Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-02-09, 6:01pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Kristen, yep, the donut spacer is just plain Iaso, isn't it beautiful? Because it hasn't been annealed I am going to drop my kiln temp by 20 degrees today & put it back in the kiln & see what happens to it, I'll be interested to see if it turns to mud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-02-10, 10:51am

Mmmmm, I'm having this problem with Arke and Iris I think. Gorgeous colors going in, mud going out. I annealed at 925. I guess I'll try lower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-02-12, 2:44am
Naysayer

^I'm at 940(checked) and mine come out fine..Iris and Arke that is.

Ok Mrs D that's the color! I hope it works for you to turn it down. But I can't even get it before it goes into the kiln, so I know it's not my kiln anyhoot. I tried again the other night and I just get (very quickly) what looks like over reduced Iris. Mine is my flame I think, but dang if I didn't try everything, I changed so many settings, a 1/4 pound worth of beads
Old 2015-02-12, 6:36am

I was excited to try this color and the results are like many of yours. I had some that the reduction stayed and some that did not. I didn't change my kiln. Why do some keep their reduction and some don't???????????????????????????????????????????? I am only guessing, but the best scenario I can come up with is that the beads I did more reduction on (spent longer time on reducing) the reduction disappeared. The beads that I spent less time reducing seemed to stay reduced. I can't prove anything yet, but that is the only thing I can come up with. Hope we can figure this out.

Old 2015-02-14, 9:58am
Life is change. Love it

Put them in last thing in your beading sessions, don't garage and start the annealing cycle immediately

Old 2015-02-14, 10:04am

Is anyone using a Hot Head with this? Just wondering because the Devardi copper luster will only work with a HH.....

Barbara
Old 2015-02-14, 10:06am
They see me rollin'...

I was wondering that too, Barbara! I don't have a hothead or I would try it.

-Patti
Old 2015-02-17, 4:29am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

OK I officially claim the title of Most Confused User of Iaso! The last lot I did didn't seem to lose their reduction in the kiln, so I did another experiment yesterday to see if I could work this glass out.

I tried turning my torch right down & using a cool reduction flame (like you would get on a HH) & I couldn't get anything but muck. In the end I turned it back up & made about 10 donut spacers which ended up from green/gold through bronze right up to magenta pink. But I have no idea how I actually got the colours, other than I turned the flame up about half way & waved it around. So far nothing as perfect bronze as the single donut that I left to cool on my desk.

So I am officially confused, I think both Iaso & the pink I get from Helios are an enigma to me.

Old 2015-02-19, 6:32am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Here are some pics of the beads I made.

Old 2015-02-19, 7:29am
Shelarious

Wow! Delicious!

Old 2015-02-20, 7:00am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Thank you Shelley .

Old 2015-02-21, 12:17pm

MrsD, Those are some killer beads!! So what temp do you anneal at and did you do anything else special? I would really like to get this color useable, as I am sure everyone in this thread would. I just reviewed the video and will work on that, too.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by phishstuff; 2015-02-21 at 12:25pm.
Old 2015-02-22, 4:17pm
Ready to hit the road

Oh, you got some NICE color out of it. I'm still trying.

Old 2015-02-22, 6:32pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Thanks Stefanie & Betsy.

Stefanie, I dropped my kiln temp to 500, it was at 518 before. Nothing else seems to have cracked or been affected, so I will probably leave it there. As for what I did, I honestly have absolutely NO idea how I managed to get the copper colours. As you can see (especially on the rounds), some of them went copper colour & some didn't but I tried to handle them all the same way. What I *can* tell you is that on my miniCC I didn't do anything even remotely like Jed's video. I turned the flame about half way up (increased the propane until the yellow candles were about 6 inches long) & waved the bead around in the end of the yellow candles.

I also have a set of donuts that I made that I haven't photographed yet, they turned out much the same as the rounds. A range of colours from green/gold right through to copper & pink. And were worked the same as them as well.

Still haven't got a clue what the secret to working this glass is!!

Old 2015-02-23, 3:49am
Naysayer

Nice colors! I tried upping the propane also thinking along the lines of what Barbara mentioned with that copper metallic from devardi but it didn't change anything. I have a nubby left I'm going to try that again with more propane mix, because I figure reducing brings out the copper in some greens or turquoises. When I was on a HH I could get copper from Leaky pen even.

In the video, that's how I work Iris and Arke, Hayley said it needs to be a different flame than other reduction glasses, so maybe ? Wish I had more, it's like a game I have to beat lol.
Old 2015-02-24, 1:34am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Ravenesque, you put Iris & Arke right up near the face of the torch & run it through the ends of the candles? I've never done that with any of my silver glass, except with an oxidizing flame of course.

Here is another set that I did the same way as the rounds, you can see that some of them went copper & someo of them wouldn't go past gold. I feel like you, I don't want it to beat me! LOL

Old 2015-04-29, 10:13am
They see me rollin'...

I had to come back to this thread and post some new results.

I tried again a couple of days ago and got some amazing color from Iaso! I used the same technique that DH showed in their video, and it worked! I made the bead (used a tube bead roller), let it cool a bit and then dipped it in a light reduction flame right in front of the candles.

One turned copper/gold, and with the rest I got some amazing rainbow colors with copper/gold mixed in. A couple of them had really intense purples.

I loved them so much I immediately put them on a cord and wore them to work, and I got lots of compliments. Often people don't even notice my beads, but they did notice these, and one lady wants me to make her some too.

Sorry about the crappy photos! I snapped a quick photo yesterday morning, then promptly dropped one and it's lost forever. Fortunately I have several rods of it left so I'm planning on making a bunch more!

I do think it helped that the bead was a simple shape. I tried to make a ribbed bead and it wasn't cooperating.

It is now my favorite glass, except maybe for Oceanos.

-Patti
Old 2015-04-29, 10:16am
They see me rollin'...

Oh, and it could be that part of my problem before was my messed-up torch flame, since my oxycon wasn't working right.

I also have a different torch now; I sold my Lynx and bought a minor burner.

-Patti
Old 2015-04-30, 5:46am
They see me rollin'...

I just looked back through this thread and noticed that people who were having success were letting the bead cool first. Duh! That had gone completely over my head!

Letting it cool enough was the key. If the bead is too warm the color disappears. If it is cool enough it immediately turns copper. The colder the bead is, the more copper. If it wasn't quite as cold I would get amazing purples and other colors.

-Patti
Old 2015-04-30, 11:20pm
Naysayer

Awesome, but I want it copper like they show, like Mrs. D's up there, the ones on the left are perfect! My mind was spinning with ideas for a copper glass.

Mrs D, sorry I didn't see that post before, I put all of my reduction glass close like that, I bounce it though. I tried to run it slower like Jed did in the video for Iaso and nothing.

I'm out of it so I'm done trying. It's weird you never really see this glass being used
Old 2015-05-01, 9:48pm
They see me rollin'...

Well, some of mine are like that, more or less. It's not a very good photo.

I've been doing more experimenting and I feel like I'm getting a better handle on it now. Letting the bead get ridiculously cold and then dipping it in the reduction flame right in front of the torch face seems to be the key.

I'll know for sure tomorrow, though!

-Patti