No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-11, 11:46pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Question Help with identifying glass

I am putting these beads once more out for discussion, and I'm looking for the base color.

These are some of my very first beads with silver glass, when I just started out working with it. At that point I had only Effetre and Vetrofond glass plus Triton & Psyche silver glass.
Most probably end of 2006, early 2007. CIM wasn't even in the picture, and I know for a fact that I didn't own any Reichenbach, ASK, Kugler or other exotic glass colors at that point.
There are some striations in the glass.

The base color is NOT petroleum green (Effetre), which was suggested a couple of months ago.
Any ideas???? Thanks!

Etsy Vintage shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Webpage ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Judith Billig; 2012-10-12 at 12:06am.
Old 2012-10-12, 5:04am

copper green?

Old 2012-10-12, 6:48am
Lampworkaholic!

Vetrofond Ocean Green.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-10-12, 6:55am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

http://www.serenasbeadery.com/dnt1230.html

Can this be this color???

My Vetro Ocean Green always looked more like light turquoise when I used it.
http://www.serenasbeadery.com/dnt1927v.html

Do you have a picture of the rod??

Old 2012-10-12, 7:06am
Jacqueline Parkes

I discovered the beauty of Neptune for the first time this week. I had been sitting on my shelf for years.

Old 2012-10-12, 8:01am

Definitely not copper green.
I have the bead laying in front of me, and no - not Copper Green.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-10-12, 8:03am
Cheesehead Packer lover

Petroleum Green?

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2012-10-12, 8:07am
Cheesehead Packer lover

Oops. didn't read the whole first post, but I started lampworking in 2006, and that is the only color I had that even looked close. Maybe it's one of those pesky odd lots we have grown to love.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2012-10-12, 8:28am

I have some Effetre Grass Green Pastel (591216) that looks like this, same striations, or sea green which was similar
Old 2012-10-12, 8:35am

I just finished a bead that looks like these. It is effete copper green with triton. Do a quick bead and see if you agree. This is my favorite just now.
Old 2012-10-12, 8:49am

I don't think that Neptune was a color that was available back then.
And I ordered it for the first time 1.5 years ago.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-10-12, 8:50am

Deebee - nope, I'm 99.99 % sure it's not copper green.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-10-12, 8:50am
Lampworkaholic!

Neptune is a newer color.

What it really looks like to me is ASK Aloe Vera.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-10-12, 8:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionac View Post
I have some Effetre Grass Green Pastel (591216) that looks like this, same striations, or sea green which was similar
Did an Google image search, and depending on the pictures, this could be it!!!
On some photos (and the paddle) it looks completely different, but on others, and some vendor pictures, it looks very very similar.

I will give that definitely a try. Thank you!
Would have never thought to call this color Grass Green, but hey - what do I know?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-10-12, 8:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Vetrofond Ocean Green.
That could be it.
Dang, of course ... Vetrofond ...no longer in production. Argh.

Thanks for the guess, I will see if I can find it somewhere online.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-10-12, 8:57am

Quote:
Neptune is a newer color.

I know - but I never owned ASK Aloe Vera.
At that time I didn't own any ASK at all, just Vetro and Effetre.
And even now I have only 3 ASK colors ... unfortunately . Aloe Vera is not one of them, even though I really wish I had some of it.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-10-12, 11:11am
Storm Queen

It does look like ASK Aloe Vera. You could get the Kugler version and see if you like it. It would probably look very similar to that if you can't figure out what you used.

Old 2012-10-12, 11:41am

It looks like grass green to me too. I have an older bunch of it, no idea what the newer stuff looks like. I want to say it could be mosaic green, I have several different tonalities of it, including a transparent that turns opaque with annealing. I don't know what it would do with silver glass since it's a spreader, so....shrug.

Old 2012-10-12, 12:28pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Well if Neptune is new I guess I have not had it that long. I do not remember buying it so I thought it had been sitting here for a long time collecting dust. In any event, it is an interesting color.

Old 2012-10-13, 11:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Billig View Post
Did an Google image search, and depending on the pictures, this could be it!!!
On some photos (and the paddle) it looks completely different, but on others, and some vendor pictures, it looks very very similar.

I will give that definitely a try. Thank you!
Would have never thought to call this color Grass Green, but hey - what do I know?
must be Venetian grass ...
Old 2012-10-14, 6:08am
sunscreen me baby

Ocean green was more turquoise. I think it was probably grass green too.

~

Old 2012-10-14, 6:13am
A True Woofer

Quote:
This is what I think, too.

Old 2012-10-14, 7:10am

I've been having a green dilemma myself! I have a short that I love and I have no idea what it is! I've been searching and I think we might be looking for the same color. ABR has some Vetrofond and I ordered some Vetrofond dk grass green opaque pastel (791218--same # as Effetre petrol green) yesterday hoping it is the right color. I also thought it might be ASK Aloe Vera, and mine might very well be because I know I had at least one rod. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anywhere that had a Kugler color close. The rod on the left is the mystery rod. The one on the right is Effetre 218, petroleum green.

Old 2012-10-14, 8:06am
Lampworkaholic!

Looks like Mosaic Green on the left.

I believe this is the Kugler Aloe Vera:

http://hotglasscolor.com/b-86turquoise.aspx

And this is the Kugler Neon Green:

http://hotglasscolor.com/b-75applegreen.aspx

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2012-10-14 at 8:08am.
Old 2012-10-14, 8:18am
Disconnected

I third the Dk Grass Green 216, or CIM Elphaba unique-2
http://www.creationismessy.com/unique.aspx?id=22

Old 2012-10-14, 10:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
I third the Dk Grass Green 216, or CIM Elphaba unique-2
http://www.creationismessy.com/unique.aspx?id=22
Flonche, that was long before CIM came along.
I think I give the Dk Grass Green a shot, even though the paddle looks completely different.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-10-14, 10:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
This is what I think, too.
I know, it looks the part.
But I definitely didn't own any Kugler or ASK until years later. Also no gifted shorts.
I only had Effetre and Vetrofond at that time.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-10-14, 10:19am
Chief Creative Goddess

I vote old Mosaic green--mine looks like yours in the photo!

Old 2012-10-14, 11:24am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Mosaic green

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2012-10-14, 12:34pm
Loving learning

My mosaic green is transparent. Are you saying there is another one now, or was this an older version that is no longer available?