LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-08, 6:26pm

Default How do you get hubby out of your glass?

That's it, it's all over --- hubby has discovered lampworking and is hooked. Now I have to take turns with my torch! I know, I know, get him his own...but how do you keep him out of your glass

He's actually quite good, his second bead wasn't very wonky at all with a straight stripe too --- mine are still funky
Old 2006-04-08, 7:04pm
sunscreen me baby

Why get him out? Before you know it he will be buying up odd lots because he couldn't resist. Imagine together time at the torch instead of watching him flip channels? I think I might like it. Oh wait, unless he insists on playing music you hate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-08, 9:25pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Ah yes there will be none of this "you spent how many $ on that and they are just silly rods of glass!" instead you will get "oh my god you got some of the last of the Tequilla coral at x amount of dollars what a fantastic deal! "No more worries about getting busted spending huge amounts of money on glass and tools!
Old 2006-04-08, 9:43pm
PyronamixK

Be glad, be very glad. Take it from me, sharing the torch is just a little inconvenience you can learn to live with when you consider all the benefits that come with a spouse who enjoys lampworking. Just think of the tools he could make for you! Men are generally good at that. Just having someone who truly appreciates what you do - knows what it takes to do it - is fantastic!
Old 2006-04-08, 10:04pm
Entropy increasing....

You know, I was scanning by this and I saw "How to keep your hubby out of your dress".

You'll just have to get another torch. That's my plan.
Old 2006-04-08, 11:00pm
Goddess

I'd be thrilled if my husband showed an interest. I can't even get him to TRY it.

Old 2006-04-09, 12:34am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
You know, I was scanning by this and I saw "How to keep your hubby out of your dress".

You'll just have to get another torch. That's my plan.
Don't count on that working. I think there's something about using your torch that makes it so alluring to them.
Old 2006-04-09, 1:06am
Entropy increasing....

Yeah, but at least you don't have to explain why you really really need to get a lb. of some odd lot glass that costs an arm and a leg.

My husband started before me, so technically I took his torch away. lol
Old 2006-04-09, 1:06am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Well, John spent a good portion of the week cleaning up the studio. I sure leave carnage in my wake. LOL! He put away zillions of pounds of glass, cleaned the bench... And he admitted that it wasn't purely selfless: He wants to torch. Boro. And he had to tidy up before that would be possible.

I'm kind of funny about having someone... ANYONE... messing with my stuff. Even if it's the love of my life There's something about the studio that is so personal. I'd rather let someone dig through my underwear drawer than dig through my glass.

Sharing a love of working glass is a very wonderful thing! Count your blessings, and make sure he has the URL for all the glass suppliers out there. LOL!

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2006-04-09, 1:11am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
Well, John spent a good portion of the week cleaning up the studio. I sure leave carnage in my wake. LOL! He put away zillions of pounds of glass, cleaned the bench... And he admitted that it wasn't purely selfless: He wants to torch. Boro. And he had to tidy up before that would be possible.

I'm kind of funny about having someone... ANYONE... messing with my stuff. Even if it's the love of my life There's something about the studio that is so personal. I'd rather let someone dig through my underwear drawer than dig through my glass.

Sharing a love of working glass is a very wonderful thing! Count your blessings, and make sure he has the URL for all the glass suppliers out there. LOL!
Sharing the love of anything with your mate is wonderful. For us it's glass, for others it's - I don't know - fly fishing.

Antonio said in our new shop we will have separate benches and torches. He believes that he puts things away after himself and that I don't.
Old 2006-04-09, 4:20am

Get him a big boy torch and boro.

Barb
Old 2006-04-09, 5:15am

Oh I'm thrilled that he likes the lampworking, but we have two different personality styles in several ways (a case of opposites attracting I guess). He's a packrat - that could be either bad or good with glass, and I'm a let's use it kinda gal; he's conservative with $, I want to buy what I want; and most significant, he can work in a messy environment, but like Tink's guy, I have to have everything cleaned up and just so in order to work - a place for everything and everything in its place.

As for tools, yeah, he loves to make new things and is good at working with metal - he welds and makes chainmaille & armor for our reenactment hobby. He is also a firefighter, so I know the "shop" will have everything safely installed.

Last edited by eklecticmoose; 2006-04-09 at 9:09am.
Old 2006-04-09, 5:27am

That's something I'll never have to worry about! One time when he was home I needed someone to help me pull a big cane and he was so nervous! 'Is the steel hot? Do I need a glove?' 'Stop pulling so hard!' 'Wait, wait, wait! It's drooping!' Nope. No worries thank goodness!

Old 2006-04-09, 5:33am
Old enough to know better

My DH couldn't be less interested, except to try and find out how much I've been spending. When I get anything, I have to pray I can get the box back in my studio (a total disaster area) before he sees them. And heaven help me if I accidentally leave an invoice around - he's an invoice magnet. It would be kind of nice if he were interested, especially if he would clean up the studio, except when he cleans up he throws out anything he doesn't recognize. This can be a real problem.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-09, 6:27am
Where's the coffee?

My hubby took my first lampwork class with me. He liked it but never took the time to practice. Now that I am what he considers "really good", LOL, he doesn't want to "waste my glass." I wish I could coax him into giving it another try, as I think he could be awesome if he would just do it.

Old 2006-04-10, 4:23am
More glass...more glass..

Ha! Same here except the roles are reversed! I'm the husband doing the lampworking while my wife said she wanted to go to Hobby Lobby to buy the expensive $15 pack of glass so she could practice making beads. I told her it was too expensive there and just use whatever she wanted....she wouldn't be able to use too much anyways. In retrospect, maybe I should have just let her get the Hobby Lobby pack since she hasn't been back.

On the other hand, the last time she was there, she said my workstation was too uncomfortable and she needed a place to rest her elbows. She told me to buy a Creation Station....

edz
Old 2006-04-10, 4:47am
Puddy Cat Lover

Believe it or not, Chuck and I took our first lampworking class together. He liked it but not enough to go nuts like I did. I ask him all the time, "Honey why don't you make a bead?", but he doesn't have too much interest in anything but wood, tools, sandcarving, etching, and, oh yeah, the AH sucks website, and me. HeeHee.
I guess if he wanted to move me aside to make beads, I would have to use his chop saw or table saw (which he never let's me touch) and make something outta wood from his hardwood pile. That would put an end us sharing torch time and "MY" glass rods.
J.

Old 2006-04-10, 8:46am

Go together buy him a tourch , let him pick out some glass and let him know you dont want him to use your glass. Or buy enough that you dont have to worry about it. Making beads together can be fun.
Old 2006-04-10, 1:10pm

Default Doesn't get any better!

My husband and I both do lampworking. We took out first class together! We even got his mother hooked on lampworking.
When we went on our honeymoon last year we went all over Europe looking for glass studios and glass factories!
It really is a great deal! You should try to enlist more of your family into the glass world. I get great Birthday gifts!!! No problem shopping for me.
Tasha

Hot beads from the cold North!
Old 2006-04-10, 3:57pm

Talking Can of Worms Opened!

Funny you should post that Tasha...now my oldest has gotten into the act. Doesn't like beads per se, but enjoys melting the glass and creating the bead. Looks like we'll be getting LOTS of glass now.

Also too funny, hubby is already planning the "studio." We have a 12' x 20' back room in the garage where he keeps his weights, which is now going to be converted to torching/glass room - his suggestion...