TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-08-26, 7:39pm

Afina, lovely twisties. They look like fire!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-08-27, 12:05pm

Hi!
Mine are shocky, too! Got used to it. I think it is because i tend to heat and reheat them while twisting, so that different parts of it had different amounts of heat. And I fairly often twist bubbles, too . But I warm them slowly in the far part of the flame, like shocky glass (anis e.g.) and this works O.K. for me.
Verena

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2007-09-11, 9:13am
Forms in Glass

Default Twist and Shout

Twistys

Rings

Shorty

My Etsy

Old 2007-09-11, 9:37am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiG View Post
Twistys

Rings

Shorty
Show off...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-09-11, 6:29pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Exclamation

WHOA! It's not enough you do magnificant bugs and stuff you do twisties, rings, and shorties. OH MY! Angelique

Quote:
Twistys

Rings

Shorty

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2007-09-11, 6:47pm

Michael - Lovely

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-09-15, 11:00am
Formerly known as weasel

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, and hope that there will be more recipes to come so that we can get a wide variety...pretty please. Thanks for all the ones that have been posted so far.

Old 2007-09-15, 3:03pm
Just me

Have you tried annealing them? I've never done this myself but have heard it suggested before when others had this problem. I just made some twisties yesaterday and had some shockiness, totally messed up my bead!
It wasn't a huge problem but definately annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
I don't think that is my problem. I get it quite regualarly.

Old 2007-09-21, 4:16pm
Hooked on Glass

Cynthia I want to be you when I grow up. I think that your work is amazing. I look at it and all I can say is WOW WOW and how in the world did she do that. How long have you been doing this and how much was from classes vs self taught.

You are truely an artist,
Gloria
Old 2007-09-22, 7:14am
Happiness is....

Wow Michael,
Those rings are too cool, I love them!

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2007-09-22, 4:23pm
The Glass Smithy

These are great! More Twistie Recipes and photos please! Pretty Please!!!
Old 2007-09-23, 9:44pm
Just Plain

Wow, what a great thread! I need to start making some twisties; I've got a lot of practicing to do!

Old 2007-09-29, 9:57am
Formerly known as weasel

Please can we have more? I love this thread and have gotten some wonderful ideas, but please post more pretty please

Old 2007-10-02, 8:13pm

Wilma, you need to sit down and try some of them. Or just take colors you like.
Old 2007-10-05, 4:17pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

a twistie of opal yellow, rubino and intense black.

Actually, there were more but only those ones did the trick, and i'm able to replicate the look with that recipe.
Attached Images

Old 2007-10-24, 3:03pm
Noobie

If only I could do twisties...I can do stringer, but am twistie challenged!!
Old 2007-10-24, 3:59pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I'd be willing to bet you are not twistie challenged, but rather trying to make the twistie withe glass that is too hot.....try working cooler (further out) in the flame - and when you bring the glass out - count to 4 before you start to twist.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie View Post

Old 2007-10-26, 8:22pm

Quote:
I too think you can do twisties. Which ways have you tried? I know a bazillion ways to do them and one of them is bound to work for you.

The very first kind I ever tried to make worked so it must be fool proof.

Take 2 glass rods and tape them together about 5 inches down from the end you wanted to melt.

Heat the first 1st inch or so, paying attention to heating the "seam" between the two rods. Watch while the glass rods droop and flop out of control. Not to worry! Use less heat, and mash them together and horizontal again using a marver.

Heat until they are melted together. They won't turn into a gather if you keep using the marver and don't overheat them!

Once they are hot enough to pull, (fused together, molten really), use a pair of small pliers, grab the tips of both ends with one hand, twist and pull the rods with the other hand out of the flame.

If your on a HH you have to keep reheating the rods.

Ok, so I don't even know if you already tried this and hated doing it that way. But I'm not deleting all this now!!!

Please PM me if this isn't clear or you want more info or another way to do it.

Last edited by ziggys; 2007-10-26 at 8:27pm.
Old 2007-10-27, 9:18am
MomOnAMission

Quote:
Twistys

Are you just going to tease us? Or are you going to share??

Gorgeous twisties!!
Old 2007-10-27, 10:18am
Give to receive...simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseanne View Post
Are you just going to tease us? Or are you going to share??

Gorgeous twisties!!
Roseanne, you beat me to it..eheh..I was going to ask the same question! Great minds,uh?

Old 2007-10-27, 4:08pm
MomOnAMission

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
Roseanne, you beat me to it..eheh..I was going to ask the same question! Great minds,uh?

You know it girl
Old 2007-10-29, 7:33am
Noobie

Im glad you didnt delete this , I will try this later today. I will also try to work cooler as Curly Girl suggested. The ways that I have tried are from Cornia's book. I can get a sort of twistie, but it doesnt come out even, it has bumpy edges and they are really, really short. Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggys View Post
I too think you can do twisties. Which ways have you tried? I know a bazillion ways to do them and one of them is bound to work for you.

The very first kind I ever tried to make worked so it must be fool proof.

Take 2 glass rods and tape them together about 5 inches down from the end you wanted to melt.

Heat the first 1st inch or so, paying attention to heating the "seam" between the two rods. Watch while the glass rods droop and flop out of control. Not to worry! Use less heat, and mash them together and horizontal again using a marver.

Heat until they are melted together. They won't turn into a gather if you keep using the marver and don't overheat them!

Once they are hot enough to pull, (fused together, molten really), use a pair of small pliers, grab the tips of both ends with one hand, twist and pull the rods with the other hand out of the flame.

If your on a HH you have to keep reheating the rods.

Ok, so I don't even know if you already tried this and hated doing it that way. But I'm not deleting all this now!!!

Please PM me if this isn't clear or you want more info or another way to do it.
Old 2007-10-30, 2:41pm

One of my favorites using the "lollipop" method is Rubino in the center with EDP on one side and coral - I use dusty rose - on the other. You have to work in a fairly cool oxygen rich flame to keep the rubino red, but on OY it is gorgeous!

Old 2007-10-31, 3:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
One of my favorites using the "lollipop" method is Rubino in the center with EDP on one side and coral - I use dusty rose - on the other. You have to work in a fairly cool oxygen rich flame to keep the rubino red, but on OY it is gorgeous!
I just love your kitty pic!
When you say you add edp etc. to the lollipop, do you heat a gather, mash it, and then run the stripe across the center of the pop, flip over and add the other color?

Never mind...it's coming back to me now... That's a nice easy way too!

Last edited by ziggys; 2007-10-31 at 4:02pm.
Old 2007-10-31, 4:03pm

Quote:
Im glad you didnt delete this , I will try this later today. I will also try to work cooler as Curly Girl suggested. The ways that I have tried are from Cornia's book. I can get a sort of twistie, but it doesnt come out even, it has bumpy edges and they are really, really short. Thanks for the tip
Cheri,
What torch are you on? I found that I had to do everything a little different than the books said when using a HH than when using a surface mix torch.
I had to keep putting the glass back in the flame using a HH, and the twist would be uneven.

Sometimes it takes awhile to learn to twist and pull fast enough to get a longer twist. If you twist less you get a longer pull.

Maybe concentrate on pulling more and just getting a few good twists in there the first few tries.

Mashing a gather of glass on the end of a rod, (ie,the lollipop method, chystalflip's post above) and then adding a stripe of color on either side is a good way to try.

Next heat the tip of the gather and grab all three colors with your pliers when you pull.
Also wait a few seconds before starting to pull for the skin to form on the glass.
Argh, a web-cam would be nice right about now!

My favorite way to do twists now is the from Kimberly Affleck's tutorial on here. Let me find the tutorial.....
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...horse+twisties

These are really fun to do and look so cool on beads. It seemed kind of advanced for me to try, but once I made one I couldn't stop.

Still it might be better to start with 2 colors and get that down.
I also like the toothbrush method...Do you know that one?

Old 2007-10-31, 4:19pm
Happiness is....

I've not heard/seen of the toothbrush method. Do tell!

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2007-10-31, 6:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisdaka View Post
I've not heard/seen of the toothbrush method. Do tell!
It probably sounds more interesting than it is?!?

Hold one rod in each hand. Heat the bottom of the last inch of one rod and the "top" of the last inch of the other. When they are hot enough, stick the two heated ends together laying one on top of the other.

Since I don't know how to draw pics., on here, visualize one end of a rod as toothpaste laid on top of the other rod... the toothbrush.
(I think the name of this method comes from Cindy Jenkins.)

Keep heating the two rods where they join. I have a marver sitting on my work space so I can push the rods straight again when they start to droop.
You want to keep everything horizontal.

Bend one rod up so it attachs to the end of the "toothpaste" rod.
Bend the toothpaste rod down so it attaches to the end of the toothbrush rod.
Aim the flame at the middle. The glass will slowly melt into a gather forming a football shape.
Heat until you don't see any change in color on either rod end, especially where the "seam" is.
Try not to turn, push, or pull, either rod so the colors stay seperated and even.

Keep heating until the football shape is so molten you think it will fall onto the table.
Take out of the flame, give a little pull to make sure it's ready, wait for a skin to form and pull and twist.
Twist away from yourself with the right hand and towards yourself with the left hand.
That way when you apply the twistie if you want to make it a little tighter you can easily twist it a bit more (if your right handed) while its being applied to the bead......I think I have that part right. I never really thought this out, I just do it. But I remember Corrina writing about it.

I think there is a trick to knowing exactly when to pull but I can't remember it. Anyone? I just guess.

I think I need to learn how to draw pictures and get them onto LE!
Please let me know if this does or does not make sense.
Thanks!

Old 2007-11-05, 12:59pm
Forms in Glass

I sorry I posted pix and have not returned with a tut. I use the lollypop recipe with a nortel minor/redmax.
1. melt a white lump and squish with flat mashers.
2. flatten round edges of lollypop so you are left with a square pop.
3. case tansparent aquamarine on one side of the pop.
4. case opaque yellow ocher and orange on other side of pop.
5. put extra dence stringer of black on thin seam right and left
deliniating the orange and blue.
6. case in clear. you now have a thick lollypop put extra clear on the ends
with no black stringer. These are the ends you are attaching your (punty) handles.
I use a uncoated thick mandrel.
7. now case the flat sides of the lollypop with enough clear to create a cylinder.
case carefully so as to trap as few bubbles as possible.
8 attach punty on opposite side of lump then heat and pull.

My Etsy

Old 2007-11-11, 6:43am
Runs with scissors

This thread ROCKS!! Thank-you so much for the contributions........so inspiring

Old 2007-11-15, 11:43am

Hey guys, I haven't had TIME to make a tut of my method for you all, but I plan to at some point... let me share this info tho:

SHOCKY twisties are usually full of AIR! Yup... if when you are applying glass to glasss, you trap air, and don't manage to remove the trapped air when heating the mass of glass before pulling, the air causes your twisty to POP/shatter.

One of the most difficult (for me) aspects of turning out a large volume of twisties, is finding a way to melt large amounts of glass, remove ALL the air, AND produce a long pull with a tight twist, simultaneously.

Using a mandrel spinner helps with the latter, but removing the air is time consuming, involving moving your mass of glass thru the flame in the same direction, repeatedly and squeezing the air out that way.

PPP!
Hugs
Lynnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by afina View Post
Hi!
Mine are shocky, too! Got used to it. I think it is because i tend to heat and reheat them while twisting, so that different parts of it had different amounts of heat. And I fairly often twist bubbles, too . But I warm them slowly in the far part of the flame, like shocky glass (anis e.g.) and this works O.K. for me.
Verena

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

: