LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-15, 10:17am
I speak Murrini!

Talking Skull Stamp User Tips, Advice and Discussion!

SHALL WE START?

OK everyone! I believe all of you who have ordered my Skull Stamp recently have received it by now, right? And I know it's NOT one of those "badda-boom, badda-bang" type tools; rather, it takes some practice and patience to get to know it, and figure out the many things it can do.

So............

At the urging of some of you, I decided maybe a dedicated thread to open the floor to discussion of tips, techniques and advice from everyone would be great!

I have done some work with this tool, but mostly just simple stamping. I have found that making pendants in transparent colors are pretty interesting all by themselves!

Also, stamping and then lightly etching just the Skull image gives a really neat effect!

I'd did some experiments stamping into some of the 104 Silver Glasses as well as plain opaque colors and some of the effects were really promising! Mind you, these were just quickie stamping experiments, and using my good old Hot Head! In a few of these examples, I made a base bead of black, thinly encased it in opaque or Silver Glass, then used the stamp to make an impression:

I really am not set up to do the fancier "fuming" that I've seen work so effectively, but I did find this neat YouTube Vid from a guy named "beadmanglass" (special thanks to you, bead man, wherever you are! ) and although his stamp leaves an "outtie" impression and mine leaves an "innie", you may find it very helpful and idea-provoking! Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeZSgE5QJuM

I acquiesce to you all now and hope those who have had especially good success will considering coming in and posting advice, guidance and support. I will ask also that everyone remain respectful of one another and if there are secrets some would prefer not to share, we respect their rights as artists as well - so no pressure or bashing here, ok?

All right-ee! Who's next?

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2012-06-23 at 3:35pm.
Old 2012-06-23, 3:33pm
I speak Murrini!

This thread is officially OPEN!!!

Old 2012-06-23, 4:56pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Subbed, thank you for starting this De, those beads are awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-23, 9:17pm

Do not have the stamp, but have to say how cool!

thanks for sharing
Old 2012-06-24, 9:55am

Don't have the stamp either but the results look great.
Old 2012-06-25, 4:11am

i'm really watching this for the advice on how to use the stamp in an implosion scenario. I tried it first with 104 and ended up just flattening the glass.

I know there are several out there who do this. Can you find some time to proffer some great advice???

Thanks!!
Dweezil
Old 2012-07-11, 7:38pm
critter creator

Whooeeee, I really dropped the ball on replying in here, sorry De!

I mostly got my stamp from De for its good looks - such a beautiful skull on the end of it, there

But what I did was to stamp the impression in clear glass and back it (fill it) with color, so the skull protuded into the clear. I've also seen good results some other folks have gotten with fuming the impression before filling, but I can't speak to this as I'm miserable at fuming. I found it was very important to wax the stamp before pressing it in glass, as the eye sockets tended to catch the glass otherwise.

Here are a couple spiders I did with it:

You can see in the second one that the skull is back in there a bit. The clear optics really make the skull much more 3D and "alive", if you will. I also made some beetles with the skull stretched out more, those were interesting but I can't find the photos I took

Dweezil - regarding flattening the glass, it's important to have a decent mass of glass and let it cool/harden a fair amount and then really "spot" heat the area where you want to impress. Then jam the (waxed) skull in there, holding in place until the glass hardens again. The gently wiggle it loose. After which, make a gather of whatever opaque color you want and fill it in. You can see I trapped some air bubbles in the one - that can be tricky.

As for waxing the stamp, I gently warmed the face of the skull in my flame and then lightly pressed it into the side of a beeswax candle I have in my studio. I don't know why beeswax is so important, but that's what all of the furnace glass workers use. Plus it smells good I got mine at a farmers market in Montana (where I used to live), but you should be able to find beeswax chunks at a craft store, or certainly from your local beekeepers.

At some point I'll remember to take some pictures of me using it, but that may be a while as I'm working on filling a couple orders right now.

If anyone has some specific questions on technique regarding the stamp, I'd be happy to answer your question. Just reply here, I've turned on notification, so it'll let me know there's a new post.

In conclusion, I really have to say I love this stamp De! It mostly sits on my workbench right where I can look at it, but I've made a number of fun and playful pieces with it, which some collectors were excited to snap up as the skulls tie in nicely/weirdly with insects, I don't know how to put it

Best Regards,
Wes.

Old 2012-07-13, 1:29am

OMG WES!!!

Did you put this in the gallery?

Great stamp, De...in your Etsy shop?

Old 2012-07-13, 1:37am
Dakine glass man

Where can I purchase one?

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2012-07-13, 7:02am
critter creator

Patti - thanks I made these in the fall, so if I did post them, they're wayback... I need to make some more someday!

As for where to get one, I think De keeps selling out of them - no wonder, huh?!? They're badass even as just a trinket, but a great tool too! Here are photos from (the SOLD section of) her Etsy store:

Old 2012-07-14, 3:48am

Oh wow, it's like a full-on skull dude. Love it!

Old 2012-07-14, 12:29pm
I speak Murrini!

Many thanks to Wes for generously sharing his tips with us!

@Wes...I understand entirely how "life" keeps us so dang busy!!! I've not touched my torch in nearly 2 months (long, whiny story...so I'll spare everyone !) but I'm so thankful to you for popping in here and helping out!

@Everyone...please feel free to post here anything you may find helpful or, of course, if you discovery a "Definitely DON'T..." you feel worthy of posting as well.

Happy weekend all!
De

Old 2012-09-23, 2:35pm
I speak Murrini!

Sending another few rounds of stamps, so if anyone has some tips they can offer, it would be sincerely appreciated! Also, please feel free to post your pictures, ok? We have many of you who have made fabulous goodies with these - so don't be afraid to show 'em!!!

Old 2012-09-23, 4:51pm
critter creator

Ack!!! I just made another skullback spider a couple weeks ago and totally forgot to photo usage Sorry! Next time...
Old 2012-09-23, 7:00pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Deeeeeeee, I WANT one and you don't have anyyyyyyyyyy. (*I* am NOT above a little whining...)

L-111

Old 2012-09-23, 8:43pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
Deeeeeeee, I WANT one and you don't have anyyyyyyyyyy. (*I* am NOT above a little whining...)
Shoot me a PM! At this moment, I'm anticipating another 12 by mid-October, and only 1 of them so far is spoken for...

Old 2012-09-23, 8:45pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Master View Post
Ack!!! I just made another skullback spider a couple weeks ago and totally forgot to photo usage Sorry! Next time...
Aw, no worries Wes! You've already been very generous with your help here....

Of course I wish I was there watching you use it and snapping away with the photos! (On a personal note, hope your class when awesomely this weekend! )

Old 2012-09-24, 3:36pm

I'm in the next round and I can't wait! I'm a novice, so I won't be able to do anything much- but i'll try to post pics. Hopefully with more and more stamps out there we can see what people do!

I'm having so much fun melting glass that I have actually started wearing jewelry!

Old 2012-09-24, 7:08pm

sweettt! I'll take one of those stamps! Just lemme know when to pay up thanks!
Old 2012-09-24, 11:57pm
I speak Murrini!

Hey Fusion, feel free to shoot me a PM so I can give you the scoop and add you to the list, ok? I have a dedicated thread for the sale of these in "Auctions, Self-Promo..." Section Thanks!

Old 2012-10-30, 6:53pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Here's my first attempts - not too bad for something so totally foreign to me. The next ones should be MUCH better! (For the record, ivory wasn't a great choice, I think white would show up way better.)

L-111

Old 2012-10-30, 8:05pm
I speak Murrini!

OMG, Pat! Those are awesome!!! Thanks so much for showing them...I'm glad you're liking my little Skull Stamp - and clearly it's liking you back! Are these done in 104?

Hugs,
De

Old 2012-10-31, 2:57pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

DeAnne - I'm another HotHead user, so I stick strictly to 104, other than for frits. I had another bead that I liked the BEAD better, but I mucked up the skull; I'm going to try and remake that one next time I get to the torch. I really want to try some of the simple stamped ones, too.

L-111

Old 2012-11-01, 8:47am

Woot

I got my stamp from De in the mail this week!! This stamp is awesome! Great construction and the detail is beautiful. I tried a couple of things with it but the on the second attempt i had the cold joint come of the marble and I instinctively tried catching it with my hand!!.... luckily it was only for a split second, then dropped it on the garage floor...NOTE TO SELF!! *DON'T CATCH HOT GLASS WITH BARE HANDS....* I'll give it another shot tomorrow and post results. I'd like to say a special "THANK YOU" to De for being such a pleasure to deal with. Anyone who's thinking about dealing with her can do so with confidence. I know she's busy with work and her Murrini but will always take the time to answer any questions or concerns. Thanks again De!

Aaron
Old 2012-11-01, 9:04am
I speak Murrini!

Aw, thanks so much Aaron! (And, errr, sorry about the "catch the hot, flying marble" thing! Gul! Hope you're ok!)

Old 2012-11-01, 4:31pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I never try to catch flying glass... but I have been known to try and press down the protruding end of a broken stringer with a fingertip.

Sadly, I've done this more than once.

L-111

Old 2012-11-07, 9:40pm

Default Skull Stamp

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89804841@N02/?saved=1

Haven't figured out how to just upload the pics but here's a couple.

Aaron

Last edited by fusionboy69; 2012-11-08 at 1:19pm. Reason: Pic Added
Old 2012-11-08, 9:17am
I speak Murrini!

Pat - you silly! I find myself doing similar things, though By the time my mind says "wait!", my body is usually saying "oops!" or "ouch!"

Aaron - thanks so much for posting and also for starting the thread in Gallery!
Hope more peeps will post there work in the thread...I LOVE seeing what everyone is doing!

Hugs!
De

Old 2012-11-08, 1:22pm

No Problem I'd like to see other ppls work too. DOH! The pic I added is pretty damn big.... I've got some other ideas I'd like to try with the stamp also, I hope the wifey lets me play tonight so I can try them out. Anyone know where I can get some Bees Wax that Wes was talking about? Thanks!

Last edited by fusionboy69; 2012-11-08 at 1:27pm. Reason: Just cause :-P
Old 2012-11-20, 10:30pm
I speak Murrini!

Hey O! Aaron, sorry it took so long to get back over here...but I just purchased some pure, chemical-free 1 oz. "wafers" of bees wax from a bee keeper! I have purchased just 10, which is enough to send one with each of the remaining stamps I have and still have a few extra! If you've not found bees wax yet, shoot me a PM and I'll get you one! They are scheduled to be delivered to me by 11/28/12.

De