Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-01, 7:52pm
It's about having fun!

Hey, thanks! That sounds right!
Old 2011-02-01, 8:42pm

What a great offer to make. Thank you. If you don't want to answer this question please don't, but I'd like to know how you price your beads... ? I think this is a question many beaders struggle with. Thanks for your generosity you've already given so much!!!
Old 2011-02-01, 9:50pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdimatteo View Post
What a great offer to make. Thank you. If you don't want to answer this question please don't, but I'd like to know how you price your beads... ? I think this is a question many beaders struggle with. Thanks for your generosity you've already given so much!!!
They're mostly priced based on how long they take me... I aim for $60-$90/hr of torch time, which translates to $20-$30/hr when off-torch work is factored in. After business expenses and taxes, I get to keep about half of that, so it's not an especially well-paying job, but it does pay the bills. Most of the time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-01, 10:24pm
beads....mmmm

Kalera, how nice of you to do this. I'm cracking up though...I saw your post this afternoon. I had to get some work done, so I figured I'd think about your offer and figure out what I wanted to ask you. (So much!) Anyway, a few hours later, and you're up to three pages. I love it!

I'm going to go read the whole thread before I add to it.

Thanks again for your generosity!

::
Old 2011-02-01, 10:30pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks Deborah! I'm actually excited that so many people like my beads enough to ask about them... it sure is a nice confidence-booster!

Old 2011-02-01, 11:04pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
So, what is the meaning of life?

Seriously, that is a kind and generous offer.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-02-02, 12:29am
Corgi Cult Member

I'm late to the party, any chance you want to do one more reveal? I love your set called Earthenware.
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=9151

Thanks!

Old 2011-02-02, 3:09am

As you already know Kalera, The Beadwife is my boro bead inspirational site and by trial and error Im slowly figuring out boro frit. Thank you for your immense generosity in starting this thread. I confess to chasing down all your posts in the boro room,,,, Kalera said "work closer to the flame, very close".. so I do.. Kalera said "these are my favourite three boro frits",,, so I try them over everything, just to see what works, In the last two weeks I realised that you pull a lot of your own boro cane for beads,, so you can guess what I've been doing, and yes, lots of mine are just yuk.... but even if you don't realise, you are teaching me to be more adventurous, so once again, a massive Thank You

Old 2011-02-02, 4:13am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Oh, you have no idea how I want to pick your brain!!! Thank you so much Kalera for offering this! I have always loved your beads, and especially the frit beads, and the dot beads... I could fill the whole thread with questions, you have so many so yummy creations, I would love to know each one of them, but for now I will just ask the recipe for two of them.
I would love to know how you made these two sets:
Attached Images

Last edited by Pia Kaven; 2011-02-02 at 4:19am.
Old 2011-02-02, 4:22am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Oh wow, that Earthenware IS one gorgeous set! <3
Old 2011-02-02, 4:51am

Thank you Kalera,
You give an expanded definition to the word generous and your beads are just beautiful
Old 2011-02-02, 8:41am

Thank you so much Kalera!!

It's so helpful to have these recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Oh, yes! Cobalt 1114, turquoise 1116, deep royal purple 1128, emerald 1417, sunset coral 1305, dark rose brown 1109, aquamarine 1108, garnet 1322... I know there are more, as well! BE has so many incredible transparents.
Old 2011-02-02, 9:01am

These beads are stunning. Do you remember the color?
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12092

I notice you use a lot of bullseye. Is that your preferred glass and do you prefer it because it's stiffer or because of the colors?
Mary
Old 2011-02-02, 9:02am

Wow....just Wow, Kalera! Your generosity is staggering. I'm eating this up with a spoon, and thinking about expanding my glass collection - I don't really have BE, and my only Gaffer is Chalcedony (which I've put aside until I decide to waste more with my ill attempts).

Thank you soooo much! Your tut would be a sure thing - please consider it!

Judy
Old 2011-02-02, 10:26am

Pia, I believe she offered the basic frit recipe in post 8. They are gorgeous beads! Thank you so much, Kalera! And I'd buy a tutorial by you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piakaven View Post
Oh, you have no idea how I want to pick your brain!!! Thank you so much Kalera for offering this! I have always loved your beads, and especially the frit beads, and the dot beads... I could fill the whole thread with questions, you have so many so yummy creations, I would love to know each one of them, but for now I will just ask the recipe for two of them.

Old 2011-02-02, 10:34am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
I'm late to the party, any chance you want to do one more reveal? I love your set called Earthenware.
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=9151

Thanks!
It's an ongoing offer... you are never too late! "earthenware" is simply R-106. http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=111&pID=1064

I love this glass and use the frit in a lot of my organics; it's downright bizarre in the flame, runny and boily, going from white to blue to brown, and devitrifies like mad, and I LOVE it! It's like a brown version of Z-99.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 7:45am. Reason: add image
Old 2011-02-02, 10:35am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by effemess View Post
As you already know Kalera, The Beadwife is my boro bead inspirational site and by trial and error Im slowly figuring out boro frit. Thank you for your immense generosity in starting this thread. I confess to chasing down all your posts in the boro room,,,, Kalera said "work closer to the flame, very close".. so I do.. Kalera said "these are my favourite three boro frits",,, so I try them over everything, just to see what works, In the last two weeks I realised that you pull a lot of your own boro cane for beads,, so you can guess what I've been doing, and yes, lots of mine are just yuk.... but even if you don't realise, you are teaching me to be more adventurous, so once again, a massive Thank You
Thank you!!!

Experimentation is where it's at... and if a cane comes out ugly, you can use it as a base for Amazon Bronze frit. Amazon Bronze rescues anything!

Old 2011-02-02, 10:37am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piakaven View Post
Pia, the recipe for the frit is in post #8... the base glass for those two sets are Uroboros Amazon Green and Uroboros Riviera Blue, respectively.

Last edited by Kalera; 2011-02-02 at 10:49am. Reason: Actually I think that's Riviera, not Turquoise
Old 2011-02-02, 10:47am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdimatteo View Post
These beads are stunning. Do you remember the color?
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12092

I notice you use a lot of bullseye. Is that your preferred glass and do you prefer it because it's stiffer or because of the colors?
Mary
That's a BE special production color from a while back... I want to say "Ivy"? I am really bad about labeling my SPCs, and so I have a ton that I don't know the name of.

I do love Bullseye, and I have a ton of it, mostly because if I'm going to encase anything that's the glass I usually use. It's reasonably cheap, consistent, readily available, has a full palette, and great clear. I feel the same way about 96 but the big drawback, for me, to 96 is a lack of medium-to-light-saturation transparents, and that I haven't yet found a 96 ivory-type glass that reacts with silver, and that's the basis for 90% of my encased beads (if anyone knows of one, please let me know!). I prefer 104 and 96 for organic and dot beads.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 7:47am.
Old 2011-02-02, 10:50am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Thanks Squidly!

Lorraine, Dawn Canyon is a mix of frits in varying sizes that includes R-108, R-106, R-227, K-66, Z-74, and Z-99. There is also a medium, slightly translucent blue, and a cobalt that is a total mystery. It's on a base color of Uroboros 2342.

The way some of these frits, like this one, got born was essentially via happy accident. Oftentimes, it's what I do with a bunch of leftovers or samples that I couldn't do anything with. Worse yet, sometimes I don't know what those frits are... an early mistake I'm learning not to make!

I think I know enough of the components of this one to more or less replicate it. I hope. I have half a baby food jar of it left!

Ochoco Pixiestone is half R-108 and R-736 frits, size #1, gravity swirled over some vintage German light blue transparent.
Thank-you kalera! This has been a very fun thread and we sure need more of these right now.

(((hugs and thank-yous))))
Old 2011-02-02, 10:52am
I'm a lilac!

Hooray, thank you Lorraine! You're welcome! It's 2011... let this be a year of fun, experimentation, and prosperity for us all!

Old 2011-02-02, 10:57am
Resident hippie

Kalera this is a wonderful thing you are doing.
I'd like to think it's the way of the future so that things can really move into a better state.
Generosity, kindness, helpfulness. You have them in abundance. I love it!

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-02-02, 12:57pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
It's an ongoing offer... you are never too late! "earthenware" is simply R-106. http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=111&pID=1064

I love this glass and use the frit in a lot of my organics; it's downright bizarre in the flame, runny and boily, going from white to blue to brown, and devitrifies like mad, and I LOVE it! It's like a brown version of Z-99.
I've used that glass a lot too, but NEVER have I gotten it to turn that lovely color. You must have the magic touch! I've always been frustrated that I seem to loose the pretty blue in the kiln. They still have some blue coming out, but never as intense. Fun, fun glass! Will have to play with it some more to see if I can get the color you did. The slightest phase of the moon seems to yield different results with this one. Thanks!

Old 2011-02-02, 1:10pm

Kalera,
You have inspired me today, and not only with your beads but with your kindness and camaraderie.
Do you know of any other reichenbach colors that devitrify? I like that quality sometimes.
Darlene

Old 2011-02-02, 1:53pm
Angie09

Well....already placed orders with That Frit Girl and Val Cox ... guess I'll round it out with Glass Diversions. Kalera, you should get a cut of all the frit that is going to be selling in the next few days thanks to your kindness and willingness to share! THANK YOU!!
Old 2011-02-02, 2:09pm
Flame Dame

Wonderful thread, Kalera. Thanks for sharing!

Leah

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2011-02-02, 2:25pm

Thanks so much for both your generosity and the inspiration!

Mimi
Old 2011-02-02, 2:31pm
Semi Retired

Kalera, I love all your Romance beads. So I plan to whip up a batch of the frits and play. Thank you for the story too. I just wish all my mishaps turned out as nice as yours.

|

|

|

|

Old 2011-02-02, 3:01pm
offically down under

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us. I can't wait to get on the torch but with the temps in the high 90's, I'm going to have to wait.

Old 2011-02-02, 3:23pm

Kalera, this thread has been so much fun to read , a special thanks for sharing your recipes and reminding me to experiment.