Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-09-04, 7:40pm

Question Need Help with Violet Pastel, 272

Sorry if this has been addressed already, I did a search but couldn't find any answers to my question.

So I ordered some of this about a month ago when Frantz had it on sale because I like purple and wanted some inexpensive purple glass to play with. I don't have a lot of experience and haven't had this happen with any other glass. The purple is getting a silver sheen, which I guess could be nice but how do I get just plain purple? Also, a couple beads that I worked for a long time turned silverish-brown around the holes. I'm working on a minor with tanked oxy and natural gas.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Old 2014-09-04, 7:50pm

work a little farther away from the face of the torch

make sure you have a neutral fame.
Old 2014-09-04, 8:05pm
Slogan Challenged...

a lot of purples (or all of them) reduce really easily. You can clean it up a bit with an oxidyzing flame. Try to work further out in the flame, like the turquoise, as Yellowbird said.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2014-09-06, 1:27am
Naysayer

Don't some say to use toilet bowl cleaner to get rid of that? Hopefully someone will chime in. I don't know what kind (if it matters).
Old 2014-09-06, 5:41am
Slogan Challenged...

Yes, I think that the cleaner, or whatever you use for the reduction on the blues, would work here too. Myself, I was unsuccessful at removing either with anything but etching liquid for a minute or two. I didn't try the purple. To me, that purple reduction seems more intense.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-09-06, 9:41am
Queen of the milo field

If you have a bunch already made & don't need/want a flame polished look, tumble them. Then you'll have a soft purple w/o the reduction as it will remove it.

These were tumbled

dj
Old 2014-09-06, 3:17pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

I use Whink rust remover. Just a couple of seconds in a very small cup and the metallic sheen is gone.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2014-09-06, 7:07pm

Thank you for all the suggestions!! I made a few more, tried working further out and that kept them from getting brown. I managed to make one with no silvery sheen. I'll try those other methods on the rest. I've been trying to get a large enough batch to tumble so I'll add a set to that and then try to find some of that Whink.

Thanks again
Old 2014-09-06, 8:02pm
It's all about the color.

Walmart has Whink.

You can also soak it overnight in Diet Coke.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Last edited by Listenup; 2014-09-06 at 8:19pm.
Old 2014-09-07, 5:01pm

Or regular coke
Old 2014-09-09, 5:00am
Glass-aholic

The brown around the holes is from working too hot. It's a nice color, but likes to be worked cooler. If you encase part or all watch for the brown to just magically appear out of thin air somehow. I like 273 better than 272 in newer batches. The old stuff was brilliant and didn't have nearly as much fuss. The newer stuff is a different color, way more grey brown than before.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: