tutorials, et cetera. I am going to try again....
Old 2007-01-25, 4:32pm

Beautiful flowers everyone ... I love all the lillies!

Great tutorials too ... I hope someone gave this five stars.

Sadie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-28, 8:23pm
SandyQ

I tried some more with calla lillies....Needs some more practice... You just KNOW that hurts my feelings... (NOT) hehehe
Old 2007-01-28, 8:50pm

Actually Sandy if everyone posted their first attempts at any flower you would see that yours are similar and yes it is a matter of PPP. Keep practicing and posting. One thing you might want to watch is the heat of the flower when you are working. Once you form it then don't soak it again - just flash it or keep it higher in your flame so that it doesn't melt back together because it really just wants to be a dot.

Barb
Old 2007-02-25, 8:36am
SandyQ

This is the latest attempt... Thanks Barb for the advice... The leaves I made out of several layers of different colored glass, starting out with ivory, cobalt trans blue, ivory, sage green trans, and then like a bright green opaque (sorry, can't remember the exact color) - then pulled that into a thick stringer and placed dots and then "encouraged" them to look like leaves

Old 2007-02-26, 8:24am
StudioMarcy

Sandy, I'm seeing big improvement. Keep working on that heat control as Barb mentioned- even if you crack a few beads, it will be worth it to see how cool you can keep your beads and get the most crisp lines out of it.

Good luck,
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2007-02-26, 10:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyQ View Post
Sandy, definitely an improvement. Are you using a tool or razor at all?

If you heat up the front of the [white] part of the flower then rock your razor it will make it more defined like a lily which is one petal wrapped over itself. I like the razor when I want just a slight touch. Another way is to make the cut then lay in a slightly darker very thin stringer in the cut so it accents the petal if it melts back together. I do this using enamels but thin stringers work well or you can just lay your stringer then make the cut right on top of it.

Morning Marcy!!

Barb
Old 2007-03-03, 7:46am
SandyQ

Hi Barb and Marcy - Sorry for my delay in response. I run a daycare for 12 (gawsh) LOL... and I've been TIRED and have not been on computer much lately. To answer your question, I never used a tool/razor at all, but now that you mention it -it sure would make sense to I am going to go play some today at the torch (I deserve it!) LOL. Thanks again for your suggestions - from everybody. This has been such a fun journey!
Old 2007-07-03, 4:20am

Default Please help!

For a beadswap i tried several types of calla's, but they all tend to crack or even break. Any suggestions?

These both have cracks in the white flowerleaf, it looks as if the crack started where the tube makes contact with the leaf.

These tend to break at the point where the stamen ends. Is the leaf to long, or to thin?

Greatings,
Nathalie
Old 2007-07-03, 5:26am
StudioMarcy

Hi Nathalie,
I think they're very pretty. I have a feeling that the problem might be more in how you're keeping them warm while making them. Perhaps, not warm enough. Can you tell us a little more about your process and I bet we can figure it out. Also, what colors of glass are you using in your top tubes? Is there perhaps a different brand of clear that is less compatible with the white glass?
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2007-07-03, 5:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Hi Nathalie,
I think they're very pretty. I have a feeling that the problem might be more in how you're keeping them warm while making them. Perhaps, not warm enough. Can you tell us a little more about your process and I bet we can figure it out. Also, what colors of glass are you using in your top tubes? Is there perhaps a different brand of clear that is less compatible with the white glass?
Marcy
Hi Marcy,

thank you for your compliment and thinking with me. I work on a Volcano and am very careful in keeping my beads warm.

For the bottom two beads i make a base bead and then i melt a blob of white, which i flatten. Once flattened i reheat it to add a bit of frit, melt it in and flatten it again. Then i melt of this leaf and add it to the base bead. Then i add the stamen. After that i heat the right side of the base of the leaf to flatten it a bit and fold it over. Same with the left side. Sometimes i need to reshape the top of the leaf (pointier). Then i reheat the whole bead, let the glow go and put it into the vermiculite.

Some do survive, but more than 50% of them brake right where the stamen ends (see picture). My kiln (originally a PMC oven) doesn't take beads with their mandrel attached, so i have to batch anneal. No use with broken beads though....

The top two beads are all Moretti (pea green, white with rubino, some dark yellow / orange for the dots), could it be the rubino?

Sorry if i make mistakes in my English, but it is not my native lanquage...

Greatings,
Nathalie
Old 2007-07-06, 5:25am

Does nobody have a clue?

Nathalie
Old 2007-07-06, 5:55am
StudioMarcy

Hi Nathalie,
After reading about how you make them, it seems like all of that is a good way. I have a feeling that it is because you can't anneal them right away, which causes your breakage. You have different thicknesses in your bead which all cool at different speeds. I do a lot of sculptural work, (look at my etsy shop), and I wouldn't want to make those beads and then bet on them making it until they are annealed. Here's my one little suggestion, check the way you are cooling them to room temperature. Are you putting them in a fiber blanket or vermiculite? Do you have a warm space that you can slowly cool them in which insulates them even more? Some people here use a crock pot which is a large electric pot and put their vermiculite in it to keep it a little warmer. I suggest that you examine what you do for cooling and try to adjust that system. Sculptural beads with different thicknesses are so much trickier to cool than round beads of the same dimensions.

And by the way, your English is excellent. Feel free to contact me if you need more help. I'm not sure that I can, but I'll try. I don't alway visit the forums, but you can pm me and I'll answer as soon as possible.

Good luck and let us know about the cooling.
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2007-07-06, 6:54am

Hi Marcy,

thank you very much for your suggestion! I think your sculptural beads are great!

I used preheated vermiculite to cool down the beads, but the vermiculite cooled down faster than i expected it to. It makes sense to me that the breaking / cracking has to do with the different cooling rates of the thicker and thinner parts of the beads. Yesterday i made an other one and it cracked exactly where the thicker and thinner parts meet. I did notice that the ones who have survived until now (still have to batch anneal them), all have a shorter and thicker end of the leaf.

I looked for those crock pots in the Netherlands, but they are very expensive, gonna try a little frying pan instead. That will keep them warm! I'll let you know how i'm doing with these beads.

Greatings,
Nathalie
Old 2007-12-28, 2:20am

I'd sure like to see someone do a semi demo on this. I think I understand but I don't. ARGH But that's a beautiful bead!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Savina View Post
If your looking for round beads with calla lily designs, it's not too difficult to do. Start by encasing your stamen color rod with clear and pull. make your bead, add vines if you want, then, put your small dots where you want your lilies to be, than spot heat each, then, with a sharp razor, crease just the top, then cover each with clear, melt it, then spot heat and poke your stamen rods, encase in clear. Well, that's how I make mine. I don't do many sculptural beads. Here's a picture of one I did a while back. Have a great day!!!
J.

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2007-12-30, 10:55pm

Heres one I did quite a while back.
Attached Images

Old 2007-12-31, 7:24am
StudioMarcy

That's really pretty.
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2008-01-04, 7:36am

thanks for the wonderful tut

this is what i made and i will make more of these
but on de mandrell its voor me easyer

greatings margoke

Last edited by margoke; 2008-01-04 at 7:39am.
Old 2008-01-04, 7:53am
StudioMarcy

oh that turned out so well. And I love the leaves with it. Congratulations!
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2008-01-04, 9:08am

I wanted to thank you for this tutorial. I was able to make this over the weekend using what you said. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Savina View Post
If your looking for round beads with calla lily designs, it's not too difficult to do. Start by encasing your stamen color rod with clear and pull. make your bead, add vines if you want, then, put your small dots where you want your lilies to be, than spot heat each, then, with a sharp razor, crease just the top, then cover each with clear, melt it, then spot heat and poke your stamen rods, encase in clear. Well, that's how I make mine. I don't do many sculptural beads. Here's a picture of one I did a while back. Have a great day!!!
J.

Old 2008-01-04, 10:33am

Here's one that I did in a class with Margaret Neher ~ boro http://www.margaretneher.com/

Last edited by Crazy Woman; 2008-01-04 at 11:42am.
Old 2008-01-04, 11:29am

Hi, I do my surface callas a little differently but thought I would post in case it helps anyone.

I realized I knew how to make a calla after taking Leah Fairbanks class...She had us make heart shaped leaves by making a stinger gather and swiping up, out and down for the right side of the heart and repeating on the left side.

I took that leaf and turned it upside down (this can be awkward holding the mandrel as callas go up but you can hold the mandrel with hemostats) so the bottom of the heart shape is up. Then I spot heat the white and stab it with the yellow stringer at an angle & cut the stringer with a flame.

Everyone's callas are so pretty!! Thanks for sharing everyone!

Old 2008-01-04, 2:51pm
I speak Murrini!

Wow, beautiful additions to the thread, Rachel, Leslie and Holly! Isn't it amazing how different each artist's work comes out - all lovely, but unique! Thanks for adding...I'd love to see this thread live FOREVER!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-01-05, 7:36am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

here are some sculpted ones I did, I really Love , but cant seem to sell, lol
oh well finally a peice for myself!

~~
~~
Old 2008-01-05, 7:57am
StudioMarcy

Laurie, I bet they'd sell at Easter time. That seems to be more of the "season" for them.
They would be nice to keep too!
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2008-01-05, 8:56am
Evil Glass Enabler

I wanted to bid on those. Since I was out of play money from the Holiday Season that's the only reason I didn't bid. I also (like this any surprise to you ) prefer the purple or pink calla lilies. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
here are some sculpted ones I did, I really Love , but cant seem to sell, lol
oh well finally a peice for myself!

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2008-01-05, 12:23pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

thanks guys! xo

~~
~~
Old 2011-05-31, 4:42am

Wow! These are beautiful. I gave my daughter the middle name of Calla (tricked the dh, he thought we were pronouncing it Kay-la, but I really loved the name Calla....told him the correct way to say it when daughter turned 10...she loves the name and the story) and I am going to try to make her some following your directions. Thank you for the tips and idea.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2012-12-30, 6:46pm

Just wanted to say thanks for posting the tutorials! I like doing sculptural stuff! While still a newbie, I am learning tons and having a wonderful experience. Thanks so much!
Old 2013-01-25, 3:08pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I do these beads for families of those in my life who pass. It's a nice way to meditate on the person while making them. I also keep some in reserve. A customer told me one day that she'd lost a baby son recently. I gave her one next time I saw her (months later) and it made a difference. I don't sell them. It's just something little that can mean a lot.
Had to make too many of them lately, though

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107