LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-10, 1:34pm

Darleen,
I used to use seed beads inside of my larger whole beads too. I moved onto using small end caps with small end into bead, large end facing out (same idea as those bead stabilizers. This made sense since I was wire wrapping glass earring, bracelet components, etc. It looks like a spacer bead is on top if the bead. I would then put a crystal, small sterling silver bead, etc. in the center of space if need be and work out.

-Kristy
Old 2012-02-10, 2:36pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Hmm I use pretty much only 1/16th mandrels??? Is there a product that will work for this? I have had to use seed beads but pretty much I am okay since I have a smaller hole on single dipped mandrels.

One other question- do any of you ever have issues with the tubing coming out and showing once the pieces are put together? I am making several bracelets for some VERY upscale clients and want to make sure that it is an aesthetic addition to the bracelet. I am using 14kt gold beads and findings on one of the pieces so it needs to keep it's integrity!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-02-11, 12:38pm

Michelle, I'm sure there must be tubing that small but I didn't really look. Since I started using Donna's beadrollers I went back to the larger mandrel which leaves a 3mm hole.

And no, you cut the tubing to fit the bead. If it's a snug fit then no worries. Plus I like to put either a small bead next to my bead or use a beadcap so nothing shows.

I had bought some tubing from another beadmaker but it was a bit smallish so it was slipping out and the ID was way small. I had to fight to get 20g wire through it. I really like this new stuff I bought a lot better.

Oh and I'm using Foster Fire bead release. I keep it so it tends to drip down the mandrel a bit when I set it up to dry so you know that it's not THAT thick. I'll measure ... bare mandrel is 2.37mm which is about 3/32", with bead release 3.07 or 1/8".

The fit is snug but easy to insert.

Old 2012-02-11, 12:38pm

Well I forgot to mention I now have the tubing for sale in my Etsy store. It's $5 + shipping for 5 feet.

Old 2012-02-11, 4:29pm
Now in living color

Cheeky Monkey, thanks for the visual!

Old 2012-02-11, 7:25pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Darleen- Thank you so much for all the help! I may start making my beads on 3/32 mandrels again so that I can use this type of tubing- I do use bead rollers but I have since taken to using either presses or just the round molds and only the rim of the molds at that not going down into a cavity (much like you would shape a marble) It keeps my ends nice and puckered

That said do you find that there is a big difference in how your beads string up in jewelry with the larger hole- or now that you use tubing there is no difference? I switched to all 1/16th mandrels so I would have a more "jeweler's friendly" product.

Thank you again for all your help!!! This is really helping me to branch back out into making jewelry with my beads!

Old 2012-02-12, 9:07am

Michelle I have not made a lot of jewelry. I'm just getting started. And right now I'm doing only basic wire work. I haven't done any stringing. However, I will say that this particular tubing is a nice SNUG fit on my beads. Again, the OD of the tubing is 3mm and the ID is 1.8mm. It's a nice size for larger wire and I would think multiple strands of stringing material like beadalon or acculon. I haven't tried it yet with those but will be doing so soon as I have some bracelets I want to make.

I also want to add that this tubing is stiffer than the other stuff I had bought from an Etsy store. THAT tubing is smaller and very flexible. Soft and easy to cut. I am finding that this tubing I now have is a little stiffer and takes a bit more care in cutting. If I'm not focused it tends to slip sideways in the scissors. Doesn't mean it isn't any good, just firmer.

I used quite a bit yesterday as I wired up some cell phone charms for the AGLF store in Etsy. I have to say I really like it. I'm using premade headpins from FMG that are probably 21g? Maybe 22? They don't wiggle at all once I've got them wired in. I'm a happy camper!

Old 2012-02-12, 5:14pm
Artistically Absorbed

I use seed beads they come in many sizes and colors, also just plain ole clear.
They are fairly cheap and it retains flexibility and you can vary size for different mandrel lengths.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64