Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-17, 5:41am

Default Silver Glass

Which is the easiest silver glass to strike? I have bought Olympia Rain and Kronos and have had no success, so I really want to get some "easy" silver glass. Any suggestions??
Carmen
Old 2008-05-17, 5:47am
Lover of all things color

Carmen, do you mean strike or reduce. I'm fairly new but thought that Kronos, like Olympia Rain need to be reduced. I find that Gia reduces fairly easily, I was even able to reduce it with my hot head. Now that I have a Lynx I have a much eaiser time. But Gia would be my vote for the easiest. The hardest for me was Luna, I can't get it do to anything.
Striking, I think, is more getting the color to change in a neutral flame as opposed to reducing which happens in the oxygen rich flame.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-05-17, 5:50am
Gimme that silver glass!

Kronos is actually quite an easy reducing glass. Try some Psyche and Nyx as well, they reduce easily.

If you are looking for striking glass, try Luna2 or Khaos. Keep in mind that striking glass is a bit more difficult than reducing glass .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-05-17, 5:51am

You are right, strike is not the right word, I should have rather asked which was the easiest to get "color" from?
Old 2008-05-17, 5:53am
Gimme that silver glass!

What color and which "look" are you looking for Carmen?

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-05-17, 5:57am

I love the look of Luna 2.
Old 2008-05-17, 6:15am

Do you use Kronos on its own and if not which glass does it work well with?
Old 2008-05-17, 6:16am
Gimme that silver glass!

It's both possible. For example, I don't know if you have any Kronos frit? But it reacts nicely with cobalt blue. Just try and experiment. Give one rod up purely for experimenting .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-05-17, 6:33am

I have a Kronos rod and I can sure make frit....LOL I'll have to try that

thanks Anouk,

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-05-17, 8:43am
da General

Carmen, do you have Kronos 1 or Kronos 2 . . . the second version is easier to reduce than the first (so are Aion 2 and Elektra 2).

As for getting color for Luna 2, what kind of torch set up do you have? The trick is to heat the glass till it's soft, almost droopy, then cool, then strike. Here is a quick step by step I wrote for my silver exchange:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...27&postcount=4

Also try putting a clear core, then encase it completely with Luna2 - I get the prettiest colors that way.

Hope this helps. Perhaps you want to join my silver exchange? We share tips, shows our beads - success of failure, and help each other learn and also have fun at the same time!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-05-17, 11:04am

I have a Lynx with an m10 oxy con. I'll try what you suggest. thanks,

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-05-17, 6:39pm

Gaia and Nyx are the easiest. I think Luna 2 is pretty, but very difficult to strike.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-05-17, 7:32pm
Glass-aholic

Psyche is awesome! especially encased.
Kronos I thought I did not like until I took some advice and made a bead and then just encased it, i did nothing to it, it was really kewl!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-05-18, 12:22am

I have Kronos 1 and I am on a mini CC propane and tanked oxygen. Thanks for the tips Hayley.

Last edited by Carmen Isaacs; 2008-05-18 at 12:41am.
Old 2008-05-18, 7:25am

What am I doing wrong with my Psyche? I see beautiful reduction at the torch, but it's gone when I take it out of the kiln.
I haven't had this problem with any other DH reducing glass.
Or sometimes, one bead in the kiln stays reduced, but the others all go back to plain dark purple.

Oops, sorry if this is off-topic, I've looked at so many threads trying to find my answer that I forgot the original question.
Shanna

Last edited by shiny things; 2008-05-18 at 7:33am.
Old 2008-05-18, 10:57pm
Glass-aholic

your kiln is either too hot, or needs some activated Charcol to create more of a reduction atmosphere. There are a few threads about kiln atmosphere here somewhere... I can't remember what else you can use.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: