No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-23, 11:36am

Default How to get Aurae pink?

Hi!
I have seen such beautiful beads made with aurae and they where this yummy gold pink shimering color. I have also seen beads made with shards of aurae with this golden pink too and I love them. I have tried and tried and tried to get that color on my beads but I only get a greybluesteel metallic look. On some beads I cant se if I used triton or aurae and that is a shame I think.

I have searched for info here on Lampwork etc but have not found the answer on what I am doing wrong.

I have to mention that I am working on a hothead.

Please help.
Old 2012-10-23, 11:01pm

Never worked on a HH but if you got greyblue there's too much reduction.
Just try working in a neutral part of your flame if that's possible on a HH.
Aurae doesn't need much reduction to get a nice pinkish shimmer.
As you can see in my picture there're two layers of Aurae.
First layer: just one short wave thru a lightly reduction flame.
Sec. layer: 2 or 3 waves thru a lightly reduction flame turns out more blue.
Then encased in clear.
Hope that helps!

Elke
Old 2012-10-24, 7:35am
Rose colored glasses…√

With Aurae on the surface, you waft a relatively cool bead through a neutral flame, repeatedly, and watch the color shift with each waft until you get what you want. You can go too far and get yuck. I don't work on a hot head, but I'd guess that you can do your wafting at about midrange in the flame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-10-24, 5:00pm
What was I thinking?

I don't work on a hh either, but I've found that a quick light reduction while the bead is still fairly hot will yield nice pinky-gold for me.

Chrissi—You used "waft" 3 times in your post! I love that word! It's right up there with "woo" in my book!

Old 2012-10-24, 6:53pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedradesigns View Post
I don't work on a hh either, but I've found that a quick light reduction while the bead is still fairly hot will yield nice pinky-gold for me.

Chrissi—You used "waft" 3 times in your post! I love that word! It's right up there with "woo" in my book!

Old 2012-10-24, 10:30pm
Senior Moment

I work on a HotHead too Maqea, and want to mention the HotHead flame is ALWAYS slightly on the reduction side; can't be helped as we cannot really control the oxygen levels. So those glasses that are really sensitive to reducing can easily over-reduce, which sounds like what's happening for you.

I don't have a complete answer for you, but I suggest playing with the flame to see if you can change the flame chemistry a bit to get the results you seek. Someone once told me a higher flame on a HH actually is less reducing, as it sucks in more air. Sometimes I believe that and sometimes I don't LOL but you might want to give it a try.

HTH
Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2012-10-24, 11:38pm

Thank you for your answers. I have a few things to try now. I believe I have reduced it too much. I seal the holes of the hothead entierly so ther is very little oxygen in the flame.
I will try
1 Cool bead, slightly reduction, normal flame.
2 Hot bead, slightly reduction, normal flame.
3 Bead , slightly reduction and crank up the flame as much as possible.

Ill let you know how it goes.

I like the word waft too
Old 2012-10-25, 5:00am
Senior Moment

Keep in mind you are trying to form the bead in the least reduction flame you can get. So make the bead in the different flames, to figure out which is going to give you the most oxygen (that obviously would be the one which automatically reduces the bead the least), THEN reduce slightly.

Good luck!
Ali

Old 2012-10-25, 11:28am
Rose colored glasses…√

I'm glad everyone likes the word "waft". I kinda' do too. These beads used the "wafting method". The stringer is Aurae:

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/29428485

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-10-25, 10:29pm

I MADE IT!!! Yay!
I made the bead in as tiny flame as I could get without the torch died. I got the least reduction that way. Then I pushed my aluminumfoil hotheadcollar halfway up, barely covering the holes in the HH, and Voilà. I got the pinkgold shimmer.
Thank you so much for your help! Images will come tomorrow.
Old 2012-10-28, 6:31am

Name:  2578.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  17.4 KB

Bead 1: I made the highest flame I could and worked far away from the torch. I burned it badly. Clearly not the way to go.

Bead 2: Made the bead in medium flame and then wafted in barely covered holes on my hothead. No good, I got reduction when I made the bead and it turned bluegrey metallic when I reduced the flame. Heated the bead up again in normal flame and tried to reduce again. I wafted carefully with barely covered holes but was too careful so I did not get much reduction on the bead. It still shows that its turning blue on its way to bluegreysteel metallic.

Bead 3: Made the bead in a tiny flame. I got no reduction at all but the bead took a long time to make since the flame was so "cold". I dropped my cover for the holes on the hothead so the bead cooled a bit while I picked the cover up and then I wafted the bead and look I got the golden shine. Its spoty but its on its way.

Bead 4: Made a new bead in the tiny flame and reduced it right away in only halfway covered holes. The outcome was totaly different. First I thought I burnt the bead then I realised I reduced the bead hot and what I saw was what Elke got on her bead in this thread.

Bead 5: Now I made another bead in the tiny flame, let it cool a bit and reduced it in halfway covered holes. I wafted too much but it is a golden shimer on the bead.

Bead 6: I made a smal white base and encased with aurae in a "cool" flame. I reduced as before and look! A golden pink bead. Yay!

Bead 7: I just made a bead for fun with an old stringer and I put aurae dots on it in the same way I did the last beads. The dots turned golden pink on command.

Im so happy I learned this. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Maqea; 2012-10-28 at 6:34am.
Old 2012-10-28, 4:50pm
Senior Moment

Awesome! I love the colors on bead 6.

Alli

Old 2012-10-29, 5:57pm

I don't work on a hot head... But I find it helpful to build layers when working with silver glass. Which means I don't try to get any irrid colors until I am finished with the bead. Cool till there is no core heat - then slightly reduce. Repeat until you get desired color. This will help to keep from over reducing.

Lisa
Old 2012-10-29, 6:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locococo View Post
Never worked on a HH but if you got greyblue there's too much reduction.
Just try working in a neutral part of your flame if that's possible on a HH.
Aurae doesn't need much reduction to get a nice pinkish shimmer.
As you can see in my picture there're two layers of Aurae.
First layer: just one short wave thru a lightly reduction flame.
Sec. layer: 2 or 3 waves thru a lightly reduction flame turns out more blue.
Then encased in clear.
Hope that helps!

Elke
Love that bead!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 2012-10-30, 1:29am

These beadies are oldies but the pink ones are the aurae shimmering ones.
I do let the bead get pretty cool and flash the bead at the end of a cool reducing flame. Just look at your colour what you see developping. Pink takes a longer time to achieve.

Sonja