No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-06, 12:33am

Default I have 700.00 to spend on a kiln help

I get order a kiln at the end of the month! Woo Hoo

I have 700.00 to spend. I want one that is digital (no babysitting), one that I can fuse as well as anneal...it must have a bead door.

any recommendations

Fast and reasonable delivery a MUST!!
Old 2010-01-06, 12:41am
Southeast Alaskan Artist

I was looking at this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Glass-Fusing-Bea...item5d2768bad7

I can't speak for its quality as I have not yet decided myself but it fits your price range and requirements (bead door, Digital Programmable PID)
Old 2010-01-06, 1:00am

This is the one I have and I really like it the only thing is that the bead door is smaller than I would have liked. If you don't mind making a few beads and moving them over and stacking them it is not bad. I have heard that the glass hive kilns are awesome and you can do some fusing in them but only pendant type things as they are a longer kiln but the jen-ken kiln you can easy do a plate in it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-06, 1:42am
Just Me

Be sure to look at glass hive! Mike is the best and the kiln is great too! The customer service is so good its incredible. Highly recomended!!!!

Remember it's already tomorrow in Australia!
Old 2010-01-06, 4:42am
boro color bender

Glass Hive... hands down the best kilns around... look in the Sale Rack room... Mike will be there after the sale if you should ever need him...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-01-06, 4:52am
Unmedicated since '62

can mikes kilns fuse?

i have a bluebird xl that was about that price - i love it, but i've heard really good things about the glass hive kilns and mike was really helpful when i was looking, in the end it came down to availability

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-01-06, 5:48am

Take a look at the Arrow Springs kilns.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-01-06, 6:31am
Life is change. Love it

I love my JenKen, and have had excellent customer service. I have also heard great things about Mike's kilns

Old 2010-01-06, 6:33am
In search of her path....

I love the glasshive kiln I have. The programming is a lil tricky but follow the directions and keep the on hand and you will be fine.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-01-06, 6:55am

Check out the Skutt GM10. It has a bead door, is programmable and goes up to 1800 degrees. Also runs on 110V/15A (regular house current). I've had one for about 6 years - good kiln.

Robert
Old 2010-01-06, 6:59am
Did someone say SALE?

It might be a little more expensive, but the Scutt GM10F with the optional bead door added has served me very well. I have never had any issue with it at all. The bead door is relatively narrow, but I stack the beads after they reach kiln temp with no trouble. You can do smaller fusing projects in it also. The interior is 9"x 9". I like that it comes with the digital controller attached, and it has its own built-in stand.
Old 2010-01-06, 6:59am
Did someone say SALE?

Ha! Robert, great minds think alike! lol
Old 2010-01-06, 7:46am
Will work for glass...

I have the one posted in the link above. I don't have anything to compare it to, cause it was my first one, but it's still going strong! I love it...the digital controller is the best part, so if you find another kiln with the same controller I highly recommend that...I think they're pretty standard on kilns that advertise digital pyrometers. The bead door is a little small, but it's fine for fusing small projects. Can't use it for anything real big though. Even small plates won't fit in there. But for a beadmaker who wants to try his/her hand at fusing it's a great kiln for the price.
Old 2010-01-06, 8:40am
And silence is golden

Mike Crowley - Glasshive. He's got the best customer service. I have a kiln by another manufacturer where I can't seem to find a customer service department when I have a question. Mike has come through for me on more than one occasion which assistance. That says a lot about a man who offers service to someone who doesn't own one of his kilns.

Buy from him and you won't regret it.
Old 2010-01-06, 8:44am
Tacki

I have a Paragon caldera w/ a bead door... fits all of your specifications It's a great kiln.
Old 2010-01-06, 9:59am
Likes to melt stuff...

I have a kenjen kiln with bead door that has never given me a problem in the 2 years I've owned it. I think I paid about $500 for it off ebay.
Old 2010-01-06, 10:44am
da General

It depends on the size of the pieces you want to fuse.

You can't beat a glasshive kiln from Mike Crowley but its interioir only 6.5" deep. Mike provides the best customer service and his kilns are excellent. . . and they are $100 off!

http://theglasshive.com/BEAD%20ANNEALLERS.html

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-06, 12:04pm

I have worked with the Glasshive kilns.The biggest problem I have found if your making marbles is its to hard to set the marbles in because the doors are so small. I have to Paragons and I think they are great. If you have a problem they are there also. DanG
Old 2010-01-06, 6:46pm
And silence is golden

Perhaps Mike might be willing to customize a special interior size for you.
Old 2010-01-06, 7:11pm

The only problem that I have found about fusing in the shorter annealing kilns is that the heat can be uneven over the whole fusing area. This is probably because the elements are close to the surface. We do a lot of fusing, in a larger kiln, and got the Bluebird xl for annealing and for test fusing before doing larger batches of fusing. While it does work I have found that you can put 20 of the same pieces in the bluebird, and you get about 3 or 4 different degrees of fusing....Love it for annealing, but for fusing and annealing I would suggest a kiln with more height than the annealing kilns ...ie more distance between the elements and the fusing surface.
Old 2010-01-06, 7:28pm

Thanks everyone! I have looked at Mikes kilns for a few months now..I am counting the days till I can order one!

I will look at all of the ones you have suggested.
Old 2010-01-06, 7:57pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergypsy View Post
Be sure to look at glass hive! Mike is the best and the kiln is great too! The customer service is so good its incredible. Highly recomended!!!!
This is where I would go if I had the $$$ for a second kiln.
Old 2010-01-07, 11:13pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Perhaps Mike might be willing to customize a special interior size for you.
Mike can do that.

Thanks you guys.
Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2010-01-07, 11:31pm
da General

I got a customized kiln from Mike with an interior height of 9" (instead of 4.5") and hinged doors!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-08, 10:10am

I love my new glasshive kiln. Just need to get it programmed in the second sequel for silverglasses.