No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-19, 4:57am
Help i am on fire

Default crackled ivory

how do you get that crackled ivory look? it's almost like a web covering the ivory beads. could someone please explain. thanks
Old 2010-09-19, 5:03am

the more you work it the more it crackles

some batches crackle more than others.
Old 2010-09-19, 5:11am
Unmedicated since '62

fume with silver or lay down thin stripes of intense black and cook the snot out of it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-09-19, 5:13am
Help i am on fire

well this look has black cracks like webbing. i have done the ivory crack look this looks different. i would should pick but it is someones elses bead and i don't want to post that.
Old 2010-09-19, 5:13am
Help i am on fire

okay thanks i got it.
Old 2010-09-19, 5:14am
Creatrixie

I can't say that it's the only rule, but if you use silver or silver glass (like DH Ekho) on top of Dark Ivory (as a thread, stringer, murrini, dot, or shard) you get a reaction between the glasses that manifests as darkening and crackling/curdling.

You should look into Amy (AKDesigns) Kinsch's "Taking Reduction Glass by Storm" tutorial...
Here's a thread where people have posted pics and discussed their results from her tutorial:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=140300

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-09-19, 5:19am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead-meltdown View Post
well this look has black cracks like webbing. i have done the ivory crack look this looks different. i would should pick but it is someones elses bead and i don't want to post that.
its ok to post a link to someone elses beads, just not the done thing to post actual pictures - if you ask the question "how do i make this bead?" someone will come along and smack you but if you say "this is a cool effect, is the technique common knowledge?" then if its someones deep dark secret they dont have to tell you but if its common knowledge (like the intense black webbing thing) someone will happily come along (like mwa ) and tell you.

its all in the etiquette

Old 2010-09-19, 5:20am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryFool View Post
I can't say that it's the only rule, but if you use silver or silver glass (like DH Ekho) on top of Dark Ivory (as a thread, stringer, murrini, dot, or shard) you get a reaction between the glasses that manifests as darkening and crackling/curdling.

You should look into Amy (AKDesigns) Kinsch's "Taking Reduction Glass by Storm" tutorial...
Here's a thread where people have posted pics and discussed their results from her tutorial:
oooh and triton, triton is cool for webbing too!
Attached Images

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2010-09-19 at 5:26am.
Old 2010-09-19, 5:37am
Help i am on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
its ok to post a link to someone elses beads, just not the done thing to post actual pictures - if you ask the question "how do i make this bead?" someone will come along and smack you but if you say "this is a cool effect, is the technique common knowledge?" then if its someones deep dark secret they dont have to tell you but if its common knowledge (like the intense black webbing thing) someone will happily come along (like mwa ) and tell you.

its all in the etiquette
not into making other peoples beads. my beads are kind of wacky like me. but i do like to use techniques that artists post and fuse them into my work. still don't feel comfortable about posting this persons link, it would not be a nice thing to do. everyone is so kind and giving here i don't feel comfortable hurting someone are stepping on toes. i will practice later and see if i get effect, i think i will. thanks
Old 2010-09-19, 5:38am
Help i am on fire

oh, my mind is working i have a cool idea will post later if it works. this is a teaser, lol
Old 2010-09-19, 5:46am
Help i am on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryFool View Post

love your wool beads, so cool.
Old 2010-09-19, 5:53am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead-meltdown View Post
not into making other peoples beads. my beads are kind of wacky like me. but i do like to use techniques that artists post and fuse them into my work. still don't feel comfortable about posting this persons link, it would not be a nice thing to do. everyone is so kind and giving here i don't feel comfortable hurting someone are stepping on toes. i will practice later and see if i get effect, i think i will. thanks
same - when i first started i drove people nuts with questions about techniques and such, most people were happy to tell me and some pointed me towards tutorials either free or pretty cheap, very rarely did i come across someone who flat out would not tell me how they did it