Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-12-16, 4:21pm

Default New boro user question

I received Shawn's icicle tutorial and an anxious to use it. What brand of boro rod do I buy and where is the best place to get it from?
Old 2010-12-16, 4:24pm
boro color bender

For clear i use Simax or Kimble... I use color from all the different color companies, it depends on what you like... you've got ABR and Mountain Glass near you... both great suppliers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-12-17, 6:35am

Thank you! Now I have a starting point!
Old 2010-12-19, 10:06am
ManBearPig

ABR isn't near you. It's in Indiana. But they are good guys to buy from. You'd just have to mail order.

Mountain Glass Arts is in Asheville, and Generations Glass is in Kenley I believe.

Old 2010-12-20, 10:08am

I purchased my Little Dragon from Generations Glass (a couple centuries ago). They were great! I had not even thought about them in a couple years.
Old 2010-12-20, 12:20pm

I really like working with ABR, they are really great to help answer questions when you are first starting out and they are all wonderfully talented glass workers. I was lucky enough to meet them, after starting out at the ISGB when it was in Rochester. Dave, Ross, or Cody will get back to you and help VERY QUICKLY!! They are A#1 in my book.
Hope this helps
Old 2010-12-20, 2:58pm

I agree!

I pretty much only use 5 vendors consistently anymore unless I need a specialty item and I have tried alot of them ( although in all fairness, don't believe I have ever tried Generations Glass) - the 5 are ABR, Frantz, Glasscraft , DelphiGlass and firelady.

Firelady is mainly 104 so not really a boro vendor but I more or less gave you my whole list

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangell View Post
I really like working with ABR, they are really great to help answer questions when you are first starting out and they are all wonderfully talented glass workers. I was lucky enough to meet them, after starting out at the ISGB when it was in Rochester. Dave, Ross, or Cody will get back to you and help VERY QUICKLY!! They are A#1 in my book.
Hope this helps

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2010-12-20 at 3:06pm.
Old 2010-12-22, 7:04am
Flamewoman

ABR- they have everything ( and in stock ) they ship quickly, and your glass gets to you in unbroken condition ( unlike some ) they are the best!

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2011-01-02, 5:44am

I have only ever used corning pyrex. I've never used any other clear, and I have never had any issues with it. I order mine from Wale Apparatus. You can get it for 30% off at times. Wale is near me and I can vouch for them. They are a good source for corning glass.