No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-16, 6:48am
Remember to keep smiling

Default Do you leave your propane tank exposed to the elements

I will be moving again soon "ugh" living in the country I have not worried about my propane tanks sitting outside my studio and it could be just me constantly in my mind checking off things I need to be sure I take care of like....neighbor kids walking by and Medaling with the tanks, theft etc. So should I lock them in a enclosure of some sort or maybe chain a mean looking dog to them....how do you have yours setup?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRA#P109
Old 2013-03-16, 6:55am

I live in Maine and my tank is on my deck on the back side of my home, which is right on US Rt 1 in Bucksport. The picture is of my brother but you can see my tank behind him. I have my hose inside a black piece of some sort of flexible plastic tubing so the sun doesn't bother my hose. (Sunlight = bad for hoses over time.) I have a very professional looking plastic bucket over my valves and have a heavy metal chain going through the handle of the bucket to keep said bucket from blowing off! It works! The window looks like hell but I don't care. My ventilation goes through the top of the window - and window spacing stuffed with pink fiberglass insulation. My hose goes through the bottom of the same window and comes in under my workstation inside. Again, the window opening is stuffed with insulation and the black plastic on the outside protects the insulation from the weather- rain, snow, sleet... all that $hit we get in Maine!

This is what it looks like inside on the OTHER side of that window.

The gentleman is Jim Boivan, my safety guru from Maine Oxy from whom I lease my propane tank. I had him inspect my system for safety last summer and passed with flying colors.

Also note the tank is chained to the railings that I had designed with the deck, partly for safety on the step down from house to deck but also knowing I needed to chain my tank as Maine law says I need to.

Winter in all its nasty glory in Maine! Knock on wood but my bucket hasn't failed me yet!

It works for me.

Sue
and the present is a gift.

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2013-03-16 at 7:03am.
Old 2013-03-16, 7:07am
Remember to keep smiling

Sue awesome studio! thanks for the pics I plan on getting new hoses I noticed when breaking everything down they look like gator skin what a great idea running the hoses through tubing.

SRA#P109
Old 2013-03-16, 7:13am

You are very welcome.

Sue
Old 2013-03-16, 7:16am
Gentleman of Leisure

Propane tanks sit out in hundred of thousand of locations all over the world in all kind of weather...... That being said, you "can" put it in a enclosure but its not necessary for other than appearances and maybe sort of camouflage it .... If theft and vandalism is a problem in your area, you can chain it up, but its your choice....

IF you decide to enclose it, be sure to put some vents holes in bottom of enclosure so if there is any leaking the propane has a escape route to "drain off" so it does not cause a hazard by accumulation in enclosure...

Something as simple as putting it into a garbage can, can protect it for elements to something sort of decorative so its becomes part of porch or home decor...

IT you are using something like a welding style adjustable regulator and want to protect it from elements, simply inverting a plastic bucket over it will protect it from elements....

And if you use a tubing to protect hose, you do not want to have a continuous run of tube from regulator to torch (through wall) because it becomes a channel for leaking propane (from hose) to enter house.... Any wall penetration should be metallic piping required by local building codes....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-03-16 at 7:21am.
Old 2013-03-16, 7:31am
Remember to keep smiling

Dale thanks for the Input. Garbage can would be a great idea. I don't expect much crime but I noticed alot of kids in the area and my back yard will not be fenced just thought out of sight out of Mind for their little fingers.

SRA#P109
Old 2013-03-16, 1:12pm
Queen of the milo field

I have two barbecue grill size tanks & they both fit into one of those plastic storage containers w/a cover.

dj
Old 2013-03-16, 2:00pm

I am in central Ohio and it can get cold here. My bbq propane is in a plastic hose box with a few holes drilled in it. The hose is inside a PVC pipe and my DH drilled a hole in the side of the house for it. I have one of those yellow garage worklights inside it. A 60 watt bulb provides enough heat in the winter to keep the propane workable. Been 3 years and not one problem.
Old 2013-03-16, 5:32pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I'm in NW WI and my BBQ tank lives in a nice little tank house my DH built....complete w siding and shingles...protects the connections from build up f snow and ice as well as eliminates shoveling when it's time for the blizzard tank is empty day!

Old 2013-03-16, 5:41pm
Must..have..more...glass

Default Tank Enclosure

We had some leftover polycarbonate from a prior project, so I've just finished building a small container for my propane tank outside the garage. I've installed a quick release connector so that I can hook up the hose when I want to turn it on. It's probably overkill, but I think it will look O.K., and it's hidden from the street by the garbage and recycle bins.
Old 2013-03-17, 3:56am
Now part of the Dark Side

I cover mine with a brown plastic tarp. More for protection of the regulator than anything else. My bbq just sits out all winter with the tank attached.
Old 2013-03-17, 8:50am

I alwasy did the same as Sue. Upside Down Bucket.The bucket lasted for years. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2013-03-17, 9:35am
Remember to keep smiling

Thanks for all your great ideas. It has really helped me visualize the different options That will work out best for me. This move for some reason has really been a mental challenge for me.

SRA#P109
Old 2013-03-17, 10:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post

And if you use a tubing to protect hose, you do not want to have a continuous run of tube from regulator to torch (through wall) because it becomes a channel for leaking propane (from hose) to enter house.... Any wall penetration should be metallic piping required by local building codes....

Dale
Dale- I never thought of that risk! I have pulled the tubing out of the house so it stops before it hits the insulation. I tried for metal piping but couldn't find anyone willing to do it for me. My best right now is hoses in the bottom of the window and ventilation out the top. Make up air is on the other side of the room. Still, I never thought about my propane leaking and having a direct route into the house.

I'm living safer because of one more tip from you.

Thank you,

Sue
Old 2013-03-17, 11:55am
Wonder-wench

I'm in California near Sacramento with a fairly mild climate, no snow, scorching hot summers. My tank is outside on the ground, no protection from the elements for about 2 years now, so far, so good.

Probably should do something to protect the hose from the sun, though, now that I see the comments above.

Old 2013-03-17, 3:47pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Interesting to see this thread .... Tx! I've been researching what to do for my Propane tanks (BBQ size) here. My regulator with the quick connects is not working too well after being left outside, difficult to get connected, I think they have eroded because of the salt air - Bermuda is a very harsh environment. So I will have to replace but will use the trash can idea for storing it in. Tx!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2013-03-17, 6:17pm

Default propane storage-camouflage.......

I keep my propane tank(bbq size) in a hose reel holder without the reel. Picked it up at Lowes. Sits on the patio and blends right in.
Joan
Old 2013-03-17, 9:13pm
Remember to keep smiling

Joan, glasswytch mentioned using a hose reel also I happen to look at them today at lowes I am horrible with measurements and was not sure if I was looking at the right item. Going to go back armed with my son he is pretty handy with calculating not to mention they are close by to those heavy potting soil bags I will just so happen to need.

SRA#P109
Old 2013-03-18, 4:26am

Swing by the BBQ section, pickup a tank and just do a test fit in the store.
Then either by and extra tank, return it to the BBQ section on the way to the register, or ask the associate to return the item.

You could also look at screens and such used to hide AC units and Garbage cans.
I like the look of the latice style with sweet pea, and other climbing flowers planted infront. Its also on my list of projects.
Keep ease of access in mind when it comes to replaceing the tanks.

Old 2013-03-18, 7:19am

I keep my tank outside of the sliding glass door in my studio under an overhang of our bay window. I have a quick connect on my tank but I do wrap that up in bubble wrap and then a plastic bag to protect from the elements. My hope is this spring my husband will build a small building to house both oxy and propane tanks and feed the hoses thru the wall to my work table.
Old 2013-03-18, 11:30am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I live in Hawaii. All we did was put a little four-legged end-table we found at a garage sale over our BBQ tank. We put my small AC unit (what do they call those, swamp coolers?) on top of the little table. It rains a lot, so the only thing I'm really worried about is rust.

The BBQ tank and table is on the concrete against the house, just outside a row of little hip-height louvered windows. We have the hose going in through a hole in the window screen, and the AC blows in through the window onto my legs under my workbench. Does that make ANY sense at all?!? LOL I'm gonna have to take pictures later.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-18, 2:50pm
Remember to keep smiling

Losthelm luv your way of thinking it never occurred to me to utilize their tanks. I'm having one of those "duh" moments.

Fourpawsglass I should have plenty bubblewrap after this move to utilize. I probably would have wrapped my dogs if they would have stayed still long enough.

Lyssa heah girl been awhile since we talked. If I was fortunate enough to move to Hawaii hell I would be willing to sleep outside with my tanks.

SRA#P109
Old 2013-03-20, 10:01am
Mary Lockwood

I put my tank in a gutted hose reel box. I have a clamp light in there with a 75 watt light bulb that I use only in the winter because otherwise my regulator freezes up and my flame peters out. DeAnne Buchanan has a tutorial on how to hard pipe propane and mine is set up with her instructions from the torch to the tank.

Old 2013-03-20, 11:56am

We have the tank on a wooden platform with wheels, and hide it under one arm of the BBQ, under the cover, in the backyard. When I'm torching, we roll it closer to the garage and hook up the regulator and hose.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-03-20, 12:36pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I have mine in one of these:

It's taller than my bbq style propane tank so I put a bunch of leftover wood down at the bottom so it is very heavy, stable and the tank sits at just the right level. I work in my 'garagio' so it sits outside the garage and is nicely hidden in there and looks nice.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2013-03-20, 3:17pm
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Fire View Post
We had some leftover polycarbonate from a prior project, so I've just finished building a small container for my propane tank outside the garage. I've installed a quick release connector so that I can hook up the hose when I want to turn it on. It's probably overkill, but I think it will look O.K., and it's hidden from the street by the garbage and recycle bins.

Oh that's fancy! I do like Sue does and have my bbq sized tank under a plastic garbage can that doesn't quite hit the ground. It's awesome considering the amount of snow we got this year in NH.

~

Old 2013-03-20, 6:15pm

Thanks for the hint about the hose. I have mine on the side of my garage. I use a bbq cover to protect the regulator and tank, but nothing on the hose. I am going to put something on the hose that the sun can get to. This has been a helpful thread!