Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-12-23, 7:49pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Easiest way to get frit from the tray back into the 4oz jar is to dump the frit from the tray onto an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. Then hold the sheet of paper appropriately to slide the frit into the jar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-12-26, 11:59pm
Always learnin' & yearnin

one thing I have found useful are the clay terra cotta style pot saucers.... not sure what they are really called but the saucer plates you put under your potted plants....

you can get a dozen or so for about a dollar at the nursery. they come in all different sizes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-12-28, 6:56am

Run to Lowes, grab a piece of sheet metal ... cut a square as big as you want tray .... fold kinda like a m .... you have 2 sides and a nice 1/2 curve .... all done by hand and cheap
Old 2011-12-28, 7:17am
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkcpa View Post
Easiest way to get frit from the tray back into the 4oz jar is to dump the frit from the tray onto an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. Then hold the sheet of paper appropriately to slide the frit into the jar.
I just use a funnel , no fuss, no muss.

Old 2012-01-05, 1:43pm

Thank you all for the great ideas. I ended up ordering a 3 section frit tray from Mountain Glass Arts. Here's a picture:

I think it'll be a good investment - it looks to be perfectly sized for blown ornaments and tumblers. I tried a shallow stainless steel tray we already had, and I immediately understood why it needs to be shallow and why the gravy boat might not always work. Anyhoo, just wanted to thank you all for the great suggestions!

GTT Mirage - tanked oxygen & propane
I'm a lampworking novice who hopes to one day be worthy of my torch.
Old 2012-01-14, 2:10am
In the line of fire

My son is dabbling in boro lately, so I came to see what useful tips you've got for him in the boro room. That's why I have only now seen this thread...
We do custom tools (besides lampwork) and some of the more popular ones are our frit tray solutions. Thanks for pointing out the need for larger basins than usually called for with 104 glass. We can make our standard ones in larger sizes, if you need. These are the styles we've developed, all with the goal of getting the frit back in their containers easily:

Flips over for 2 sizes:

3 frits simultaneously:

Large tray with funnel end:

You can look at our website or PM me for more info.

Old 2012-01-14, 9:52am

I like these designs.

Old 2012-01-15, 1:28pm
In the line of fire

Thanks! Most our tools are solutions we came up with as a result of our own frustrations working in the torch (like wasting so much frit when trying to get it back in the containers).