Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-08, 8:35am

Default One tool

What is one tool you have (besides your torch) that you couldn't imagine living without?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

# M 114
Old 2008-01-08, 8:51am

Just one? I guess for me it would have to be my brass marver.
Old 2008-01-08, 8:55am

Is brass better then a graphite marver? Well you can put more then one but I thought it'd be interesting to know what people like to use the most.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

# M 114
Old 2008-01-08, 8:56am

I agree - my marver. I would get a brass marver/stump shaper. So you have a surface to roll your beads and different angles on the other sides to do other shaping. I think dawn - from here - she advertises her brass tools has something like this.
Amy

Old 2008-01-08, 8:59am

I'm not really sure if it's better, I have both, but I like the brass one most.
I really don't use too many tools. Besides my marver the only other tools I can't live without are my shaping tools I purchased from (?) Whimsicality (?) I hope that's right. She sells them sometimes in the garage sale area.
Old 2008-01-08, 9:01am

It would be a toss-up between a pair of tungsten tip tweezers and a Kote.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-01-08, 9:03am

between my handy marvers and my styli. i use them all the time

Old 2008-01-08, 9:05am

What is a kote? artco?

# M 114
Old 2008-01-08, 9:10am

Brass stump shaper. I use it on just about every bead. I do have the large one, but would prefer the small one. I mostly use it as a marver to flatten the start of my bead to a barrel shape. I have a torch marver that serves as storage for short stringers. I like to hold the shaper up to see better what I am doing.

Last edited by bousky; 2008-01-08 at 9:12am.
Old 2008-01-08, 9:27am

I don't think I can pick one.

This is probably what I use each one for the most, though.

EMS (electric mandrel spinner) invaluable to me for getting even beads and quick shaping.

Graphite marver (smooth, does not "stick" to the glass)

Brass stump shaper (seems to "grab" the glass more. helps to move it around better - and is a better heat sink to help push dots or stringer designs into beads)

Tungsten pick (I use this to actually stick into the hot-soupy glass and move it around for organic designs)

Corina Magic tool (although I could substitute a razor blade tool if I had it) (puts lines into beads, cuts lines into gathers to make small murrini, makes creases)

Stainless pick (I use this instead of tungsten to actually rake the glass because it grabs the glass a little and pulls it around better. Use for pulling only, or it can get stuck in the glass. Some folks use little glass stringers for this job, but these are easy to make from old mandrels, and work better for me).

Cattwalk crunch presses. Great to get flattened beads that have a gentle curve to the outside edge. I started with the standard size, but probably use the long and lean one more.

The Kote (a long steel paddle) looks like if you got used to it, you could do lots with it. It's long enough to use as a good marver, it's got edges that are sharp enough to do creasing with, and they aren't pricy. I just haven't been able to get used to using it.

My suggestion, try one basic one, and plan to set aside a little money every month to add another tool or two. With the exception of the EMS (that I got originally for pain in my thumb), none of these tools are outrageously expensive. $15-~50.
Old 2008-01-08, 9:28am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleacim View Post
What is one tool you have (besides your torch) that you couldn't imagine living without?
My husband...

Seriously, I don't think I could live without my little micromini shapers from Whimzicalities.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...

Last edited by chrissij; 2008-01-08 at 9:47am. Reason: Hit key too quickly when phone rang...duh...
Old 2008-01-08, 9:35am

my butter knife, LOL. I use it as a hand held marver, shaper, etc. I actually go to big lots and buy 5-10 of them in a pack every now again, since they pit.

I'd probably love a brass shaper, just haven't invested in one yet!

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2008-01-08, 9:45am

Great thanks!

# M 114
Old 2008-01-08, 10:14am
Trying to Hope!

My razor knife then my whimicalities tools them my ems and graphite work surface

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-01-08, 10:42am

Where do you buy your whimicalities tools?

# M 114
Old 2008-01-08, 10:50am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleacim View Post
Where do you buy your whimicalities tools?
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75402

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-01-08, 11:14am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

my stump shaper, definetly

Old 2008-01-08, 1:30pm
Facebook addict

My torch mounted marver.

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2008-01-08, 1:35pm
Life is change. Love it

Brass stump shaper for me too.

Old 2008-01-08, 2:11pm
She better not sell these

Definitely a toss up between my marver and my butterknife. I think if i lost my marver i could live with just my butter knife.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2008-01-08, 9:00pm

I have a new tool from Cattwalk that is very handy. It is a brass marver that has various angles on the sides. The top angle is sharp enough that I use it instead of my knife and razor for creasing flowers, hearts, lines for stripes on twisties or striped cane. One side of the tool has a v cut that I use often for deeper and wider cutting. I really like this tool as it is long enough to use it to roll beads for any kind of shaping and it is brass which helps with striking certain colors and it is lightweight. It has replaced several of my other tools as it does so many things in the one tool. I use my Smirchic graphite marver a lot because I really use the little hole for spinning my beads. This isn't a tool but I couldn't do without my creation station. So, I would say the brass marver from Cattwalk as my tool of choice but I couldn't do without my creation station as I have back problems and it really helps. I know Catt has some of these marvers in stock but I don't know if she has them listed yet. I've had one since summer and I use it on every bead. I can't say enough good things about that tool.

Old 2008-01-08, 9:36pm
Corgi Lover

My stump shamper!! Love it!

Vicki
Old 2008-01-08, 10:16pm
FatCat Mama

torch mounted marver and small brass Stump shaper

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2008-01-09, 9:22am

Well I just cant not tell you about my favorite tool.

I love my Flat brass 45 marver. It has a flat smooth top and 45 beveled sides the edges are sharp and I use them also for cutting into the glass the back side is just perfect for the larger tube beads, bicones Oh and the angle is PERFECT for making even ends!! Every time I make a bead this tool is used in one way or another.

Here is a pic of the tool.
click on the links site below and it will take you to our web site or etsy. On my web site I have info on each tool we sell.

SL

Last edited by StacyLynne; 2008-01-09 at 9:25am.
Old 2008-01-09, 9:34am
Goddess

Well, since I can use my tiled table top as a marver if I really need to, for me it would be my dental spatula. I can't function without it.

Old 2008-01-09, 5:15pm
Born Facing Left

Brass stump shaper, and my beloved, ancient needlenose pliers. They're like part of my hand. As some of my students will assure you....I'm a bit weird about my pliers!

Old 2008-01-09, 5:35pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I would have to say, not counting tweezers, that I use my Osibin Lentil Shaper more than any other tool on my table. Now I rarely use my flat marver except for pick-ups with frit and czs. I don't use the Osibin shaper for lentils, just for shaping and centering the glass. It makes awesome rounded barrels, olives and egg shapes. I even use it on round beads. Here's some bad pictures of beads I used the shaper to make. The second bead was smashed after being an olive shape.

I have to thank Cynthia (Glassactcc) for showing me how she used it, and Quincy (quincyandco) for giving me the shaper for my birthday! You ladies are awesome and way too kind!

Kelly

Old 2008-01-09, 10:43pm

My kitchen paring knife. Works as a marver, pick, everything.
Jen
Old 2008-01-10, 2:22am
He can do the origami

My torch mounted marver because it serves so many purposes and is generally a stable, perfectly located base for all my shaping, frit pick up, silver leaf burnishing etc.

Otter
Old 2008-01-10, 8:07am
state-eternal change

Brass stump shaper and osibin lentil shaper.