Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-03-30, 7:09am
Pyromaniac

Default Tubing Work Questions

So I'm really itching to try some tubing techniques. I've been playing around some already, I have Shannon Hill's inside-out video, plus a couple other little tubing projects I want to try, including the one in the current issue of Glass Line, and the one in the tutorials for boro newbies thread here.

What is the best thing to do to get my feet wet and have some relatively easy success? I can pull points (badly) already. They're somewhat off center but I figure practice will fix that. I want to make some cool stuff from my somewhat off-center points.

Another question is what tubing is best to start with? I have a few different varieties of tubing, but most of it is 22mm x 2.3 mm (I think that is the wall diameter anyhow). Is that suitable for doing inside-out projects? I've tried a couple times and it's pretty tight even flared out some... Should I try blowing it out a bit and then working it? I also have some 32 mm tubing with similar wall thickness, as well as a few other odds and ends in smaller sizes that I bought from someone who was moving on from flamework, and I'm sick of it laying around. I plan to try with an inside-out bead with the larger tubing this evening...

I look forward to your responses - Time to make something!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-03-30, 7:57am

Get Hagstrom's new video's. He has a special deal for getting both. If you do get them, email him and ask what tubing you need so you can order it before the video arrives. That way you don't have to wait like I did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-03-30, 8:03am

Yes, his video is a good start. He shows using a smaller tube for a blowpipe instead of pulling points which is much easier. I never could get my points to come out decently when I was trying to figure out tubing on my own. Also it was very helpful to see a tube implosion done as a step by step closeup. I haven't gotten the second DVD yet, but the first is well worth getting.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-03-30, 8:23am
Pyromaniac

Thank you for your kind suggestions. Sadly, money is one of the things I lack, although at present I have plenty of TIME. I was hoping to fine tune among the projects and materials I mentioned, although if someone wanted to share a technique or project I am not averse to that either.

I have a feeling that I'm getting frustrated with making inside-out beads consistently because of the small size tubing I'm working with.

Old 2009-03-30, 8:42am
ManBearPig

Points are much easier and better for anything under 40mm in my opinion. Using blow tubes, you just end up wasting a lot of glass and time.

I make the majority of my inside-out beads from 22mm tubing. 32 would be way too big.

If you don't mind a little self-promotion, my inside-out tutorial shows pulling points and making inside-out beads on 22mm tubing - http://cosmoglassworks.com/store/pro...age=1&featured

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-03-30, 8:45am

The 22mm should be good since Hagstrom is using one inch (25mm) for his pendants. I don't remember seeing any big tubing used for inside out stuff on the other videos I have either. You might try searching youtude for some videos on inside out beads. Also check out the pipe makers videos since they use inside out a lot and I don't think they use over an inch for the smaller pipes.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-03-30, 8:52am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
The 22mm should be good since Hagstrom is using one inch (25mm) for his pendants. I don't remember seeing any big tubing used for inside out stuff on the other videos I have either. You might try searching youtude for some videos on inside out beads. Also check out the pipe makers videos since they use inside out a lot and I don't think they use over an inch for the smaller pipes.
I use 44mm for small pipes...

Old 2009-03-30, 8:53am
old fart

here is a link to a thread i posted a while ago on WC. it may help to get started.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...ng+glass+minor

Old 2009-03-30, 9:03am

Chris...dont take this the wrong way..but..nothing cool has ever been made with an off center point!

Unless your making goblets or large scale blown pieces...not head pieces..but vessels

You waste glass pulling points..Period

think about what you are doing when you pull a point.....

Well the first step is to get a big section of you tubing hot..(wastfull)..with glass and oxy and fuell

Second you stretch the tubing...

Third you have to readjust your point that didnt come out on center.

Fourth you have to open your point. Hope you dont cut yourself!

Fifth you have to flame polish your jagged mouth piece....

WOW THAT SUCKED!!!!

1. Open a blowtube..5 seconds or less 2. weld to bigger tube.15 seconds 3. flame cut..15 seconds 4 Go

32 mm to big...nothings to big!...the more you cram inside the better..just make sure its a thinner wall

bigger tube =more room for art.

Bettcha I could make four blanks in the time someone could pull 2 points....and with blowtubes they come out on center the first time...everytime.

blow tubes are not wasteful in any way....oh and they dont break and cut you

Get Your New Hagstrom Art Glass Videos on my website and Etsy now!!!

Last edited by hagstromartglass; 2009-03-30 at 9:13am.
Old 2009-03-30, 9:09am
No Problem!

In many cases you can make whatever you like with what you've got. It just might be a little bit more work and the result will be different. I make some inside-out styles with 20mm medium wall tube. You can just use a longer point, then heat evenly to blow just about round before you flare it out.
3/4" to 1" with some 12mm for coil-potting and handles is a good start. Heavy wall is good though I like to use medium wall for some projects as it's faster to heat.
There are a ton of different ways to go about it but getting things turning on center and keeping them that way is always going to make the process go smoother.
Take your time and start simple. Adding the color in small amounts and an even symmetrical pattern at first will make it easier to deal with because the color is generally stiffer than the clear and will affect the way you need to heat the glass.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-03-30, 9:18am
ManBearPig

The problem I've run into seeing people using blow tubes is they have a tough time getting a good seal between the blow tube and the larger tube. Once you get the hang of it, either will work. But, I've noticed that people just starting out pick up on pulling points much quicker and easier than using blow tubes.

Of course, I learned by pulling points, so I may be biased. If you learn from the start with blow tubes and that's what you're taught, it may be different. Both work, but for me for anything small I stick with points.

Old 2009-03-30, 9:25am

no Im right ...lol...just kidding...the old points - blow tube argument...it will never die!

But if the students couldnt get good results with blowtubes..they were not doing it the way I do mine....its so easy..even a cave man could do it!

Old 2009-03-30, 9:28am
No Problem!

Hagstrom LOL, don't like points do ya?
Might have to have a race..
I'm partial to points in most cases but blowtubes have their place and I use them also.
Delicate blown pieces are easier to control and you have the option to close/open either end on the fly. Blowtubes are great for big chunky things that would stress the heat or weight capacity of a point handle..

Generally points win out for me...how I learned also. I end up using the spent handles for punties, plucking/opening holes and things that I would other wise be using my small diameter rod for so they get recylcled in a way.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-03-30, 9:29am

good thread, great info

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2009-03-30, 9:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Points are much easier and better for anything under 40mm in my opinion. Using blow tubes, you just end up wasting a lot of glass and time.]
??? you think so ???

I use blowtubes for 99% of my tubing work (32mm and 38mm med wall is my staple tubing size in my shop). My opinion is that using blowtubes doesn't waste as much glass as pulling points. I can use pretty much the entire length of clear tube, where if i were to pull points, id waste probably 1/4 of the full length of tubing by pulling points (such a waste of material for the type of work i do). Pulling points is a tech that every single lampworker should know how to do. But in the reality of things, use what works well for you. i use blowtubes over pulled points.

Using blowtubes for me = straight points, stronger points that dont break, less wasted clear tubing. just my opinion

And remember that there are a lot of glass workers out there that work differently from one another. We all use different methods to get to the finished product. Don't just stick to one persons method, try out a few different methods and find what works well for you. And if you can afford it, take a lesson or two from a glassblower or two. Watching, talking, and interacting in real life will make the learning process that much faster.

-josh

Ebay Auctions
Old 2009-03-30, 9:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagstromartglass View Post
the old points - blow tube argument...it will never die!
true...very true....LOLOLOL

Ebay Auctions
Old 2009-03-30, 9:39am

What he said

Old 2009-03-30, 9:40am

Hey... Josh you should post some pics sometime if you have a minute...we need some eyecandy up in here!

Old 2009-03-30, 9:45am

Chris..try getting yourself some 12.5 med or heavy wall...you can make some cool beads using that blowtube material as a base for your bead...thats what I use all my smaller blowtubes for after they whittle down in size.....just decorate a section of it ...and blow into a bead...those are really easy...and fun...

Old 2009-03-30, 9:50am

heres a uv reticello flower.

Ebay Auctions
Old 2009-03-30, 9:51am

yeah Bwoiiiiiii

Old 2009-03-30, 10:17am
No Problem!

I wonder what the stats on time and wasted glass really would boil down to with tubes vs. points..
Harder to figure with blowtubes but I know there is some waste because that blowtube just gets shorter and shorter...
At any rate there is a point (hmm no pun intended) where the blowtube starts to affect the control so maybe a little wasted glass is the price paid in order to have more subtle dexterity when working a small blown item. Doesn't apply so much to a larger blown piece.
Larger rod/tube turns the glass being worked more per degree than smaller rod/tube. Eg. the smaller the rod/tube the smaller the increments of a turn are = more precision in movement.
I'm not arguing over which is better, but mediating between them. They both have their strengths to offer.

That's a beauty Josh!

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-03-30, 10:20am

Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sableglass View Post
heres a uv reticello flower.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-03-30, 10:24am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sableglass View Post
??? you think so ???

I use blowtubes for 99% of my tubing work (32mm and 38mm med wall is my staple tubing size in my shop). My opinion is that using blowtubes doesn't waste as much glass as pulling points. I can use pretty much the entire length of clear tube, where if i were to pull points, id waste probably 1/4 of the full length of tubing by pulling points (such a waste of material for the type of work i do). Pulling points is a tech that every single lampworker should know how to do. But in the reality of things, use what works well for you. i use blowtubes over pulled points.

Using blowtubes for me = straight points, stronger points that dont break, less wasted clear tubing. just my opinion

And remember that there are a lot of glass workers out there that work differently from one another. We all use different methods to get to the finished product. Don't just stick to one persons method, try out a few different methods and find what works well for you. And if you can afford it, take a lesson or two from a glassblower or two. Watching, talking, and interacting in real life will make the learning process that much faster.

-josh
I've pulled so many points that I can pretty much pull them in my sleep. I haven't had one break on me in years. I do get a crooked one from time to time, but it only takes a couple seconds of heating the shoulder to straighten it. I use tubes on larger work where the sheer weight of the piece may be too much for a point to withstand, but if that's not the case, I just use points.

But, that's just me...

Old 2009-03-30, 10:52am
Pyromaniac

Wow this thread exploded! Thanks for all the input! You guys with the tutorials open for barter? In all seriousness, the tuts are on my list already, but I'm not spending money until business in my day job picks back up, or I can pay my mortgage with lampwork....

Old 2009-03-30, 10:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingBeau View Post

That's a beauty Josh!
thanks

Ebay Auctions
Old 2009-03-30, 1:20pm

Beau...I dont waste any blowtube material...when they get shorter I use them to encase opals..then I make beads out of the really short pieces...no waste.

Old 2009-03-30, 1:35pm

Hey Josh, I think it's time for a Tute, don't you? You pick the subject, we'll eat it up. Love your work!

Old 2009-03-30, 3:14pm

What do yo want to make with the Tubes? Pendants, marbles, beads, pipes? I would say pendants are the easiest and best place to start. Try some implosions on the end of tube. Then maybe a honeycomb pendant by blowing a thin bubble, fuming, laying dot pattern and then condense, back and disk flip.

Then maybe try inside out work. Make sure you remember to block the hole at end of blow tube where your mouth would go when your pointing a flame into your cup. If you block the hole it will prevent heat from traveling up your handle and also stop condensation from building up...VERY IMPORTANT!.
Old 2009-03-30, 4:05pm
No Problem!

Fair enough Stephan...wanna buy my bucket of point handles so they don't go to waste?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagstromartglass View Post
Beau...I dont waste any blowtube material...when they get shorter I use them to encase opals..then I make beads out of the really short pieces...no waste.

(Beau & Shani)